Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a year 12 student and I really want to study geology/geophysics at Imperial.

I'm taking geography, geology, physics and maths at AS, but I don’t know what I'm predicted yet (on the website it says I need AAA or possibly AAB).
    I might get that, but do you need really good GCSE results? And do they put much emphasis on the interview- i.e. do they like work experience, extra curricular stuff?

Oh and any idea what i should drop next year?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and work experience will be good. Try to do the BEST you can

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I applied for Aeronautical Engineering at Imperial this year so I may be of some help. Aero Eng. is *apparently* the most oversubscribed or most competitive course there is (something like that) and my GCSEs are a lot worse than yours (and I have an offer) so they shouldn't worry too much about that.

Prior to my application I asked about how much they value GCSEs and they said they'd only be worried if you didn't have any As at all. If you have an A* (or at least an A) in the core subjects for your desired course (I guess Geography, Physics, Maths - sorry don't know anything about geology/geophysics) then you have a fighting chance.

How my application went: Everyone who had the potential to meet the minimum offer (i.e a predicted grade of maybe 1 grade lower than their minimum offer received an interview). The interview was stated as formal, but when I entered the tutor's room, he basically told me it's informal, don't worry etc.. A few days after my interview I received my offer (and I knew my interview didn't actually go that well). Goes to show it's not as hard as it sounds to get the offer (but that's just the first step).

About what you should drop.. it's a really hard choice there to be honest. I don't think Geology itself isn't a well known A-level course, so I don't think it will even be stated in your offer. But then again you don't want to drop what you want to pursue. Physics is obviously important for Geophysics, and Maths only helps aid that (but I'm sure it will definitely be in your offer, as will Geography). To be honest it would probably be best not to drop anything in your second year.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also another offer-holder, albeit for Biomed Engineering. Your GCSE results are brilliant - what the hell are you talking about?!?! :P

Anyway, if this will reassure you: add comms do scrutinize how an applicant's performance changes from GCSE to A-level. Say for example there was someone who underperformed during GCSEs but ended up getting good AS grades - it could either be because:
    a) they worked exceptionally hard in AS year and turned themselves around academically
    b) they underperformed because of some difficulty (death/illness etc) but are usually brilliant students.

If that's the case, the referee will most likely explain that in their statement. Plus, getting good grades in itself shows potential, and you *will* most likely be given a chance to explain how you improved so much.

Same goes for people who did good in GCSEs but missed out on AS grades because of some hiccup that was beyond their control (not because they lost touch on the work/play balance) - your referee will be more than happy to explain that, and if need be, they might ask you about it at interview.

The reason I know that ICL might ask you this is because I know for a fact that they ask you other Q's besides bog-standard academic stuff (a'la Oxbridge.) Case in point: my own interview experience.

I was lucky (in a perverse way) to get the Head of Department (Prof. Ethier) as one of my interviewers - my first question wasn't even related to the course! He asked me what it was about music that I enjoyed the most (my UCAS app documents my extracurricular involvement in music.) We even briefly chatted about my summer job at my dad's old workplace (a call center), and his subsequent canning/laying-off - so he got to know a bit more about me there They also might ask about how you think you'll cope with the idea of living in London, because there *are* people who get daunted by that...!

(Don't worry, we did descend into geekdom later with talk about transdermal injections, stem-cells derived from bacteria, and the use of GFPs in diagnosis. So that's passion for the subject taken care of! )

Bottom line: if you've worked hard to the best of your ability and are a keen, enthusiastic student, they can't say no; because it will shine through in every aspect of your app - including the interview (so long as you don't talk in Klingon to the interviewers!) And more than anything, write your PS in a coherent manner.

And yes, extra-curriculars are definitely good (they've got the most clubs and societies in any university, for crying out loud! XD); but don't just pick the activities you think will look good on your application - pick your EC activities because you truly enjoy them.

G'luck when app season rolls around - who knows, might see you there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilliehear)
    Hi, I'm a year 12 student and I really want to study geology/geophysics at Imperial.

I'm taking geography, geology, physics and maths at AS, but I don’t know what I'm predicted yet (on the website it says I need AAA or possibly AAB).
    I might get that, but do you need really good GCSE results? And do they put much emphasis on the interview- i.e. do they like work experience, extra curricular stuff?

Thanks
    Only drop a subject if you think it will impair your ability to do well next year. As for GCSE results, it's easy to worry, but trust me, as long as you have a few A*s it's alright.

ReputationRep:
    Any idea if you need really good GCSE results? I got 4A*, 8 A, 1 B (and already an A at as level) do you think that'll be good enough?
    Thanks thats really helpful, i was just worried about GCSEs because I know oxbridge needs at least 6A* etc, and imperials almost up there with them. I just hope I can get the A-Level results. Yeah I was thinking I perhaps should carry on all 4, but i dont have to decide for a while. Well done on your offer, I'm assuming its conditional?
    I have both offers from both Imperial and Oxford with 5A*s and 5As at GCSE.
    Anybody who says Oxbridge needs at least 6A*s is just plain wrong. I was told that by my school as well, and yet all the "perfect" students have been rejected this year, and lots of us who were not encouraged to bother applying made it in.

Of course more is better, but there is no absolute cut-off point. Give it a go!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fallen)
    I have both offers from both Imperial and Oxford with 5A*s and 5As at GCSE.
    Anybody who says Oxbridge needs at least 6A*s is just plain wrong. I was told that by my school as well, and yet all the "perfect" students have been rejected this year, and lots of us who were not encouraged to bother applying made it in.

Of course more is better, but there is no absolute cut-off point. Give it a go!
    Precisely, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    i'm applying this year for geology, got aaab at as with geog, chem and french (b in art) still doing all 4 this year, got an interview from imperial and an offer for AAA any combo (yay!) i've also been rejected from durham without interview, i think it goes to show imperial put big emphasis on interview even if your ps isn't really strong. to be honest, this might sound crazy but your strongest subject combo could lie in you dropping geology, apparently most doing it at uni haven't prev done it. but i guess it would be weird to drop it so maybe geography...i was aiming for imperial too and didn't have much confidence about it...just go for it!

ReputationRep:
    To study: lots of focused hard work, relevant work experience, eloquent personal statement and excellent grades.

For other purposes: use a door.

ReputationRep:
    I went there on a summer school in 2006, spent the whole time messing around and nearly got sent home for bad behaviour. (In my defence, I had other stuff going on at the time...) I nearly didn't apply this year because I figured they'd have it on record. But I applied anyway, and bam, offer. Moral of the story: go back in time to when you were 13, be a **** to them for 2 weeks, and they'll love you for it. :cool:

Seriously, just do your very best on your a-levels; if you have solid AS grades, it really helps an application. Consider taking an extended project on an area relating to geography/geophysics in Y12 or Y13 too, as that tends to go down well with every top-flight university.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon drop Geography if you want to drop a subject. I'm currently doing Geology and Geophys at imperial, and I wish I had Geology A Level. Having Physics and Maths at A level is advantageous because the Imperial Earth Science courses are pretty maths intensive (doing the same stuff as my other housemates doing other engineering subjects). You will learn all the necessary geography stuff in the first year modules anyway (Same with Geology, but it helps to have it at A level imo)

ReputationRep:
    Do you find it hard keeping 4 going? Or do you think its worth it? Yeah however much i dont want to i think dropping geography/geology is my best option - but i think if i drop geology it may probe the question of "why did you drop it if you want to do it at degree level? are you an indicisive person etc..." But well done on your offer, i think it just sounds like a really good place to go especially for earth sciences. I'm suprised you didnt get an interveiw for duhram though without an interveiw though, you've got really good grades so i'd assume that they'd atleast interveiw you. Where else have you applied?
    yeah doing four can be pretty tough going but i think it depends on your combo and if you have any you find particularly easy or difficult, especially as mine includes french which is relatively easy...yours sounds like it could be tricky to do all four though! yeah i totally get you on the geology thing, only thing is with geography it keeps your whole subject base a bit wider rather than narrowing down to just geology..haha 'are you an indecisive person' reminds me of the apprentice! (the interview wasn't that scary thankfully) i know it's weird on the Durham thing...but i wasn't too sad because i got my imperial offer the same morning i've applied to birmingham, got an interview for 19th jan...went to visit and it seems really nice there, the department is in a sweet part of the building but it doesn't seem like they get as much funding or have as many connections with industry as imperial...also applied to bristol and royal holloway, only acknowledgements from them so far...who else are you thinking of applying to yourself? if you ever want to know about anything at any point just pm me!

ReputationRep:
    I got AAAB for my AS (the B has now been changed to an A after a practical retake) and I know someone who got AAAA, but scraped each A and received an offer from Imperial, so make sure you don't rely on retakes and get the grades first time around.

With GCSEs, i don't think many unis prioritise them over A2 predictions or AS grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViralRiver)
    Hi, I applied for Aeronautical Engineering at Imperial this year so I may be of some help. Aero Eng. is *apparently* the most oversubscribed or most competitive course there is (something like that) and my GCSEs are a lot worse than yours (and I have an offer) so they shouldn't worry too much about that.

Prior to my application I asked about how much they value GCSEs and they said they'd only be worried if you didn't have any As at all. If you have an A* (or at least an A) in the core subjects for your desired course (I guess Geography, Physics, Maths - sorry don't know anything about geology/geophysics) then you have a fighting chance.

How my application went: Everyone who had the potential to meet the minimum offer (i.e a predicted grade of maybe 1 grade lower than their minimum offer received an interview). The interview was stated as formal, but when I entered the tutor's room, he basically told me it's informal, don't worry etc.. A few days after my interview I received my offer (and I knew my interview didn't actually go that well). Goes to show it's not as hard as it sounds to get the offer (but that's just the first step).

About what you should drop.. it's a really hard choice there to be honest. I don't think Geology itself isn't a well known A-level course, so I don't think it will even be stated in your offer. But then again you don't want to drop what you want to pursue. Physics is obviously important for Geophysics, and Maths only helps aid that (but I'm sure it will definitely be in your offer, as will Geography). To be honest it would probably be best not to drop anything in your second year.
    Nice to meet you :P If I don't get into Cambridge (which I won't) I'll see you in Kensington on the 1st October Soooo excited for uni! Also for the OP:

Subject: Aeronautical Engineering
    GCSE: 6A* 3A 2B
    AS/A Level: Maths - A*, Physics AS - A, Chemistry AS - A
    Predicted A*A*A (Further Maths, Physics & Chemistry)

You don't have to amazing academics to get in Also just make sure you show pasison in your Personal Statement and score highly in your AS! Work Experience, Pre-Uni courses (for engineering I did Headstart) and make your personal statement 70% Academic, 30% Co-Curricular - my interviewer asked me about Young Enterprise, CCF and Rowing, which were all in my PS

Enjoy and best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks thats really helpful, i was just worried about GCSEs because I know oxbridge needs at least 6A* etc, and imperials almost up there with them. I just hope I can get the A-Level results. Yeah I was thinking I perhaps should carry on all 4, but i dont have to decide for a while. Well done on your offer, I'm assuming its conditional?
    That's hogwash. I got rejected with 11A*s, I know someone who got in with 2A*s. Just thought I should clear up that little misconception for you.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I'm not enjoying my uni, so I'm going to drop out and apply for geology at other unis. I'm considering Imperial. It's a long shot, but I fulfill the minimum requirements and would be amazing if I got in, so might as well try....

ps: OP, I have the exact same GCSEs as you (grades I mean)

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    i can tell you gcse's dont matter so much for imperial ( aero engineering anyway)
    i have A*AACCCCC
    they gave me offers two years in a row,

make sure you PS is amazing( i think thats why they liked me) and you have great predictions eg A*AA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomSouthwell)
    Nice to meet you :P If I don't get into Cambridge (which I won't) I'll see you in Kensington on the 1st October Soooo excited for uni! Also for the OP:

Subject: Aeronautical Engineering
    GCSE: 6A* 3A 2B
    AS/A Level: Maths - A*, Physics AS - A, Chemistry AS - A
    Predicted A*A*A (Further Maths, Physics & Chemistry)

You don't have to amazing academics to get in Also just make sure you show pasison in your Personal Statement and score highly in your AS! Work Experience, Pre-Uni courses (for engineering I did Headstart) and make your personal statement 70% Academic, 30% Co-Curricular - my interviewer asked me about Young Enterprise, CCF and Rowing, which were all in my PS

Enjoy and best of luck
    Second doing headstart course - good fun, show interest for engineering and gives you something to talk about

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.