Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to get this phone soon, but was wondering whether it's really worth paying extra for the 9300 or should I go for the 8520.

I've never used or owned a Blackberry before and really all I'm looking for is:

- Fast internet via wifi and network provider
    - Reasonable battrey
    - OK camera
    - Multiple email use

Advice from freinds is just to get the 9700/9780 (Bold) but it's much more expensive and if I'm honest, I don't think I really need such a top-end blackberry, especially considering I've never owned one before.

So yeah, would you reccomend one? What are the pros and cons to the phone?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Bump

If you're after fast internet, at the very least you'll need the 9300 because it has 3G and the 8520 does not. The battery is excellent (will last over two days with heavy use) and the way BBs handle email is the best in the business.

However, as a 9700 user myself I can tell you that the internet speeds on BBs, even those on 3G networks, are not particularly quick. You can browse the web, download things and watch YouTube videos just fine, but it just isn't as quick as other smartphones (though the new browser in OS6 has helped with rendering speeds a little bit). Just something to be aware of if you're expecting to be using the internet heavily. I suspect not though, because if you were, you'd be going for a device with a larger screen.

The camera is only 2MP and it has a pretty poor sensor at that. The only sort of decent camera RIM has at the moment is the 5MP one on the 9800, 9780, and the 9670. If you're going to be taking a lot of pictures, particularly in dark conditions, you'll probably want to look at going for the 9780.

Hope that's helped a bit.

ReputationRep:
      Thanks for that

ReputationRep:
      Hi, just wondering what contract you're looking at? I was meant to get one today but carphone warehouse reckon I need to pay an extra fiver a month for 'blackberry services'? x

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.