The Student Room Group

The North-West, living there

OK, anyone from the North-West? I find it amazing how much there is up there, yes we have London, but you have countless towns the size of Cambridge or more, east egnlia is empty... plus L'pool, Manchester, thriving independent culture etc, cheaper prices, more hills et al. (More 'friendly' people?)

So, what's the verdict, have any of you moved either there to south or vice versa, and what is your advice on moving or living there, should I? I want a bit more than cliches about it's grim up north, no disrespect, unless there really is some huge validity in that.
I just sometimes get the impression it's a bit more interesting up there. (as I don't really want to live in London crime and price/space wise, on my budget)

Rep for some informative or interesting replies, ta.

Scroll to see replies

Manchester is amazing, I love it, it's like the London of the north in my opinion.
It's not really that grim up north, it is difficult to get a job, especially in Sheffield where they have cut some of our funding.It's also really cold, and there's quite a few chubsters sine there is an abundance of Greggs.

However it is veeery cheap, in Sheffield you can get into a nightclub for no more than three pound before ten o clock, and you can get vodkas and mixers for like £1.50. Also,I do find it friendlier in the north, whenever I've ventured south, the people are a lot more reserved and don't tend to be as warm, or that could just be the people I've encountered. But when someone from London came up to Sheffield they told me they were surprised when someone smiled at them in the street, claiming it ''would never happen in London.''

The accents aren't great though. :p:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
I love Manchester. :smile:

Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield and Newcastle are awesome too. :biggrin:
Yes north wetst is cool place to live.
Leeds ftw.

edit: Lol neg <3
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
I've lived in the North West and London. The North West is much better imo, because it's a lot less cold (metaphorically).
Try to avoid shoulderbarging people in the street. If you knock into someone, apologise and move on. Don't ignore people and walk off (my minimal experience of London has shown this to be the case) or eventually you'll get some dick like my brother's mate who follows people who do that and mug them as punishment.

It's nice though, that slightly ott example notwithstanding.
Reply 7
Original post by Colour Me Pretty
Manchester is amazing, I love it, it's like the London of the north in my opinion.
It's not really that grim up north, it is difficult to get a job, especially in Sheffield where they have cut some of our funding.It's also really cold, and there's quite a few chubsters sine there is an abundance of Greggs.

However it is veeery cheap, in Sheffield you can get into a nightclub for no more than three pound before ten o clock, and you can get vodkas and mixers for like £1.50. Also,I do find it friendlier in the north, whenever I've ventured south, the people are a lot more reserved and don't tend to be as warm, or that could just be the people I've encountered. But when someone from London came up to Sheffield they told me they were surprised when someone smiled at them in the street, claiming it ''would never happen in London.''

I have actually found much more friendliness in Manchester than where I live, in the real sense. It also has more soul and is fascinating. Place I really like is Sheffield too, in fact I would love to live in that bit of the peaks between Sheffield and Manchester, I went across there once and it was beautiful. I'm also quite intrigued by Cheshire and north of Liverpool ie Southport. Yeah they are not as big as London, but realistically, how big does a place need to be? If you're living in London, how much of it are you going to see or use? Most likely you'll stay in a smallish enclave feeling hemmed in, maybe going 'up west' occasionally on the tube. It appeals me to have more country, less tourists, bankers and all, less pretentious feel(maybe?) cheaper prices etc. Might be a personal thing but I just feel the north has more soul, a lot of the south just seems well-off enough but bland as anything. It also has Labour voters rather than being solidly Tory like my area, which appeals to a degree.

People say it has chippiness, that might put me off but not sure of it's veracity.
(edited 13 years ago)

The accents aren't great though. :p:

Sheffield's not in the North West :fyi:
The north-west? You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Edit: Nine people have never seen Star Wars.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
The north-west? You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

My guess is that you've never lived there.
Original post by Chillaxer
I have actually found much more friendliness in Manchester than where I live, in the real sense. It also has more soul and is fascinating. Place I really like is Sheffield too, in fact I would love to live in that bit of the peaks between Sheffield and Manchester, I went across there once and it was beautiful. I'm also quite intrigued by Cheshire and north of Liverpool ie Southport. Yeah they are not as big as London, but realistically, how big does a place need to be? If you're living in London, how much of it are you going to see or use? Most likely you'll stay in a smallish enclave feeling hemmed in, maybe going 'up west' occasionally on the tube. It appeals me to have more country, less tourists, bankers and all, less pretentious feel(maybe?) cheaper prices etc. Might be a personal thing but I just feel the north has more soul, a lot of the south just seems well-off enough but bland as anything. It also has Labour voters rather than being solidly Tory like my area, which appeals to a degree.

People say it has chippiness, that might put me off but not sure of it's veracity.

I think size is what appeals most to people about London, the idea that there is always something to do. The north is quite underrated, especially Sheffield, beause people just have this image of an industrial city but it's incredibly green, very cheap and the night life is amazing. I've never been to Liverpoo but I have a friend who has family there and she loves it.
Good universities, good music, good cities, good sport, good women; what more do you want?
Reply 13
Original post by No Man
My guess is that you've never lived there.

Probably public school, home counties, toryish. They all have that attitude.
Original post by Addzter
Sheffield's not in the North West :fyi:

I know, but it's in the north and only an hour from Manchester.
Plus most northern cities have similar characteristics.
Indeed. :pierre:

They say: ON THE SIXTH DAY, GOD CREATED MANchester. :awesome:
I know, but it's in the north and only an hour from Manchester.
Plus most northern cities have similar characteristics.

I agree, but it's still not in the North West. Newcastle's probably pretty similar to Manchester/Liverpool in many ways, but you wouldn't include that.
Reply 17
I think size is what appeals most to people about London, the idea that there is always something to do. The north is quite underrated, especially Sheffield, beause people just have this image of an industrial city but it's incredibly green, very cheap and the night life is amazing. I've never been to Liverpoo but I have a friend who has family there and she loves it.

Don't get me wrong, I do find London impressive. Just I could find enough to do wherever else, pubs, gigs etc. I can find fascination a place with a few thousand people though, so that might just be an introverts thing. I'm also not that bothered about being trendy or what people think, and maybe that is more prevalent in a world status city like London. If you need a lot of outside stimulus then I get it. But there is something about the north that draws me, not least the affordability, people and landscapes.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 18
I'd count Sheffield as the midlands although I suppose it does have the kind of working class vibe that the North West has. I live in Blackpool, a good 10 minute drive from the town centre, we don't get any of the drunks etc, that the town centre/attractions bring. I think its a nice place to live, there is little gang related crime etc, saying that though I do live in one of the more 'middle' class areas. The only thing that is missing is that there isn't much going on but with Liverpool/Manchester not too far away and there is Preston not too far as well, thats not too big of a concern.

I'd certainly consider living up here. The lack of jobs however is a little concerning :biggrin:.
Original post by Chillaxer
OK, anyone from the North-West? I find it amazing how much there is up there, yes we have London, but you have countless towns the size of Cambridge or more, east egnlia is empty... plus L'pool, Manchester, thriving independent culture etc, cheaper prices, more hills et al. (More 'friendly' people?)

So, what's the verdict, have any of you moved either there to south or vice versa, and what is your advice on moving or living there, should I? I want a bit more than cliches about it's grim up north, no disrespect, unless there really is some huge validity in that.
I just sometimes get the impression it's a bit more interesting up there. (as I don't really want to live in London crime and price/space wise, on my budget)

Rep for some informative or interesting replies, ta.

North-West is the best region in the UK

Cities:
Major:
Manchester
Liverpool

Historic:
Lancaster
Chester

Small Cities
Preston
Salford

Shopping:

Liverpool One, as well as Liverpool City Centre
Cheshire Oaks
Trafford Centre
Manchester City Centre as well as the Arndale
Lowry Mall.

Soon to be Preston tithebarn

Attractions:

Chester Zoo
Blue Planet Aquarium
Countless Museums (Imperial, Slave Trade, Museums of Museums, tatton)
Countless parks
Blackpool Zoo
Blackpool Leisure Beach
Gulliver's world
Crosby
Southport
Blackpool
Wirral
At a push, Alton Towers

Nightlife
Manchester and Liverpool beats everywhere (outside London) hands downs

Arts
too many theatres to name

Literally there is so much to do...

Manchester and Liverpool are barely half an hour away, everything is 10-20 minutes down the road from each other..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending