Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Into The Wild Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    For those of you that have seen this film, did it inspire you as much as it did me? It came upon me slowly, as most inspirations, in my case, do - the first viewing was midly interesting, the second was rather engaging, and by the third and fourth viewing (all within a week of each other) I was in absolute awe of this film.

It is certainly far from flawless, much like the protagonist itself (however much the film would like you to believe otherwise) but there is something so spellbending about Christopher McCandless, his beliefs, his journey and his final comprehension that just seem to speak to me. It goes beyond being a film, beyond the often nauseatingly spiritual dialogue and other little details that bothered me, it goes beyond that to be something more.

So to those of you that have seen it, what do you think? First on a cinematic level (on that note I thought Emile Hirsch, the annoying little bell from The Girl Next door, was excellent) did you think it was a good film, and secondly did you take anything from it like I did?

If you haven't seen it, I urge you to do so. I'll give you a snippet of the film, no more. Here's the opening lines and a photo of the man himself, Christopher Johnson McCandless, a.k.a Alexander Supertramp (if you were wondering at all, this film is based on a true story)

"Greetings from Fairbanks!
    This is the last you shall hear from me Wayne. Arrived here 2 days ago. It was very difficult to catch rides in the Yukon Territory. But I finally got here. Please return all mail I receive to the sender.
    It might be a very long time before I return South. If this adventure proves fatal and you don't ever hear from me again, I want you to know your a great man. I now walk into the wild. Might be a very long time before I return South...
    I now walk into the wild."

ReputationRep:
    Omg, this is by far my favourite movie, I watched it a year or two ago, and was absolutely inspired by it. For weeks I was just repeating that line "These, things, things, things!" LOL, I didn't buy stuff for ages and would go well these things, things, things
    It was such a warm movie because it was different, it wasn't revolving around love and the usual, but about materialism. I don't know, but it was 'deep'.

Sorry, I suck at reviews and what not, but since I've seen this movie it has always been one of my favourite, so I thought I'd share.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ma3arf)
    Omg, this is by far my favourite movie, I watched it a year or two ago, and was absolutely inspired by it. For weeks I was just repeating that line "These, things, things, things!" LOL, I didn't buy stuff for ages and would go well these things, things, things
    It was such a warm movie because it was different, it wasn't revolving around love and the usual, but about materialism. I don't know, but it was 'deep'.

Sorry, I suck at reviews and what not, but since I've seen this movie it has always been one of my favourite, so I thought I'd share.
    *Like*

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's just sad he got pwnd by grass

ReputationRep:
    I heard this film was really great and so got the DVD but, to be honest, I could barely watch the whole film. Didn't find it inspiring at all...

ReputationRep:
    Yes, a great film... But, it didn't inspire me that much.

To be honest, he was ****ing stupid for doing it... I can understand his intentions, though.

If he had a map with him he would have most likely survive. When he tried to cross the river, he didn't know there was a crossing a few miles upstream.

ReputationRep:
    It was an insightful journey into a life without materialistic and capitalistic values, and did explore some great concepts. I particularly liked the bit when he realized that happiness is only real when shared. I guess that aspect had an inspiring effect on me although the film in no way has made me want to burn all my money, abandon my family and rough it alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Supertramp)
    For those of you that have seen this film, did it inspire you as much as it did me? It came upon me slowly, as most inspirations, in my case, do - the first viewing was midly interesting, the second was rather engaging, and by the third and fourth viewing (all within a week of each other) I was in absolute awe of this film.

It is certainly far from flawless, much like the protagonist itself (however much the film would like you to believe otherwise) but there is something so spellbending about Christopher McCandless, his beliefs, his journey and his final comprehension that just seem to speak to me. It goes beyond being a film, beyond the often nauseatingly spiritual dialogue and other little details that bothered me, it goes beyond that to be something more.

So to those of you that have seen it, what do you think? First on a cinematic level (on that note I thought Emile Hirsch, the annoying little bell from The Girl Next door, was excellent) did you think it was a good film, and secondly did you take anything from it like I did?

If you haven't seen it, I urge you to do so. I'll give you a snippet of the film, no more. Here's the opening lines and a photo of the man himself, Christopher Johnson McCandless, a.k.a Alexander Supertramp (if you were wondering at all, this film is based on a true story)
    It didn't inspire me enough to change my TSR username to the main character's name, but I agree, it is an incredible, inspirational film that altered my view on life.

ReputationRep:
    It's my favourite movie, I love it.

ReputationRep:
    I thought this film would be right down my alley but actually I found it extremely overrated... and quite frustrating at how stupid he was.

The ending was good, but I have no desire to ever watch it again.

(Original post by neutralmilkhotel)
    It's my favourite movie, I love it.
    Semen stains the mountaintops... :music:

ReputationRep:
    I loved it. When I first saw it I played it every night for about a week. It's a gorgeous film, and Christopher is such a free spirit and true to himself.
    Then after maybe the 15th time of watching how ridiculous he was and how he could have easily survived. It doesn't stop it from being a gorgeous film though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shook)
    Semen stains the mountaintops... :music:

:thumbsup:

ReputationRep:
    Great soundtrack and great movie.

Really inspirational and a great story and the cinematography was spellbinding! Really made me feel for the guy when he was about to shoot the deer but the baby deer was behind her

Yeah, it's a great film.

ReputationRep:
      I like that it was based on a real story but the film seemed a little cliché .. has anyone read the book?

oh and +1 for the Pearl Jam music

ReputationRep:
      I have a lot of love for this film, I may just read the book.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.