Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is the Fiat 500 still a good car? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is this still a good car to buy?

Yes, it hasn't suddenly become crap in the last couple of months. I would never buy a basic one as a bloke though.

ReputationRep:
      Given the 500 is just a Panda with a differently styled body and an inflated price tag, try a Panda first before you part with money...

ReputationRep:
      Fiat 500 Abarth :sogood:

ReputationRep:
      i share my mam's fiat 500. 1.2, white, oh yeah very manly. performs well though

ReputationRep:
      I really love the look of them, they're so cute :cute:. I would really like to own one as my first car, but I need to pass my driving test first :moon:

ReputationRep:
      No offence, but the 500 is usually a girls car. If you want it, go for it, but don't blame me when people call you a poofter.

ReputationRep:
      Nice cars but really small and not particularly the most comfortable driving position

ReputationRep:
      i have one- a black 1.3 diesel 'sport'. got it in april 2008 brand new,and have done 106,000 miles on it.....a solid little thing,never let me down once so far (:

however if you have tall passengers...not so good.
      my mum and dad aren't even that tall (dad is 5'7, mum a bit taller at 5'9),yet neither like sitting at the back (especially behind my driver seat.....i have extra long legs so my seat is far back= eats even more into whatever rear legroom there was to begin with ;D)

and because bsm will no longer be teaching in fiat 500s (they are ditching them and going back to teaching in vauxhall corsas from next spring) there will soon be lots more cheaper ones to choose from in the second hand market (though would you REALLY want a car that used to be an instructor's car?think of the clutch, and the wheels/alignment.......) x

ReputationRep:
      What do you mean 'still'? :confused:

It's always been a great car, I've even driven one myself. But tbh, I second the views of the poster above who said that it's a girl's car. It's also a lot smaller inside than it looks!

(Original post by NOBODY MOVE!)
        and because bsm will no longer be teaching in fiat 500s (they are ditching them and going back to teaching in vauxhall corsas from next spring) there will soon be lots more cheaper ones to choose from in the second hand market (though would you REALLY want a car that used to be an instructor's car?think of the clutch, and the wheels/alignment.......) x
        If they're anything like Ford's scheme for vehicles like that, they'll get a thorough check over and any parts that need to be replaced will be. Their price will also reflect their condition.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by FXX)
        If they're anything like Ford's scheme for vehicles like that, they'll get a thorough check over and any parts that need to be replaced will be. Their price will also reflect their condition.
        ^ .......i guess i cannot argue with that.lets hope this is the case

though at the same time,i just still cannot see cars like former learner vehicles or business/company vehicles being as well loved as privately owned cars (especially fiat 500s,which is a kind of car i'd imagine the majority of owners being particular fond of/careful with- most 500s you see for sale on places like autotrader are all one-owner cars and/or low mileage),so i know that a former learner car just wouldn't appeal to me :/ how about you? you would buy one (or already own one)? ^^ x

ReputationRep:
        i have one- a black 1.3 diesel 'sport'. got it in april 2008 brand new,and have done 106,000 miles on it.....a solid little thing,never let me down once so far (:

however if you have tall passengers...not so good.
        my mum and dad aren't even that tall (dad is 5'7, mum a bit taller at 5'9),yet neither like sitting at the back (especially behind my driver seat.....i have extra long legs so my seat is far back= eats even more into whatever rear legroom there was to begin with ;D)

106,000 miles in less than 3 years!? What have you been doing in it, that is sky high mileage reserved normally for cars like taxis and workhorses!

I mean, that is over 3,200 miles a month!

Average mileage a year is 12,000 miles, so you are doing average mileage every quarter!

Or did you mean, 10,600 miles?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by gbduo)
        106,000 miles in less than 3 years!? What have you been doing in it, that is sky high mileage reserved normally for cars like taxis and workhorses!

Average mileage a year is 12,000 miles, so you are doing average mileage every quarter!

Lol I didn't notice that. :p:

Over 100K miles in 3 years would be impressive! It took my whole family when sharing one car 9 years to do that haha.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by FXX)
        Yes, it hasn't suddenly become crap in the last couple of months. I would never buy a basic one as a bloke though.
        There's been new cars released since and it could just be that other cars launched are an even better buy?

(Original post by JC.)
        Given the 500 is just a Panda with a differently styled body and an inflated price tag, try a Panda first before you part with money...
        I had the Panda at one time, it was alright. But we are looking for that 0.9 Twin Air engine as the car will go into the Congestion Charge Zone almost everyday.

(Original post by sparkjolt)
        No offence, but the 500 is usually a girls car. If you want it, go for it, but don't blame me when people call you a poofter.
        Thankfully it won't be me who will be driving it My gf will be driving it. TBH most small cars will bring about that poofter image for the majority of blokes LOL.

(Original post by DJkG.1)
        What do you mean 'still'? :confused:

It's always been a great car, I've even driven one myself. But tbh, I second the views of the poster above who said that it's a girl's car. It's also a lot smaller inside than it looks!
        Yes, it's definitely quite small on the inside. But we are used to a Mini....... so small on the inside is not really an issue. The Mini needs to go as it's costing too much for insurance and my gf is not into any fast driving, kinda a waste to go about in the Mini.

(Original post by DJkG.1)
        Lol I didn't notice that. :p:

Over 100K miles in 3 years would be impressive! It took my whole family when sharing one car 9 years to do that haha.
        I did 92k miles in 2 years Was doing auditing then.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by gbduo)

no....106,000miles in 32 months is correct ^^

other than driving 60 miles to and from work every day (i work 7 days a week over 2 jobs),on my free time i regularly travel to and from europe (i am not fan of air travel) to visit family in lithuania,or watch WRC rally events in countries (this year i went sweden, bulgaria,finland and turkey,all by car with ferry, as well as the gb rally in wales) =D

.....however my car is nothing compared to my dad's 2004 toyota prius - that has over 370,000miles! but he does delivery jobs for work,so that makes more sense :}

ReputationRep:
        no....106,000miles in 32 months is correct ^^

other than driving 60 miles to and from work every day (i work 7 days a week over 2 jobs),on my free time i regularly travel to and from europe (i am not fan of air travel) to visit family in lithuania,or watch WRC rally events in countries (this year i went sweden, bulgaria,finland and turkey,all by car with ferry, as well as the gb rally in wales) =D

.....however my car is nothing compared to my dad's 2004 toyota prius - that has over 370,000miles! but he does delivery jobs for work,so that makes more sense :}
        Ah fair play to you, a girl who likes WRC

:adore::adore:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by gbduo)
        Ah fair play to you, a girl who likes WRC

:adore::adore:
        *offers palm through your computer monitor for highfive* ;D

i have a photo with sebastien loeb and his co-driver (looks funny as i tower over both of them, =D),next to his citroen at the end of the event in bulgaria.........it is my desktop picture on my laptop and home computer, and background on my phone ^^'
        you ever been to any WRC events yourself? (:

ReputationRep:
        *offers palm through your computer monitor for highfive* ;D

i have a photo with sebastien loeb and his co-driver (looks funny as i tower over both of them, =D),next to his citroen at the end of the event in bulgaria.........it is my desktop picture on my laptop and home computer, and background on my phone ^^'
        you ever been to any WRC events yourself? (:
        *high five*

I must admit, i only watch WRC occasionally, I am much more of a F1 fan(natic) and been to a few F1 events (GB twice, Monaco, Monza and Hockenheim) but I have never been to WRC. I have always been interested in doing it, it is much cheaper than F1 and the drivers skill is amazing.

So yeh, I definitely plan on going to a WRC event in the very near future!

Graham

ReputationRep:

x
        Wow..you drive alot!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.