The Student Room Group

Going shopping on my own - yay or nay?

I really wanted to go shopping to see if I could pick some stuff up in the sales but don't want to go with friends because they take forever in shops I don't like and I felt like going where I wanted to. I would have gone with my sister but she's sorta 2-faced and is only nice to me when she wants to shop. My mum doesn't want to go so I'm left with going on my own. Is this kinda weird and does anyone else go shopping on their own? Just asking because I'm likely to see lots of people I know when I go.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I prefer going shopping on my own. If I am just browsing, I don't mind going with others.

Since when did shopping become a social occasion?

So yeah, it's a non-issue.
Reply 2
Going shopping on your own is better if you don't want to be dragged around shops you aren't interested in by other people..
Go on your own. I do all the time, I prefer to be alone if I need to try things on etc.
Reply 4
Some things are better when you are on your own.... sometimes.
Reply 5
When you're with your friends, do you take notice of people on their own?
Reply 6
I often go by myself. It means I can spend as long as I like in whatever shop and don't get board (I'm not a good shopper and am generally board after a couple of hours max. and ready to go home). Doesn't really matter if you see people you know as you could just say your in a rush/tag along with them if your lonely/tell them the truth and smile.
Reply 7
Have you seriously never been shopping by yourself? Do you seriously have to ask if it's okay?

I worry about some people, I really do.
Reply 8
(edited 13 years ago)
I shop alone aswell :smile:
I really fail to see the problem.
I go shopping on my own, when I'm looking for something specific. I can't shop with friends because they're too distracting!
Reply 12
I only go shopping by myself. Oh no, am I a loser??!
I hate going shopping with other people if I'm looking for a new dress or just browsing. But I love going out with other people shopping as a social activity, if you see the difference?
honestly, people need to develop some independence and stop caring so much what other people think. Life isn't one big social pantomine.

In short, it's fine. I generally always go shopping on my own because me and my friends have different interests in terms of the shops we like to go to. And even if we like the same shops, we like different things, and overall, want to distribute our time amongst places differently. It's Christmas sales, it's gonna be hectic, if you wanna shop, then tbh, the last thing you need is other people tagging along and being dead weight. Go and shop till your hearts content.
Reply 15
I always go shopping on my own if I have the choice. It's not weird. At least, I hope it's not considered weird. :L
i've been shopping with friends only about twice since i was 15. i much prefer shopping on my own.
I hate going shopping with other people. I hate waiting for people to browse and try things on and feel uncomfortable letting them wait for me to do the same. Also, where some people could spend a whole day browsing and shopping, I go around like I'm on a timed mission and I'm bored after 2-3 hours max, which would drive my friends mad. The only person I ever shop with is my brother because we have a similar taste and attitude to shopping.
Reply 18
If I need specific things (as you do), I go by myself.
If I want to hang/catch up with friends, I go "shopping"/browsing/lucky if I find something-shopping with them.

Don't worry, its perfectly normal :smile:
I prefer going shopping on my own :smile:
I'm one of those shoppers who doesn't piss about browsing, I can scan the shop quickly without having to spend hours looking at everything! Then I can get more shopping done, and faster!

Quick Reply

Latest