Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to do speech and language therapy at uni but i was just wondering what type of things they are looking for..

I'm still in year 12 so i've got quite a bit of time til i actually start applying but i want to know if there would be anything I could do to help me when i apply..

i want to go to bcu as that is the closest to me and i dont really want to go far like manchester but that will have to be like my second choice or something... i want to do as much as possible so that i could get into bcu straight away...

i would be grateful for any advice

You have to be good with words.

LOLOLOLOLOL.

Seriously, I don't know.

ReputationRep:
      I've applied for speech therapy

at school, theres not really any specific subject needed. they like some kind of science, english or a language, but for bcu i don't think any is really a requirement

also, definitely try and get shadowing work! contact local speech therapists and ask if you can shadow them for a day. Also make sure you have work experience from a mixture of children and adults.
      With children you can get work in a nursery or school (thats what I did), or with childrens with disabilities.
      With adults its good to have experience with elderly in care, possibly who have had strokes or have dementia although, i had very little experience with adults apart from a half days shadowing, and i got an interview at bcu
      just get experience, its mainly what they're looking for tbh. hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
      There are lots of Speech therapy threads- http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...443515&page=17 this one is most active at the moment.

There is lots of advice on there about the sorts of things universitys look for.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Lovelovelove:))
      I've applied for speech therapy

at school, theres not really any specific subject needed. they like some kind of science, english or a language, but for bcu i don't think any is really a requirement

also, definitely try and get shadowing work! contact local speech therapists and ask if you can shadow them for a day. Also make sure you have work experience from a mixture of children and adults.
      With children you can get work in a nursery or school (thats what I did), or with childrens with disabilities.
      With adults its good to have experience with elderly in care, possibly who have had strokes or have dementia although, i had very little experience with adults apart from a half days shadowing, and i got an interview at bcu
      just get experience, its mainly what they're looking for tbh. hope that helps!
      thank you so much this really helped!
      yeah for bcu ive checked what they want and they said they want at least one subject which is bio, chem, psych, maths, geog and sociology i think..

and im doiing alevel maths and psych which is good so hopefully it'll be okay

i worry too much :')

and again...thank you so much!! lol

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.