Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've sort of come to a crossroad between these two. I was just wondering the pros and cons of both of these and what both courses are like? Also which one would be better for getting a job in 5 to 9 years? I'm in year 11 now and I need to make my A level choices, so if I choose medicine I'll do maths, biology, chemistry and physics, and if I choose engineering I'll do maths, further maths, physics and chemistry.
    I'm kinda geared towards medicine at the moment because I'd quite like to help people.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    go for medicine. Good subject choices by the way, all three sciences is a very useful thing.

and if you like helping people the choice is obvious

ReputationRep:
    i'll say Medical. It's a two in one. you get a good job and you help people too.

ReputationRep:
    Try and get some work experience (if you haven't) and see if medicine is suited to you. That's the best way to decide. Try hospitals or volunteering in old people's homes etc.

EDIT: Do the above AFTER your exams obv.

ReputationRep:
    Medicine is the way forward, but don't do it because then you are one less competitor to me!

ReputationRep:
    You're getting advice from people who don't seem to know what the hell they're talking about, first of all you need to take a long hard look at why you want to study either of them since its hard to really see any parallels apart from you liking science, they're just not the same thing at all. Then you can get into thinking about what A levels to go for and whatnot, I'm sure that if you change your mind your school/college has some provision for swapping subjects. For now just concentrate mostly on your exams, when not doing that, then do some research, its what the internet's for.

ReputationRep:
    like u i cant also decide which one to choose. this jan session i appearin my A2:math , further, bio, physics n chem. @Sparkle*92: by the way what was ur result ?all As? getting A in bio seems pretty difficult to me

(Original post by miledd)
      I've sort of come to a crossroad between these two. I was just wondering the pros and cons of both of these and what both courses are like? Also which one would be better for getting a job in 5 to 9 years? I'm in year 11 now and I need to make my A level choices, so if I choose medicine I'll do maths, biology, chemistry and physics, and if I choose engineering I'll do maths, further maths, physics and chemistry.
      I'm kinda geared towards medicine at the moment because I'd quite like to help people.
      Thanks
      I did engineering first and now doing medicine..

With engineering, you tend to work with one company and work on major problems at a time whereas in medicine, its different. Also, with engineering you work with certain constrains and with medicine, its nearly all of those plus the emotional and psychological side so I see it as more of a challenge.

Engineering can also "help" people, not just medicine.

Why not just do all 5 at AS anyway, you will be able to have more of an idea what areas you like!

ReputationRep:
      As other posters have suggested, do some work experience in both areas to see what appeals to you.

If you still haven't decided by the start of year 12, you could either look into engineering courses to see which want further maths. If there are ones that you would be happy to apply for that don't want it, then you could take biology to keep your options open for a bit longer. (Not suggesting it the other way round as I don't know if engineering requires further maths, but most medical schools do want As/A2 biology now). Alternatively, if you're up to it/college will let you, you could take chem, maths, phys, bio AND further maths at As, then drop one or 2 for A2 when you have decided what it is you want to study.

ReputationRep:
      Depends what you think you would prefer, both are hard work, valuable, and offer safe jobs.

Mum mys a GP and im a graduate engineer, theres a lot of similaritys but i dont think either would be suited for the others job. My grandad did a year of medical and then swaped to engineering.

Daniel

ReputationRep:
      Judging by the state of the NHS, do engineering. Technology is going forward everyday. Medicine seems to be getting worse everytime I end up in that giant box of decaying dreams across town they call the area hospital.

Though that's just my experience.

The hard reality about being a doctor is that you're going to spend years getting qualified to deal with self-entitled prats who think you have the cure for everything and that it is their right to have you cure them when they probably make a negligible contribution to national insurance, if any. Helping people? Tell me that in 20 years time.

Edit: To the person who negged me I have one thing to ask.

AM I WRONG?

ReputationRep:
      I'd say that your first set of choices (maths, biology, chemistry, physics) would suffice for bother career options. Further maths is often stated as desirable not compulsory.

Go for what you like, if you choose something just because it has better careers prospects you will regret it because:

a) People that love the subject will become much better than you
        b) You will spend the rest of your life doing something that you don't like and stay in it just for the money.
        c) The university assignments would become a nightmare because you will get no joy out of doing them.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
      Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.