Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok, So I'm a first year mathematician at Oxford. I've been kind of feeling that maybe I'm not doing the right course, and I've been falling behind all term.
    Now if I pass my exams at the end of this year, great, maybe I'm wrong
    But I've been having this really annoying worry in my head ever since 1st week that I'm not going to be able to pass my exams, in which case I would be kicked out.
    Do any of you think it would be sensible, if I honestly think that there is a good chance of me not being at Oxford next year, to apply to a couple of other universities now just as a back up, to save me having a year out and starting uni when I'm 21 and having to pay triple fees?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblle)
    Ok, So I'm a first year mathematician at Oxford. I've been kind of feeling that maybe I'm not doing the right course, and I've been falling behind all term.
    Now if I pass my exams at the end of this year, great, maybe I'm wrong
    But I've been having this really annoying worry in my head ever since 1st week that I'm not going to be able to pass my exams, in which case I would be kicked out.
    Do any of you think it would be sensible, if I honestly think that there is a good chance of me not being at Oxford next year, to apply to a couple of other universities now just as a back up, to save me having a year out and starting uni when I'm 21 and having to pay triple fees?
    I'm doing first year history at Queen Mary after missing my offer to do Law at Cambridge by 3 marks ><" and i've reapplied to uni...mine is a slightly different case because i don't really want to do a history degree anyway. But there's no harm in reapplying - you can get the offers and confirm your unis, and if you decide you don't want to change course/uni because you do pass your exams, then you can just withdraw your place. Apart from paying the UCAS application fee and doing any admissions tests etc. there's no loss in reapplying, in my opinion. it is near the general deadline though, so if you want to reapply then you should do so soon!! good luck with everything!!

ReputationRep:
    Go for it!
    Deadline is in 3 weeks though.

xoxo

ReputationRep:
    if u do reapply do you rekon uni's will put up a condition and say u must pass ur first year or gt a first or whatever to attend uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thivi92)
    if u do reapply do you rekon uni's will put up a condition and say u must pass ur first year or gt a first or whatever to attend uni?
    Some do, but it's more common for a second year transfer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thivi92)
    I called up the unis i applied to and they said that i needed a min of high a 2:1 as my condition. UCL said they WOULD want about 65% and LSE WOULD want 68% for my first year if they gave me an offer=S

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluebubble)
    I called up the unis i applied to and they said that i needed a min of high a 2:1 as my condition. UCL said they WOULD want about 65% and LSE WOULD want 68% for my first year if they gave me an offer=S
    Is this for applying for 2nd year transfer? If this is for first year then surely this makes no sense as they generally take into account of your A level results only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AXERTYRE)
    Is this for applying for 2nd year transfer? If this is for first year then surely this makes no sense as they generally take into account of your A level results only.
    nope. this is for first year. they said they will initially take into account alevel results but if they DO decide to offer you a place, you'll need to meet their requirements. i think it's generally giving an opportunity to those who narrowly missed their grades at alevel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluebubble)
    nope. this is for first year. they said they will initially take into account alevel results but if they DO decide to offer you a place, you'll need to meet their requirements. i think it's generally giving an opportunity to those who narrowly missed their grades at alevel?
    hmm this is interesting, I will email some of the unis and ask for more information on this matter.

EDIT: I guess it's different for each courses as I just received an unconditional offer.

ReputationRep:
    can you accept an offer from the new uni straight away or do you have to drop out of the uni you are currently attending to firm an offer?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i was at Loughborough Uni doing Fine Art and i realised the course wasn't right for me. I spoke with my tutors about transferring to an Illustration course. I managed to secure a place on that course for Oct'11, and i'm currently on leave of absence from Loughborough until then. However, i spoke with a student support officer and he informed me that whilst on LOA im able to apply to other universities through Ucas.
    Could be something to consider as it opens up your options whilst secturing a back up.
    Take care,
    Leanne

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kc91)
    can you accept an offer from the new uni straight away or do you have to drop out of the uni you are currently attending to firm an offer?
    I've been told that you can confirm your firm and insurance like you would usually, and that you should ideally drop out of your current uni once the year ends...

My advice...if you have a conditional offer based on first year results, then just confirm your unis on ucas as usual, but don't drop out of your current uni until you have confirmed you have a place at your new uni otherwise you might not have either place!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.