What's the difference between these??? Watch

Steviexh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I've noticed different courses that are, for example 'Criminology with Psychology Degree'

then there's 'Criminology And Psychology Degree'

what's the difference with the 'and' and 'with'??
sorry if i sound really dumb
Milwaukee
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Steviexh)
I've noticed different courses that are, for example 'Criminology with Psychology Degree'

I have been told that if it was a Criminology and Psychology degree the course content would be 50% each but if it was Criminology with Psychology the course content would be more Criminology than Psychology.
mehhhw/e
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
"and" means Joint honors
"with" takes on the American major/minor approach
bluewhale
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The use of the term 'and' is used to indicate a Joint Honours combination. This means that you will take an equal number of modules in both subjects. Your final degree classification will depend on your performance in both subjects. The use of 'with' indicates that the first named subject is worth a higher proportion of the degree. This means that you will take more modules in it during the course of the academic year. 'With' degrees are usually in a 60:40 combination at my University, but this will vary between institutions.
sportycricketer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Steviexh)

and = 50:50 subject content
with = 75:25/60:40 (depends on uni) subject content
bluewhale
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
[QUOTEand = 50:50 subject content
with = 75:25/60:40 (depends on uni) subject content
][/QUOTE]

I forgot to add that it is sometimes possible to taken modules from outside of your main department too. For instance, I am reading for a Joint degree in English and Theology. It is possible to take 'Free Electives' from the catalogue of available modules in the second and third years - and in the first year too, if it replaces the module for the subject other than English in various Joint Honours combinations.
Shelly_x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It varies between universities I have found. Mine is 'Fine art and English literature' but i can choose what ratio i want to study, and also have the option to take a language module.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (135)
62.79%
No I haven't decided yet (46)
21.4%
Yes but I might change my mind (34)
15.81%

Watched Threads