Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm SO confused. I'm taking a gap year out, and I'm 75% certain I wanna do one of the two long-term as a career.

I've got no idea what's the difference, the more I read, the more similar they sound.:confused:

Any interpretations of definitions welcome!

Oh yeah, also, considering my interest in both, would any of the below degree courses be a big 'no-no'?

1) Psychology + Philosophy
    2) Philosophy
    3) Philosophy + Theology

ReputationRep:
    I've got no idea what's the difference, the more I read, the more similar they sound
    Psychoanalysis is one of several approaches within psychotherapy, in the same way "Biology" is one aspect of "science". Other commonly practiced psychotherapies include Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Systemic Therapy and Interpersonal Therapy. A good starting place is the book "Introducing Psychotherapy" by Benson and Van Loon, which is easy to read and in cartoon format, and I use it a lot in teaching with good results.

Oh yeah, also, considering my interest in both, would any of the below degree courses be a big 'no-no'
    While none of those degrees will make you a therapist, none of them will stop you becoming a therapist in the future. In fact many therapists don't have degrees at all, and training often values life experience over academic ability.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.