Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I bought an external hard drive as my laptop's memory isn't very good (70GB, about half is full). I was wondering whether moving the "windows" folder would be wise? It's about 15gb, but I know external hard drives can mess up and then I may well be doomed?

ReputationRep:
    Can't do it without going through the pain of reinstalling Windows. You're best off just using your external hard drive for keeping your files, videos, music, etc. on and using the laptops hard drive to keep Windows and other programmes on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHABANA)
    I bought an external hard drive as my laptop's memory isn't very good (70GB, about half is full). I was wondering whether moving the "windows" folder would be wise? It's about 15gb, but I know external hard drives can mess up and then I may well be doomed?
    No. The Windows folder is used to access your Operating System. You could move it, but it wouldn't do your laptop any good.

You could always buy a bigger internal HDD and fit it yourself. What's the model of the laptop and when did you buy it/warranty?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    No. The Windows folder is used to access your Operating System. You could move it, but it wouldn't do your laptop any good.

You could always buy a bigger internal HDD and fit it yourself. What's the model of the laptop and when did you buy it/warranty?
    Its a Fujitsu Siemens esprimo. Not really sure about the warranty, I've had it for nearly 3 years I think. Is there any way of checking where most things are saved, without having to check every single folder? Because I already moved the 2 places where I had music and that was only 4GB in total.

ReputationRep:
    Its a Fujitsu Siemens esprimo. Not really sure about the warranty, I've had it for nearly 3 years I think. Is there any way of checking where most things are saved, without having to check every single folder? Because I already moved the 2 places where I had music and that was only 4GB in total.
    If your laptop has a HDD of 70GB you won't have loads of room to play with. Big space hogs are videos/games/music.

Tried uninstalling useless applications?

You could try defragmenting, use Defraggler. Do it a few times if you haven't ever done it before. That frees up a little space.

Could also try deleting old registry entries, but this can go wrong so be warned.

The downloads folder is where lots of things end up. Otherwise I don't think there is a way to organise every file and folder by size.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zorg)
    If your laptop has a HDD of 70GB you won't have loads of room to play with. Big space hogs are videos/games/music.

You could try defragmenting, use Defraggler. Do it a few times if you haven't ever done it before. That frees up a little space.

Could also try deleting old registry entries, but this can go wrong so be warned.

The downloads folder is where lots of things end up. Otherwise I don't think there is a way to organise every file and folder by size.
    Useful app called TreeSize will do that for you

http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

Only in Linux can you move the root of the system to another hard drive/memory module. And with chroot, it's still dirty, it's still painful, and still prone to failure.

If you want more space, get a bigger hard drive and whack it into your laptop in place of the one that's currently there. But you'll have to reinstall Windows and any software you use.

TL;DR: c:\windows\ never wants to move. It would be like moving your heart into another person's body.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Zorg)

Thanks for your reply. I know, the memory is rubbish but it was bought in a rush when my computer died (literally didn't shop around or know anything about computers).

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Tootles)
      Only in Linux can you move the root of the system to another hard drive/memory module. And with chroot, it's still dirty, it's still painful, and still prone to failure.

If you want more space, get a bigger hard drive and whack it into your laptop in place of the one that's currently there. But you'll have to reinstall Windows and any software you use.

TL;DR: c:\windows\ never wants to move. It would be like moving your heart into another person's body.
      Would the hard drive have to be specifically for my laptop? Also, do you have any idea how much a shop would charge to do it all for me? Or is that not even a service offered? Seriously CBA installing everything (Vista/Office/Kaspersky) and I'm unsure about the license thing too when it is only for one computer. I think it may well be less hassle for me to get a new computer, and install everything on there from scratch as it would already come with Windows 7 or whatever and just use that.

ReputationRep:
      Pointless and unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
      Would the hard drive have to be specifically for my laptop? Also, do you have any idea how much a shop would charge to do it all for me? Or is that not even a service offered? Seriously CBA installing everything (Vista/Office/Kaspersky) and I'm unsure about the license thing too when it is only for one computer. I think it may well be less hassle for me to get a new computer, and install everything on there from scratch as it would already come with Windows 7 or whatever and just use that.
      It needn't be for just your machine. There are however different form factors of HDD. It will most likely be either a 3.5" or a 2.5" drive. Just take it down to a computer shop and ask how much it will cost for them to do it. I honestly have no idea about how much it'll cost, I've only ever done it myself. It's not too difficult; watch this. Then you just pop in your Windows disk and reinstall the OS.

Cost of a HDD <£100
      Cost of a new laptop >£400

Your choice.

You can buy an enclosure for your old HDD to go in and use it as an external drive or something.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Zorg)
      It needn't be for just your machine. There are however different form factors of HDD. It will most likely be either a 3.5&quot; or a 2.5&quot; drive. Just take it down to a computer shop and ask how much it will cost for them to do it. I honestly have no idea about how much it'll cost, I've only ever done it myself. It's not too difficult; watch this. Then you just pop in your Windows disk and reinstall the OS.

Cost of a HDD &lt;£100
      Cost of a new laptop &gt;£400

Your choice.

You can buy an enclosure for your old HDD to go in and use it as an external drive or something.
      Oh right, thanks so much for the info! Its just that this laptop isn't going to last forever anyway, and a desktop for around £300 would be more than enough for what I would be using it for. Because I have a monitor which is almost new just packed away. I never knew about using my HDD as an external drive though, thanks

It doesn't have to be for that laptop specifically, it just has to be of the right type. If you tell me the model number and make, I can tell you what sort of hard drive it needs. If you're worried about getting the software and whatnot installed, I might be able to do it for you if you can send it to me with some packaging (self-addressed, stamped, &c) included. But it's up to you, of course.

Anyway, how old is said laptop?

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2010
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
      Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.