Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    OK, I'm going to try and articulate what exactly it is I want answering here...

Obviously it's now very much TC season - firms are accepting applications and, in many cases, offering interviews/contracts on a rolling basis. This application process obviously goes through to the 31st July, with law school starting a month or so later. But law school applicationss are supposed to be in by February, whether or not we've secured contracts.

Now presuming I don't get a TC offer by Feb, I either have to apply for law school having no idea whether or not I'll secure funding for it, or decide now that I'm going to take a year out and get a TC offer before committing to the course.

I have what I consider to be a reasonably strong CV; a smattering of voluntary work, a few non-law work placements and a vacation scheme with a City law firm. My question is therefore: should I continue to apply for law school and just hope that I get a contract offer before Sept 2011 and the associated help with my GDL fees, or do I avoid applying for law school this time round and take a year to secure something before taking the GDL?

Further, if I decided to take time out but then got a TC offer, could I probably still get a place on the GDL applying after the Feb deadline?

Thanks all...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmaus)
    Just ignore the law school deadlines - they are basically meaningless.

If you get a TC, the firm will sort out your place. If you don't get a TC and decide to start in September anyway, the law schools will be happy to give you a place if you are able to pay. There's no reason why you would be forced to take a year out at this stage if you didn't want to.

Good luck with the applications!
    Thanks, that is really quite reassuring!

So I can just apply for TCs, try to secure one and then apply to law school in, say, August? That'd be acceptable practice?

It certainly makes me feel a lot better knowing that I don't have to commit to the GDL with no funding at this early stage...

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to thank you for creating this thread as it sounds like we're in exactly the same position and share exactly the same concerns!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmaus)
    Yes it's fine. I know the law schools tell you that places are limited, because they want you to sign up asap, but I know people at BPP who got places in September during the induction week. Also considering they have been opening new branches there is hardly a shortage of places, so don't worry!
    Cool, I'm pleased to hear it. I'll just focus on the TC side of things for now, then.

(Original post by Frances99)
    I just wanted to thank you for creating this thread as it sounds like we're in exactly the same position and share exactly the same concerns!
    No problem! It's a pretty worrying time for us prospective law students...especially with the lack of student finance available! It just makes the spectre of more debt that little bit more terrifying...!

ReputationRep:
    Its the same for prospective LPCers coming off a law degree

Because of this firms usually let people know in August (i.e. shortly before the law school deadlines).

I think a lot of firms will want you to take the GDL with a specific provider and consequently they MUST let you know before law school applications close... I think?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.