Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Handicapping system for university entry Watch

ReputationRep:
    We all know the privately funded schools send more of their students to the elite unis especially Oxbridge than the state sector. There are a variety of reasons why this is so such as better facilities and teaching. This disadvantages students of equal ability from less well resourced schools and colleges.

I would like to propose a handicapping system that puts everyone on a level playing field when it comes to applying to unis. One could do it on grades such as lower grades for state school students compared to the private sector. This ensures the better off don't effectively buy places at the elite unis for their kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    We all know the privately funded schools send more of their students to the elite unis especially Oxbridge than the state sector. There are a variety of reasons why this is so such as better facilities and teaching. This disadvantages students of equal ability from less well resourced schools and colleges.

I would like to propose a handicapping system that puts everyone on a level playing field when it comes to applying to unis. One could do it on grades such as lower grades for state school students compared to the private sector. This ensures the better off don't effectively buy places at the elite unis for their kids.
    The already happens at some universities. If you meet certain conditions e.g poorly performing school, extenuating circumstances, then you have lower entry requirements. The problem is that there is no practical way of putting people on a level playing field without blanket discrimination.

The whole reason we have exam boards and standardised exams is so that people are awarded a grade based on their ability, not how much they payed to be taught. Of course our system is flawed, but a scheme of the nature that you suggested would effectively belittle the achievements of those who went to private school...just because they went to private school

If there is objective evidence that a particular school is underperforming, or that the applicant suffered some form of emotional or physical difficulty then that should be taken into account, but these cases must be viewed on a case to case basis.

I understand what you are saying, and so do the universities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    They don't have the 'equal ability' otherwise they'd have received equal results in their exams. They may have had equal potential, but so did most people at some point in their early lives.

What a silly idea. You shouldn't be punished for going to a private school. Want to go to an elite university as a state school student? Go and get the same grades. It's not difficult to understand.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Genocidal)
      What a silly idea. You shouldn't be punished for going to a private school. Want to go to an elite university as a state school student? Go and get the same grades. It's not difficult to understand.
      The point is that if you go to a private school, you will almost certainly end up with higher grades than if you had attended a state school. This is why a state-schooled student at university is more likely to get a first than his privately educated peer, as they both got the same grades, but the priv has less academic ability.

In my opinion, when making offers, universities need to take into account the massive advantage privs have over state educated applicants. In my opinion, AAA at a private school is on par with BBC at a low performing state school. Privs shouldn't be getting anywhere near Oxbridge unless they get 4 or 5 A*s.

ReputationRep:
      Great, another attempt at shortening the stick in the name of "equality" instead of looking to fix state education. Did I miss an election where Labour got back into power?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Teveth)
      The point is that if you go to a private school, you will almost certainly end up with higher grades than if you had attended a state school. This is why a state-schooled student at university is more likely to get a first than his privately educated peer, as they both got the same grades, but the priv has less academic ability.

In my opinion, when making offers, universities need to take into account the massive advantage privs have over state educated applicants. In my opinion, AAA at a private school is on par with BBC at a low performing state school. Privs shouldn't be getting anywhere near Oxbridge unless they get 4 or 5 A*s.
      Some/most of the cleverest people I know at Oxford wouldn't have got 3 A*s let alone 4 or 5. If you did this you would just be encouraging private schools to teach even more for the exam, rather than teach to educate.

Where do you get all these 'facts' from anyway?

(Original post by Maker)
        This ensures the better off don't effectively buy places at the elite unis for their kids.
        No it doesn't. It ensures that parents just send their children to state schools instead, and spend the thousands of pounds they save on private tutoring for their children.

Rather than telling parents they shouldn't use their resources to help their children get a good education, I think we should focus on encouraging other parents to put a greater priority on education. This can be done by trying to encourage a culture that values intellectual achievement more. And part of that includes getting parents who don't currently spend money on extra tuition to think about doing so.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.