Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, People I am completely confused here and would appreciate some help

Well we are currently studying harmonic oscillators as with IR spectroscopy from reading the book for a while I has grasped that you can imagine the chemical bond and a spring and balls, and the spring will vibrate back and forward through the equilibrum length Ro.

But then it goes on about how the energy levels on the harmonic oscillator are quantised, so only certain vibration energy levels are allowed, it then gives you a calculation to work out the vibrational energy EV:

EV = (v+ 1/2) H/2pie (( K/Mass effective)1/2)

I get that they have substituted h into the equation instead of using Hbar and constant and mass effective to avoid using W,

But what exactly is H??? Or H bar?? I can't see this anywhere in the book and also later on it says all of the energy levels are the same as in a Harmonic oscillator, why do would you need to calculate them???
    I’m not even sure that I have grasped the basic concept of the harmonic oscillator yet. I am completely confused and any help given will be gratefully received

ReputationRep:
    h is a number called Plank's constant (h bar is just h/(2*pi)) and is equal to 6.626×10-34 Js-1

The harmonic oscillator is a model for a chemical bond (it's not perfect), the energy levels of the (quantum) harmonic oscillator are an approximate guide to the energy states that chemical bonds exist in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    h is a number called Plank's constant (h bar is just h/(2*pi)) and is equal to 6.626×10-34 Js-1

The harmonic oscillator is a model for a chemical bond (it's not perfect), the energy levels of the (quantum) harmonic oscillator are an approximate guide to the energy states that chemical bonds exist in.
    Ohhh lol Feel a tad bit stupid for not realising it was plank's constant

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.