Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed different courses that are, for example 'Criminology with Psychology Degree'

then there's 'Criminology And Psychology Degree'

what's the difference with the 'and' and 'with'??
    sorry if i sound really dumb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steviexh)
    I've noticed different courses that are, for example 'Criminology with Psychology Degree'

I have been told that if it was a Criminology and Psychology degree the course content would be 50% each but if it was Criminology with Psychology the course content would be more Criminology than Psychology.

ReputationRep:
    "and" means Joint honors
    "with" takes on the American major/minor approach

ReputationRep:
    The use of the term 'and' is used to indicate a Joint Honours combination. This means that you will take an equal number of modules in both subjects. Your final degree classification will depend on your performance in both subjects. The use of 'with' indicates that the first named subject is worth a higher proportion of the degree. This means that you will take more modules in it during the course of the academic year. 'With' degrees are usually in a 60:40 combination at my University, but this will vary between institutions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steviexh)

and = 50:50 subject content
    with = 75:25/60:40 (depends on uni) subject content

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTEand = 50:50 subject content
    with = 75:25/60:40 (depends on uni) subject content
    ][/QUOTE]

I forgot to add that it is sometimes possible to taken modules from outside of your main department too. For instance, I am reading for a Joint degree in English and Theology. It is possible to take 'Free Electives' from the catalogue of available modules in the second and third years - and in the first year too, if it replaces the module for the subject other than English in various Joint Honours combinations.

ReputationRep:
    It varies between universities I have found. Mine is 'Fine art and English literature' but i can choose what ratio i want to study, and also have the option to take a language module.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.