Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I have been getting very close with one of my mates but he is nearly 6 years older than me (im 19 and first year of uni). We are really into each other but the age gap concerns him in the way that he feels we are in different places in life, and i go to uni 250 miles away and the distance bothers him.

Feel like I should just forget him and move on but neither of us can let go. Its really confusing because Id rather have him and be miles away than not have him at all, but obviously I can't change how he feels about distance.

any ideas? x

ReputationRep:
    Go for it, if you clearly are infatuated with this man then he's clearly worth a long distance relationship.. is he cute?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the age gap is weird, you're old enough to have a gap. Its weird if you are 14 and he's 20, but when you are 19 and he's 25 thats perfectly fine. Some of my friends have 7 and 8 year age gaps. I have 4 year age gap.

With distance, I don't really have any other experience than that you usually drift apart after being away from eachother for a while. So, if you want to forget him, it will of course be hard at first, but you might find it easier as time goes.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.