Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Working at A&F/AA/Hollisters Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    To work at these places do I need to look like a model? ie being over 6ft and having a model face?

My sister got an interview offer from AA so I was wondering whether or not I should go apply later in the future?

I was thinking in the summer or something.

ReputationRep:
    Abercrombie's recruitment is rather strict, based quite a bit on their looks policy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abercro...tch#Employment
    Employment

The company uses "brand representatives", now called "models," for store customer service. The models had been required to buy and wear Abercrombie & Fitch apparel, but following a company settlement with California state labor regulators may now wear any no-logo clothing as long as it corresponds with the season. The California settlement also provides $2.2 million to reimburse former employees for their forced purchases of company-branded clothing.[16] An "Impact Team" was created in 2004 to control merchandise within each store and maintain company standards; "visual managers" are responsible for forms, lighting, photo marketing, fragrance presentations and to ensure models comply with the "look policy".[17] Lawsuits have been filed against the company due to alleged discriminatory employment practices. In 2004, in Gonzalez v. Abercrombie & Fitch Stores (see Legal issues & Controversy and Criticism below), the company was sued for giving desirable positions to white applicants, to the exclusion of minorities.[18][19]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Threepigs)
    To work at these places do I need to look like a model? ie being over 6ft and having a model face?

My sister got an interview offer from AA so I was wondering whether or not I should go apply later in the future?

I was thinking in the summer or something.
    For which position and do you have any tips?

ReputationRep:
    For Hollister you have to be able to see in the dark and have a very good American accent.

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview for Manager trainee but don't think I would be able to start it until a year's time. Should I go the interview and maybe try to get a part-time job there meanwhile?

ReputationRep:
    I worked at Hollister and i'm no model.
    Seriously, I wouldn't bother, it was a horrid job, I only lasted a month. Standing there for hours saying 'heyyyyy' in a crappy American accent and folding clothes in the dark certainly wasn't my idea of fun. The money was terrible for the amount of work i had to do. NEVER AGAIN.

ReputationRep:
    Well anyone can work in A&F and Hollister.... As long As your white, over 5 ft 7, have medium sized breasts and one TINY ass.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you want to work there?

ReputationRep:
    Wait, do Abercrombie force you to buy the clothes or don't they just give you the uniform?

ReputationRep:
    i noticed that this thread is quite old but just incase others are looking into it for advise.

I worked at american apparel, got the job through an open call. I had no idea what american apparel, only went because i was desperate for a job. Im not tall, skinny etc, the manager just liked my personal style. At the time i hated working there because it was so far away from where i lived and they all treated me like a baby because i was the first 16 year old to be hired, which sucked.

Now i work at abercrombie, and honestly you dont have to be amazing looking. Although looks may count, its also based on their vacancy. Even though they are always hiring, sometimes they might be desperate to recruit one thing than the other (eg. impact, model, visual).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 27, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.