Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im studying English literature with Drama.
    In my first year i got an average of 66, a 2.1. 4 marks off of a 1st how annoying.
    anyway, for most it wouldn't matter, but for me that counts for 10% of my overall degree. I cant gage whether this result is a good one, or if i should be worried etc etc. obviously i know i have to work hard this year and next.
    I just cannot really grasp what my 1st year grades mean, should i rule out the possibility of a 1st? what does 10% of my overall degree even meannnnn.
    as you can tell maths is not a strong point and all these numbers are confusing me. i just want to know in black and white what it means.
    cheers
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, a 66 isn't really four marks off a first, it's more like a solid 2.1...:erm: I know it seems a bit counter-intuitive, but most tutors* don't actually use the entire scale, so they'll only award marks on the basis of whether they think something's a borderline 2.1 / a low 2.1 / a good 2.1 / a very good 2.1, but just short of a first, and assign marks of 60, 62/3, 65/6, 68/9 respectively.
    Having said that, though, a 66 is a very decent first-year result and there's no reason why you shouldn't do even better this year.

*Obviously this only goes for humanities subjects; it's different for the sciences.

ReputationRep:
    yeh, just on the scale they gave for checking our marks 70+ is a 1st. but yeh i can see 66 is a good mark, just wanted to see what it is in respects of the 10% for my degree.
    ah. dont know why im irrationally panicking i think im just daunted about the amount of work i have to do this year and next haha
    thank you for your response

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Hmm, a 66 isn't really four marks off a first, it's more like a solid 2.1...:erm:
    When I was a sixth former an English teacher of mine lamented how he'd been 'only eleven marks off a 1st' when he got his Cambridge degree. At the time I thought he meant eleven marks short in one exam, which slipped his average down within a whisker of a 1st or something (I was hazy about how degrees worked back then), but I now suspect that it was his way of admitting to students who don't know any better that he got a 2.2...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the_alba)
    When I was a sixth former an English teacher of mine lamented how he'd been 'only eleven marks off a 1st' when he got his Cambridge degree. At the time I thought he meant eleven marks short in one exam, which slipped his average down within a whisker of a 1st or something (I was hazy about how degrees worked back then), but I now suspect that it was his way of admitting to students who don't know any better that he got a 2.2...
    Subtle...:lolwut: To be fair, though, it could just have been a running joke with him, which misfired a bit when he told it to his class.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.