Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

In my situation, is it worth going to University? Watch

ReputationRep:
    To get into a decent University, I need to do two A Levels via distance learning which is costing me £800. Due to not being able to find a job in the unjust, and ridiculously way people are hired, I have wasted 6 or 7 months sitting at home everyday which has forced me to take two years out. I got two Bs in my normal A Levels in English Literature and History, and need two As - grades that I am very unlikely to attain, in the new ones. What also puts me off is that I am not a social person, and would not fit in living in halls - living anywhere else is out of the question. Moreover, I will turn 21 in the first year amongst 18 year olds. This really puts me off. I'll feel so out of place and awkward. Worth going?

ReputationRep:
    you've pretty much answered your own question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rylit91)
    To get into a decent University, I need to do two A Levels via distance learning which is costing me £800. Due to not being able to find a job in the unjust, and ridiculously way people are hired, I have wasted 6 or 7 months sitting at home everyday which has forced me to take two years out. I got two Bs in my normal A Levels in English Literature and History, and need two As - grades that I am very unlikely to attain, in the new ones. What also puts me off is that I am not a social person, and would not fit in living in halls - living anywhere else is out of the question. Moreover, I will turn 21 in the first year amongst 18 year olds. This really puts me off. I'll feel so out of place and awkward. Worth going?
    Depending on where you go, a lot of people will have done gap years - a minority will have done two. This would make them only a year or two younger than you which isn't as a big a deal as you make out. Students are students.

As for lacking social skills, surely going to university and actively trying to improve them should be a driving force for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rylit91)
    You sound like you don't want to go.

But if you do, go for it - education is open to everyone.

Some comforting words you might like to hear: I can't seem to get a "proper" job even with a degree - so if you don't go, you'll probably save some money.

Uni is no longer an investment.

It's an un-necessary necessity.

If you are not a social person, a degree is pointless career wise because the job place needs good social skills. Just stick with OU if you want to get a degree.......

ReputationRep:
      I don't have the answer to the other stuff, but the age thing, my cousin has gone into a undergraduate course at the age of 22 (Or 23, I can't remember his exact age) and age hasn't been a problem, albeit he is a very social person.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.