Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

University Lecture help please lecture not taking - Kindle Vs Asus EA Note taker Watch

ReputationRep:
    Right,
    So i'm trying to work out a good way to take notes in lectures. I tend to annotate my lecture slides given because i find it easier that way than writing pages of notes(I have ADHD and i study computer science so annotating diagrams is a much better thing to do).

So, i was thinking maybe getting a kindle + a tablet. I could write notes onto the digital copies via the tablet, and then read them when i wanted to, via the kindle....but it's gonna be a bit of a pain messing around with transferring stuff.

The other option is http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/mob...e-note-ea800/1

But no release date it out yet, although it is said to be soon. I'd be able to take notes fantastically, as it's all combined...and it allows one to read more formats than the kindle. One of the downsides however is the poorer screen.

I reaaally struggle with note taking and having pages and pages of stuff. I also need an ereader for some of the Uni textbooks etc because it strains my eyes looking at computers and i'll save money by downloading em rather then buying 50quid a time books.

So yea, suggestions? What kind of things do you do for note-taking?

ReputationRep:
    have you thought about a piece of paper and a pen?

ReputationRep:
    Can't you just buy a ringbinder? o.0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riotgrrl)
    Can't you just buy a ringbinder? o.0
    I did last semester - but it means countless printing out the lecture slides so i can annotate them.
    It means printing them all BEFORE the lecture which can be a little tricky at times.
    And in the end i had so much, i required 2 ring binders, and i can't carry those on top of everything else i need.
    And i kept forgetting them or bringing the wrong one.

Ty for the reply =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    I did last semester - but it means countless printing out the lecture slides so i can annotate them.
    It means printing them all BEFORE the lecture which can be a little tricky at times.
    And in the end i had so much, i required 2 ring binders, and i can't carry those on top of everything else i need.
    And i kept forgetting them or bringing the wrong one.

Ty for the reply =)
    Do you need all your notes for each lecture? I find taking notes with a pen and paper far more versatile than sitting there with a laptop. I'm not talking reams and reams of writing, just notes from the lecture. Then sit down and write up the notes with diagrams from slides/handouts. Whack them in a ringbinder for revision time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    Do you need all your notes for each lecture? I find taking notes with a pen and paper far more versatile than sitting there with a laptop. I'm not talking reams and reams of writing, just notes from the lecture. Then sit down and write up the notes with diagrams from slides/handouts. Whack them in a ringbinder for revision time.
    The problem with just taking just notes and stuff is quite often i tend to loose them...Or they get scrunched up if their not in folders etc

I struggle with note taking because i either write down too much detail or not enough important things. Or im too busy trying to remember what was said and get it down, that i forget other important peices of information, like the definition of a word that will then be used the entire lecture - and i wont know what it means!

Therefore annotating the lecture slides with things i dont understand in a lecture, seems to work much better . I can then re-read it and understand it, and write proper notes on it after when i can allow the notes to sink in as i find also during lectures, i dont understand whats being said, even if im writing it down!

Ty for reply =)

ReputationRep:
    So glad i found this thread....i'm in exactly the same situation as you OP. Great minds think alike with the tablet and all!
    I'm a unorganized physics student with lots of paper notes, with graphs on/ lecture slides/ handwritten notes etc.
    So I've sent kindle support an email with lots of questions concerning this. Some of the questions may apply to you, though i don't know what you're studying. But my questions that i asked were as follows:
    1.) I know the kindle supports pdf format but will it display picture? (if i were to draw a graph on my graphics tablet on a word document with text above and below the graph, saved the whole file as a pdf and put it on my kindle. Would i then be able to read these notes, including seeing the graph as well on the kindle?)
    2.)Does it show pictures? (I know it doesn't have colour, but say i have a .jpg image (possibly a photo) on a word document. Would it display the picture on the kindle (lack of colour isn't a concern)
    3.)Little question: Does it support powerpoint presentations? (It's not a major problem because i can simply save as a pdf)
    4.) I hear that it's possible to browse the web with the inbuilt wifi if i have a wifi connection at home, is this true? Can i browse hotmail, facebook, google, amazon etc?
    I'm sure there's some other things that I've forgotten, but those were the most important questions.

I sent the email about 10mins ago so i let you know what they say.
    Cheers
    Nathan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    Right,
    So i'm trying to work out a good way to take notes in lectures. I tend to annotate my lecture slides given because i find it easier that way than writing pages of notes(I have ADHD and i study computer science so annotating diagrams is a much better thing to do).

So, i was thinking maybe getting a kindle + a tablet. I could write notes onto the digital copies via the tablet, and then read them when i wanted to, via the kindle....but it's gonna be a bit of a pain messing around with transferring stuff.

The other option is http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/mob...e-note-ea800/1

But no release date it out yet, although it is said to be soon. I'd be able to take notes fantastically, as it's all combined...and it allows one to read more formats than the kindle. One of the downsides however is the poorer screen.

I reaaally struggle with note taking and having pages and pages of stuff. I also need an ereader for some of the Uni textbooks etc because it strains my eyes looking at computers and i'll save money by downloading em rather then buying 50quid a time books.

So yea, suggestions? What kind of things do you do for note-taking?
    budget?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nathanielgamma)
    So glad i found this thread....i'm in exactly the same situation as you OP. Great minds think alike with the tablet and all!
    I'm a unorganized physics student with lots of paper notes, with graphs on/ lecture slides/ handwritten notes etc.
    So I've sent kindle support an email with lots of questions concerning this. Some of the questions may apply to you, though i don't know what you're studying. But my questions that i asked were as follows:
    1.) I know the kindle supports pdf format but will it display picture? (if i were to draw a graph on my graphics tablet on a word document with text above and below the graph, saved the whole file as a pdf and put it on my kindle. Would i then be able to read these notes, including seeing the graph as well on the kindle?)
    2.)Does it show pictures? (I know it doesn't have colour, but say i have a .jpg image (possibly a photo) on a word document. Would it display the picture on the kindle (lack of colour isn't a concern)
    3.)Little question: Does it support powerpoint presentations? (It's not a major problem because i can simply save as a pdf)
    4.) I hear that it's possible to browse the web with the inbuilt wifi if i have a wifi connection at home, is this true? Can i browse hotmail, facebook, google, amazon etc?
    I'm sure there's some other things that I've forgotten, but those were the most important questions.

I sent the email about 10mins ago so i let you know what they say.
    Cheers
    Nathan
    It does have an inbuilt browser btw, but it doesnt look very good. I have a netbook so web-browsing is fine for me.

Thankyou , please do share the replied you get =)

ReputationRep:
    What about something like? http://www.amazon.co.uk/NEWLink-Digi...5570175&sr=8-2

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.