The Student Room Group

Going shopping on my own - yay or nay?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I do sometimes...its not a big deal
I like to shop by myself. When I go with friends I usually don't buy anything, it's just easier to concentrate on what you want/need if you're alone, plus you don't have to feel like you're bothering people by dragging them round a shop to find one specific thing you want.

Why don't you try online shopping, if you can?
Reply 42
I always prefer going shopping on my own and it amazes me that some people think it's odd to go alone?! I remember once someone at work said to me, 'how come whenever I see you shopping in town you're never with anyone?' and I remember saying 'err... because I actually like shopping on my own?!' And now I'm at uni if I say I'm going into town my flatmates are like, 'On your own? Do you want us to come with you? Will you be ok?!', like I can't go on my own and will be hunted down by sales assistants...

I don't really see shopping as a social activity, I like shopping and I'm serious about it, I like that I'm not holding everyone up when I want to spend a lot of time in a shop, no-one's judging the shops I choose to buy things from, I have plenty of time to try things on and I don't have to go in loads of other shops I don't want to go in. The only other person that I enjoy shopping with is my mum because she knows me exactly and what sort of thing I like :smile:
Reply 43
Why is this even a thread lol?

I generally go shopping on my own, so I can take my time/hurry/whatever applies at the time.

Its much better imo.

Whilst on the topic about sales - Oxford Circus was MADNESS - Work (NikeTown) was sooo mad, trainers on the mens floor went v quick!)
Reply 44
I ALWAYS go clothes shopping on my own. I refuse to go with anyone else. I like taking as much time as I want and trying stuff on, which I dont think you can when you're with other people. Plus I hate that thing where if you're with someone you have to go into all the shops they want to but you dont like!!
Reply 45
Original post by Rainbow-Dream
I really wanted to go shopping to see if I could pick some stuff up in the sales but don't want to go with friends because they take forever in shops I don't like and I felt like going where I wanted to. I would have gone with my sister but she's sorta 2-faced and is only nice to me when she wants to shop. My mum doesn't want to go so I'm left with going on my own. Is this kinda weird and does anyone else go shopping on their own? Just asking because I'm likely to see lots of people I know when I go.

I don't really understand why you've been negged for this?

I always go shopping on my own. It means you don't have to spend time looking at stuff you're not interested in buying, and considering how horrible shopping is during sales times, this can only be a good thing.

Also, whenever I go shopping with other people I always end up buying something I don't really like, just because they've convinced me it looks good. When you're by yourself you only get what you really like, which is much better.

Don't worry about shopping by yourself. I think when we're younger we get this idea that you can't do anything unless you're with other people because it makes you look a bit loser-ish, but if you really look when you go shopping you'll see plenty of people by themselves. It's really not a big deal.
Reply 46
the thread starter sounds insecure.

I shop alone, because I might go around shops comparing prices before I actually buy something or I through all the shops in town before I decide what to buy, this is time consuming so no one would want to go through that with me.
Just go on your own...
Goddamnit.
Reply 49
OP, no offence but you sound like a complete idiot, you've never gone shopping on your own and have to create a thread to decide whether or not to?

You gonna create a thread next time you have to take a dump to ask if you should do that alone too?
Reply 50
I only really enjoy shopping with my mum, or by myself. I like being able to take my time trying things on, and getting to visit all the shops I want to. Also, I'd rather spend my wages on one amazing thing than a lot of inexpensive stuff, and I don't like it when people make me feel bad about spending a lot of money on something.
Reply 51
i prefer shopping alone...... plug in my ipod and wonder round in my own time. very theraputic.
I usually go on my own. I didn't realise people didn't... :lolwut:
I like to go shopping with friends, but only now and then ... or if both of us need something/we're bored.
:facepalm:

It's not really that weird. I go shopping by myself sometimes if I cba to go with someone, usually if I'm looking for something specific and I don't want other people slowing me down!
I actually prefer going shopping on my own. I can go where I want and try on things for as long as I want without people influencing me to buy things I'll end up regretting. :p:
I like shopping with friends, but I like shopping alone too. I don't know why it'd be at all weird to...
Reply 56
When you're in a shop and look around at other people in the shop, the majority of people are shopping alone - or is this just an observation I've made?
:lolwut: Nothing wrong with it.

I shop on my own quite a bit ( I think i prefer it a little bit more..if i'm actually having a good look around for something because i take ages)..

Enjoy going with friends too.. although i dont get much done.. especially if one of us is in a hurry or if one of us wanders off and never answer our phone, but its kind of worse if one of their bf is with us lol... end up rushing out :/
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending