Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I get a HIV test? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've waited a few months since possible exposure. I just wana put my mind at ease. Also what does the test entail exactly? Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamps08)
    I've waited a few months since possible exposure. I just wana put my mind at ease. Also what does the test entail exactly? Cheers.
    You go to a local Gum clinic. they do a blood test simples.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    You go to a local Gum clinic. they do a blood test simples.
    Not the piss test then?

ReputationRep:
    Not the piss test then?
    No, I've had a blood test for HIV and syphillis, the test comes together. Waiting for the results.

ReputationRep:
    No, I've had a blood test for HIV and syphillis, the test comes together. Waiting for the results.
    Do you just walk in like usual then? Btw I'm not gay

ReputationRep:
    Do you just walk in like usual then? Btw I'm not gay
    You google your nearest clinic, ring them up, and they can usually make you an appointment for within 48 hours.

ReputationRep:
    You google your nearest clinic, ring them up, and they can usually make you an appointment for within 48 hours.
    Ok cheers pal. Did you leave it atleast 3 months, or does that not matter?

ReputationRep:
    Ok cheers pal. Did you leave it atleast 3 months, or does that not matter?
    Erm well mine isnt specifically for that, I've been basically tested for every std all in one go for one reason or another. Long story!lol The only possible time it could've been was over a year ago.

ReputationRep:
    In some clinics you can get a rapid HIV test.
    Rather than the full blood test and a week or two wait for the results they just prick you on the thumb and put the blood on a little stick. Results are ready in 10minutes or so.

Might be worth looking for the nearest clinic that does that because the wait for a HIV test is nerve wracking as hell.

ReputationRep:
    Erm well mine isnt specifically for that, I've been basically tested for every std all in one go for one reason or another. Long story!lol The only possible time it could've been was over a year ago.
    When did you get your test results back/when did you get tested?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfc20)
    When did you get your test results back/when did you get tested?
    I got tested 13 days ago, Im supposed to find out tomorrow but it's closed because of Christmas so I find out on the 30th

ReputationRep:
    I got tested 13 days ago, Im supposed to find out tomorrow but it's closed because of Christmas so I find out on the 30th
    Ah ok. Reading this thread it seems as if youre in a very similar situation to I was! Im getting tested Wednesday because of one time unprotected over a year ago.

How long did the full talk/check up take btw? And did they test you for everything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mfc20)
    Ah ok. Reading this thread it seems as if youre in a very similar situation to I was! Im getting tested Wednesday because of one time unprotected over a year ago.

How long did the full talk/check up take btw? And did they test you for everything?
    I'll give you a run down. Arrived for my appointment. Had to fill in a questionnaire . Went to the appropriate floor and had to wait for my name to be called out. I was absolutely terrified and felt disgusted with myself, you don't think of the consequences. I then went in to a room and a doctor questioned me and then I had to go wait again. I then got called into another room where they examined me and took swabs for everything. I then had to go wait again. I then got called to a nurse and had my blood taken. She then gave me some antibiotics to treat me as if I had something because my partner was showing symptoms. ( I'm still with my partner , it was over a year ago when I first moved to uni that I was taken advantage of by 2 guys on 2 occasions , he thankfully understands i wasn't willing in anyway for it) so yeah. Process took about 2 hours and I was shaking like a leaf. I was quite judgemental at the time because I was surrounded by people that looked like druggies and whatnot which made me more on edge. So maybe bring a friend with you or something.

ReputationRep:
    To catch HIV from one exposure is very unlikely. Wikipedia states that woman to man has 0.04% chance and man to woman 0.08.

ReputationRep:
    She then gave me some antibiotics to treat me as if I had something because my partner was showing symptoms.
    They shouldn't give you antibiotics to take unless they have tested you and got a positive reading back. :hmmm:

This happened to me once. I went to my local clinic for a check up because I was experience some pain during sex and the nurse said "oh it must be chlamydia or something". She gave me loads of antibiotics to take.
    (It turned out not to be chlamydia or any infection!! :mad:)

Unsuprisingly I was sick as a parrot from this cocktail of antibiotics she gave me and I went to my GP. When I told him they had treated me without testing me his face was like :lolwut:

So yeah... next time don't take anything unless they actually test you for it!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by secret_smile)
    They shouldn't give you antibiotics to take unless they have tested you and got a positive reading back. :hmmm:

This happened to me once. I went to my local clinic for a check up because I was experience some pain during sex and the nurse said "oh it must be chlamydia or something". She gave me loads of antibiotics to take.
    (It turned out not to be chlamydia or any infection!! :mad:)

Unsuprisingly I was sick as a parrot from this cocktail of antibiotics she gave me and I went to my GP. When I told him they had treated me without testing me his face was like :lolwut:

So yeah... next time don't take anything unless they actually test you for it!!
    Omg I was really sick too! Did they give you azithromycin? I threw up in the middle of town, sweating and shaking!

ReputationRep:
    Omg I was really sick too! Did they give you azithromycin? I threw up in the middle of town, sweating and shaking!
    To be honest I have no idea what they gave me.
    She gave me atleast 4 different antibiotics so yes azithromycin probably was one of them.
    The reason why they just hand the antibiotics over is because they are trying to stop the spread of chlamydia and would rather treat people as a precautionary measure than wait for results :rolleyes:
    It really shouldn't be allowed.

I was much much iller than you by the sounds of it. I was in hospital for a few nights and ended up missing the majority of my A2 year recovering.

Now that you mention it... I had an allergic reaction to azithromycin when I was a baby and haven't had it since.
    If you were given it then the chances are so was I.

ReputationRep:
    I'll give you a run down. Arrived for my appointment. Had to fill in a questionnaire . Went to the appropriate floor and had to wait for my name to be called out. I was absolutely terrified and felt disgusted with myself, you don't think of the consequences. I then went in to a room and a doctor questioned me and then I had to go wait again. I then got called into another room where they examined me and took swabs for everything. I then had to go wait again. I then got called to a nurse and had my blood taken. She then gave me some antibiotics to treat me as if I had something because my partner was showing symptoms. ( I'm still with my partner , it was over a year ago when I first moved to uni that I was taken advantage of by 2 guys on 2 occasions , he thankfully understands i wasn't willing in anyway for it) so yeah. Process took about 2 hours and I was shaking like a leaf. I was quite judgemental at the time because I was surrounded by people that looked like druggies and whatnot which made me more on edge. So maybe bring a friend with you or something.
    Ah ok, when the doctor questioned you did he say anything like 'Oh well youre not high risk for this' etc? And outline where you were most at risk?

ReputationRep:
    It's nowhere near as terrifying as you might think, they do however ask you many pretty personal questions. When I had mine done, I had 1 thought in my mind; they have seen it all, they have heard it all, so... I said a lot like "... if you see what I mean..." they really have seen it all. The reason the ask you all these questions is try to establish whether or not you are hight risk. It was over and done with in no time. I have had to done the same thing twice because the first time was done too soon. Anyway, if you are worried about bumping into someone you know or for whatever reasons then go to one that is in a posh area, you don't have to go to your nearest one you can go to any GUM Clinic you like in the country. I live in a rough area in London but with in the central London hence I decieded to go to the one near work. And guess what? I was the only person who look like a a grud addict due to my contant lack of sleep. People really don't care why you are there all they care is what they can do the help you. And after all, I always think by taking the step to get checked out is a sign of be responsible. If you are old enought to have sex then you should be old enough to be responsible for yourself and your partner. I dumped my ex coz he refused to get tested and told me "If I am dying then I don't want to know..." Well, I do, stupid *******, he was the reason why I had to do the tests twice.

(Original post by ExTraP)
    It's nowhere near as terrifying as you might think, they do however ask you many pretty personal questions. When I had mine done, I had 1 thought in my mind; they have seen it all, they have heard it all, so... I said a lot like "... if you see what I mean..." they really have seen it all. The reason the ask you all these questions is try to establish whether or not you are hight risk. It was over and done with in no time. I have had to done the same thing twice because the first time was done too soon. Anyway, if you are worried about bumping into someone you know or for whatever reasons then go to one that is in a posh area, you don't have to go to your nearest one you can go to any GUM Clinic you like in the country. I live in a rough area in London but with in the central London hence I decieded to go to the one near work. And guess what? I was the only person who look like a a grud addict due to my contant lack of sleep. People really don't care why you are there all they care is what they can do the help you. And after all, I always think by taking the step to get checked out is a sign of be responsible. If you are old enought to have sex then you should be old enough to be responsible for yourself and your partner. I dumped my ex coz he refused to get tested and told me "If I am dying then I don't want to know..." Well, I do, stupid *******, he was the reason why I had to do the tests twice.
    Once you talked to them about your history, did he then say 'You're at not much risk tbh' or something along those lines to ease your mind?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.