Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to spot those amazing photo opportunities Watch

ReputationRep:
    When I go travelling with friends I always come out with mediocre photos of me/my friends and random scenery. When I compare photos with my friends they always take these amazing photos, usually good scenery (the type you could frame!) or just random little things that I would generally not notice. How can I learn to also take good photos like this? Any guides? I've read all the basics about zoom, light etc and after I did this my photos did improve a lot, but not enough!

My camera isn't one of those amazing bulky ones with the massive lens, it's just 14mp with at least 10x optical zoom. But I can still take decent photos with it.

ReputationRep:
    theres no set procedure...just keep taking loads and loads of photos so there are bound to be some good ones in there...and it doesn't matter if some are rubbish, you can just delete them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billa Bong)
    theres no set procedure...just keep taking loads and loads of photos so there are bound to be some good ones in there...and it doesn't matter if some are rubbish, you can just delete them
    Oh trust me I do take millions, most of them are bin worthy!

Maybe I just don't have the natural talent required :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    well i guess you need an eye for it but everyone can appreciate beauty if they see it and should be able to capture that in a camera...just keep at it and try to take some pics of household items, around your yard, around town and try to capture something unique and different and it should give you some much needed experience as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaloo)
    When I go travelling with friends I always come out with mediocre photos of me/my friends and random scenery. When I compare photos with my friends they always take these amazing photos, usually good scenery (the type you could frame!) or just random little things that I would generally not notice. How can I learn to also take good photos like this? Any guides? I've read all the basics about zoom, light etc and after I did this my photos did improve a lot, but not enough!

My camera isn't one of those amazing bulky ones with the massive lens, it's just 14mp with at least 10x optical zoom. But I can still take decent photos with it.
    I took this on a cameraphone in 2009:

Seems fairly impressive, but only if you aren't privy to the hundreds I had to discard.

ReputationRep:
    Candid photos turns out to be the good ones sometimes.

Just take loads of photos and choose the best one later when you're all done.

ReputationRep:
    This is how I find good photo opportunities: daydreaming essentially. I'm always looking somewhere wherever I am; especially when walking or on the train. Looking at the sky might be a good start. I see a lot of sunset opportunities(usually with clouds)

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you just need inspiring? look around the photo site Flickr and you'll start to see the little things that make up a good picture.
    One of the important things is definitely framing, take alot of time to consider how you're framing your surroundings, cause in my opinion a good composition can make the ugliest scenery something amazing.
    Maybe post a photo or two for us to give you advice on?

ReputationRep:
    Try looking for some good sceneries in Deviantart.com

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried TV photos?

It’s something I used to do when bored and now I can get quite a few amazing shots when out and about. All you need is a good TV preferably a led better quality. Then just find a good movie/ programme and take photos of the screen while you’re watching I managed get an awesome shot of blade before in his movie. You can always try live sport you might even get a better shot that some papers. This way it will help you gain great shots on your camera and you don’t have to go far to get them.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

I've read all the replies and taken them in. I think my main issue is framing. Just noticing something good to take a photo of instead of taking pictures of random buildings. Does anyone have any good advice/know any good articles about how to find good frames (of big scenery or small things)?

ReputationRep:
    Composition, composition, composition

http://photoinf.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by westy89)
    Composition, composition, composition

http://photoinf.com/
    Amazing Flickr

ReputationRep:
    Take a look at Rule of Thirds for framing tips and also have a look at the other ones as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard710)
    Take a look at Rule of Thirds for framing tips and also have a look at the other ones as well
    Ironically that's the only framing rule I've been using for the last 5 months (I have the grid on my camera and everything!) but thnx!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaloo)

It's not so much how you're taking the photos, it's what you're seeing as a photo opportunity. For example, when I'm on holiday with my dad he likes to take photos of what things look like, getting accurate representations of things. Whereas I'll take a photo of the same thing, but see it with a different eye. He'll be standing in front of a building taking a front on photo, whereas I'll be laying on the floor getting a zany angle.

Try just seeing things from a different point of view (: And also, if your friends are taking a photo of something, take a photo of something different. That way you won't have to compare as much. x

ReputationRep:
    I just walk around thinking about my camera. If I'm constantly thinking about what would make a good photograph, it's easier to take good ones than if I just expect good things to jump out at me.

ReputationRep:
    baamp

ReputationRep:
    This is just my take on ****:

Everyone tells me I have a superb eye for composition, and photography in general.
    But I dont see it like that.

Yes of course I try and look for a good photo opportunity, but generally I go out to take photography with a set idea of what I want to come back with in my head.
    I think that helps. It gives me a target to aim for, instead of just wondering around seeing a nice scene and then trying to take a photograph of it, because like that I tend to get bored, and the photographs are poor, unoriginal and well... ****
    You can learn things about composition for sure. But if you don't have the natural talent its useless.

Read up on composition OP, it will help a hell of a lot.

ReputationRep:
    I personally want to see examples of these amazing pictures your friends are taking, compared to the ones you take. I doubt you're as useless as you think you are compared to them.

Also, decent camera does not equal decent composition. That's down to you. Use the rule of thirds: http://www.digital-photography-schoo...rule-of-thirds

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.