Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have a First Class Degree in Physics, what do I do next? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I have never known what to do with my life.

I am 24 and have a 1:1 BSc in Physics, but am stumped as to which direction to take. I chose the subject due to interest but also due to lack of direction, as I was aware the Degree can be valued in varible situations. I am not largely motivated by money.

I am more than competent socially, but am a geek at heart, and since finishing Uni I have regressed to working part time and spending the remainder practising advanced mathematics. I do have a keen interest in sound physics, but most jobs in that sector tend to be allocated on a 'who you know' rather than a 'what you know basis'.

Not quite sure what to expect in terms of a reply to this ambigous question, but it feels better just writing it down.

ReputationRep:
    Rule the world.

ReputationRep:
    Got no idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoffman11)
    I have never known what to do with my life.

I am 24 and have a 1:1 BSc in Physics, but am stumped as to which direction to take. I chose the subject due to interest but also due to lack of direction, as I was aware the Degree can be valued in varible situations. I am not largely motivated by money.

I am more than competent socially, but am a geek at heart, and since finishing Uni I have regressed to working part time and spending the remainder practising advanced mathematics. I do have a keen interest in sound physics, but most jobs in that sector tend to be allocated on a 'who you know' rather than a 'what you know basis'.

Not quite sure what to expect in terms of a reply to this ambigous question, but it feels better just writing it down.

What's a 1:1? methinks you not real bro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    What's a 1:1? methinks you not real bro.
    1:1 = first. And yes, 1:1 is a real term, although not commonly used.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowing)
    1:1 = first. And yes, 1:1 is a real term, although not commonly used.
    which uni uses it?

ReputationRep:
    Try your careers service? Try companies' websites that hire physicists (e.g. NASA)? Do you want to even do something physics related? Do a PhD/masters if you want to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dirac Delta Function)
    which uni uses it?
    I don't know, I don't keep a list of which universities do, but I have come across the term 1:1 when researching MSc courses.

ReputationRep:
    Get a real job...earn some money...have childern...dont let them do physics at university....and die.OK?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swayum)
    Try your careers service? Try companies' websites that hire physicists (e.g. NASA)? Do you want to even do something physics related? Do a PhD/masters if you want to?
    Fairly irrelevant fact but only Americans can work in the space sector in the USA, even private companies can't hire foreigners. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I'd definitely try and get a doctorate, aiming my research at a field in which I'd eventually like a job. With a 1:1 you'll definitely be able to study for one, there's help on finding postgraduate placements here.

ReputationRep:
    You could always teach it. If you have a degree in anything math-related, Sarah Cameron will personally suck your **** if you go into teaching. They're like "OMFG HE CAN DO MATH GET HIM IN A CLASSROOM NAO!"

Honest.

Okay maybe I lied about the cocksucking bit, but the rest of it is pretty much spot on.

If you don't fancy teaching, try post-grad in a specific field of physics that you're interested in. You have a 1:1 in one of the most desirable subjects there is. There's not a lot you can't do, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks @ilickbatteries @nochance @maskofsanity @swayum

ReputationRep:
    Ashley Banjo from Diversity!!

He did physics at uni tooo

ReputationRep:
    Defo a postgrad and maybe a reseacher at a place like CERN

ReputationRep:
    Teach :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    If you are really stuck for ideas head into finance. I've heard the maths skills from degrees like physics are highly sought after

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    You could always teach it. If you have a degree in anything math-related, Sarah Cameron will personally suck your **** if you go into teaching. They're like "OMFG HE CAN DO MATH GET HIM IN A CLASSROOM NAO!"
    D'you mean Samantha Cameron? The other one was Sarah Brown. I doubt that either have a penchant for mass-fellatio, however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoffman11)
    My brother went into programming from his physics degree. Physics is well regarded in that field I think.

But I'm sure there is a lot you could do with it, there aren't that many other 1st physics grads for you to compete with (relatively) and it's a strong degree - so you're in a good position really.

You might want to page through the employment section of the new scientist magazine.

(Original post by Mithra)
      Fairly irrelevant fact but only Americans can work in the space sector in the USA, even private companies can't hire foreigners. :dontknow:
      Woah, woah, woah - really?

What about universities like Harvard and Princeton and that?

:eek:

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.