Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Does anyone know any equivalent programmes to the JET programme for being hired to teach/work abroad and be intensively taught the language?

Preferences would be Japanese, Spanish and China/Mandarin.

I will be a Graduate with a good undergrad degree as of mid 2011.

Thanks for any ideas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liberty00)
    Hi all,

Does anyone know any equivalent programmes to the JET programme for being hired to teach/work abroad and be intensively taught the language?

Thanks for any ideas.
    You can do this with any language without having to sign up to a programme. Just do an English teaching qualification in the UK. Then fly to a country of your choice, teach English, and enrol in some language lessons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liberty00)
    Hi all,

Thanks for any ideas.
    I have friends who have done English teaching in South Korea, Japan (w/ JET), Taiwan, and Costa Rica.

Here's a bit I've heard about each:

South Korea - Very easy to get a job offer. Language schools (called Hagwons) are privately owned and profit motivated. I've heard awesome things and horror stories about experiences over there, all basically depending on how nice or how shrewd the owner of the school is.

Japan (JET) - I've heard only great things about the program. The only downside is that the cost of living in Japan can be quite expensive

Taiwan - A friend of mine moved here after he did a few months in Korea. He considered this to be a step up, they paid better, better working conditions.

Costa Rica - By far the best experience I've heard about. My friend was teaching motivated adult students (most of the students in Asian countries will be very young). You're also in Costa Rica which is absolutely beautiful.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.