Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Kindle and other E-book readers discussion. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I got an Amazon kindle e-book reader for Christmas yesterday and whilst I can see the advantages of reading an actual book, I must say I'm hooked on my e-book reader! You can buy all of Jane Austen's novels for 79p and Thomas Hardy's collection of 20 books for only 69p! I can't believe what a bargain it is!

Who else has an e-book reader? And what books have you read off them? Do you prefer it to reading an actual book? I am currently halfway through reading Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

I love the fact that you can add notes and highlight certain parts of the text!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daveywavey)
    I got an Amazon kindle e-book reader for Christmas yesterday and whilst I can see the advantages of reading an actual book, I must say I'm hooked on my e-book reader! You can buy all of Jane Austen's novels for 79p and Thomas Hardy's collection of 20 books for only 69p! I can't believe what a bargain it is!

Who else has an e-book reader? And what books have you read off them? Do you prefer it to reading an actual book? I am currently halfway through reading Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson

I love the fact that you can add notes and highlight certain parts of the text!
    I have the Kindle

Books I read are all economics related, though I did read a really good fictional book called "Guantanamo Boy" a while ago - highly recommended!

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of getting one of these. Not a kindle though, well, maybe, I'll have to look into it. My work sells the Sony e-readers so I know quite a lot about those.
    ARe they really worth it? I can't really imagine reading books off a screen, but it must be worth it in the long run if you read a lot?

ReputationRep:
    i started reading them on my iphone, and now also on my computer

i still prefer having an actual book, but read ebooks a lot more often. if i want a book i can buy it and start reading instantly. i also effectively always have my books on me so can read a chapter or two wherever i am.

originally when kindles and the like started to come out, i thought i'd never ever want one, but can now definitely see the appeal. more so i can read off a non-backlit screen when i'm at home, rather than for making all future purchases ebooks.

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe in E-books. Takes the fun out of reading.

Don't know why I'm being neg-repped. You all know I'm right!

ReputationRep:
    My brother surprised me with the kindle this Christmas =] My birthday was a few months back, but they didn't buy me anything so he decided to splash out and get me this. I'm slowly going to read most of literature classics. =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ducklighter)
    My brother surprised me with the kindle this Christmas =] My birthday was a few months back, but they didn't buy me anything so he decided to splash out and get me this. I'm slowly going to read most of literature classics. =]
    Off topic completely, but how come you applied to 4 English degrees and one medicine degree? What was your PS like :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by accesstohe)
    Off topic completely, but how come you applied to 4 English degrees and one medicine degree? What was your PS like :\
    Absolutely mind blowing. It mainly focused on the English degree rather than than Medicine.

Spoiler:
    Show
    jokes! LOLZ

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely mind blowing. It mainly focused on the English degree rather than than Medicine.

Spoiler:
    Show
    jokes! LOLZ
    LOL ok, i believe you...

ReputationRep:
    Well I have read a novel in two days.. and it usually takes me about a week to read a standard novel! I find I can concentrate loads better with this ebook reader.

I'm slowly going to read most of literature classics. =]
      Aye, Dickens and Eliot can thank the kindle for a new and unexpected revived interest in their work!

ReputationRep:
      I got an Amazon kindle for christmas also, a lot of people's objections, or at least people I know, is the idea that you're reading off a screen but it's really not like that, and if it wasn't for the button pressing you'd forget you're reading off a little electronic device!

I also find i'm reading a lot more now too, as it's a lot easier to carry round compared to a book, it can just slip into a slim pocket in my bag that books can't. Which allows me to read on the train to work.

Also I can see myself saving a lot of money when it comes to buying books (and bookmarks) :P

ReputationRep:
      I'm an avid reader but couldn't imagine buying one of these little devices. Does it not give you a headache to be reading off a screen all the time? :confused:

ReputationRep:
      I've got the kindle 3, it's awesome. I've read probably about 700 pages in total on it so far (1 novel and a couple of shorter books). My favourite feature is being able to put the caret next to a word and see the dictionary definition for it, very handy. It's comprehensive too, must be the full version of the Oxford dictionary.

It really doesn't matter that you're reading from a screen, you forget that you are. I've read in a couple of several hour sessions and didn't get any eye strain. The screen is not the same as normal computer screens at all; it only refreshes when you change the page and it isn't backlit. This means you avoid the usual strains and headaches of screen reading (I hate reading from LCDs even more now, you are basically staring at a light bulb).

When I opened the box the first time I thought that the screen had a piece of paper overlaid on it and tried to take it off! My only foible is that Amazon have been dicks recently.

ReputationRep:
      My Kindle was supposed to arrive today but it hasn't
      :stomp:

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
      Not at all, well not with the Kindle. It's about the same size as an actual book and does not have the backlit display (works on E-Ink) which does not cause any eye strain.
      Thanks for the reply, in that case I may have to check one of these little gadgets out. Would definately make sense in terms of the small fortune I spend on paper books, but had ruled them out thinking it was like just reading off a computer screen.

ReputationRep:
      Don't think I'd get one, even if I could afford it.
      • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
      Hey, is anyone here long-sighted? I get headaches and shiz when I read or use the computer sometimes (especially if I am not wearing my glasses) and I wanted to know how you guys get on with it

ReputationRep:
      I thought about getting one until I realised that I do most of my reading in the bath so I would say there not for me but there a really good idea for people more suited to them

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
      The E-Ink display makes it look like a real book. Like the words have actually been printed on. I've had quite a lot of people not familiar with E-book readers tell me this as well as they looked over my shoulder. And yeah, computer screens are LCD/backlit so it is pretty awful to have to read a book on one.

I would recommend checking out various video reviews of them on Youtube, see if you like them or not. And having a browse through available E-books and their pricing.
      Thanks for the info

I owe you rep when I get my new qota for the day!

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2012
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.