Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Been having an occasional problem with my laptop for a while and I'm out of ideas now. Basically, sometimes it will keep changing the volume by itself. It has a touch-sensitive slider thing that can be used to change the volume which flashes when used. When this problem happens, it will flash by itself and the laptop will change it's volume (either up or down) automatically, unmuting itself if I had muted it. It usually keeps happening for a while, meaning the volume gets locked either on mute or maximum. I have the latest sound drivers, no external sound devices, and rebooting doesn't fix it, it just seems to go away eventually.

The problem happens once every week or two, it's not a constant thing. Anyone got any ideas what could be causing the volume to change itself?
    Will give the full spec if needed, but I can't imagine that most of it's relevant.
    HP 6735b, ~2 years old
    Windows 7 Professional 32 bit

Thanks.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Potentially a hardware issue? Try it on Safe Mode? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Haven't actually tried that yet. Cheers, will give it a go next time it does it and see if it helps.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    Haven't actually tried that yet. Cheers, will give it a go next time it does it and see if it helps.
    :awesome: You could format it, if you're bored. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spikeymike)
    :awesome: You could format it, if you're bored. :p:
    Well I am bored but not quite sure I'm that bored just yet. I've got a spare hard drive I can try to see if that's where the problem is, but will go with safe mode first as that would be so much less hassle.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.