The Student Room Group

The North-West, living there

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chillaxer
OK, anyone from the North-West? I find it amazing how much there is up there, yes we have London, but you have countless towns the size of Cambridge or more, east egnlia is empty... plus L'pool, Manchester, thriving independent culture etc, cheaper prices, more hills et al. (More 'friendly' people?)

So, what's the verdict, have any of you moved either there to south or vice versa, and what is your advice on moving or living there, should I? I want a bit more than cliches about it's grim up north, no disrespect, unless there really is some huge validity in that.
I just sometimes get the impression it's a bit more interesting up there. (as I don't really want to live in London crime and price/space wise, on my budget)

Rep for some informative or interesting replies, ta.

i lived in the north west until recently, manchester is amazing but my hometown wasn't, its good as long you avoid blackburn, its full of nasty horrible people who strangely are muslims. that why i moved to cardiff.
Reply 101
Original post by The_Male_Melons
This. Agreed.

What has Yorkshire got? This is a genuine question. Their largest city is Leeds, a dump of a village in a middle of a roundabout. Lancashire has Bolton. Manchester and Liverpool are in a different league, in fact, are world cities (minor).

I am with you to some extent, but come on, it's got the Dales, Pennines, York (Don't know Leeds) and Sheffield is a good city, safer than Manchester with tons to do.
Reply 102
Original post by Manitude
I'm from chester so I ought to be well informed on the city.

Culturally it's a blend of flogging tourists for everything they have, and trying to copy liverpool.
The city is mostly a very nice and upmarket kind of place, with a few notable exceptions (much like everywhere tbh)

Eductaion in chester is generally pretty good, there's a few large state secondary schools and a few exclusive private schools. There's a nice rivalry between some of the schools too :smile:
The university isn't brilliant on the whole though, but the nightlife is probably pretty good - the pub/bar density in the city center is pretty high. And some of them are very cheap (£1.50 a pint on weekdays, anyone?)
Chester isn't that posh. There are posh and rich people, but the majority of cestrians are just normal people.

Excellent. I suppose I just reckon there might be more laughs, (and people who are more independent from the rat race) to be had up there, but maybe that's romantic.
Original post by Chillaxer
I am with you to some extent, but come on, it's got the Dales, Pennines, York (Don't know Leeds) and Sheffield is a good city, safer than Manchester with tons to do.

I'll give you that. The Dales, Pennines and I like York. Shieffield is alright, I suppose...
Lancashire is far superior to Yorkshire...
Sheiffield being safer than Manchester- Dundee is safer than Sheffield and Manchester...
Reply 104
Original post by The_Male_Melons
I'll give you that. The Dales, Pennines and I like York. Shieffield is alright, I suppose...
Lancashire is far superior to Yorkshire...
Sheiffield being safer than Manchester- Dundee is safer than Sheffield and Manchester...

Dundee isn't safe, it's got tons of knife crime. But anyhow, yeah I think Lancashire is greater.
Reply 105
I live in Blackburn.

It's full of chavs, don't come here!
I've lived in the North West for half my life but i still return to Manchester at every opportunity. Only reason i came back ''darn sarf'' is to sit my A levels and get into uni, but the North West is the place to be. I get so many wannabe Londoners with their horrible Essex accents disagreeing with me, but the North is the place to be.

It's a shame i had to come back to Colchester to study as the two places just don't compare. The second my last exam is over i'm getting the first train back to Manchester. I'm still very upset that Manchester uni isn't any good for History otherwise i'd be firming it in a split second. Fantastic city in a fantastic area.

North > South!
Reply 107
Original post by sr90
I've lived in the North West for half my life but i still return to Manchester at every opportunity. Only reason i came back ''darn sarf'' is to sit my A levels and get into uni, but the North West is the place to be. I get so many wannabe Londoners with their horrible Essex accents disagreeing with me, but the North is the place to be.

It's a shame i had to come back to Colchester to study as the two places just don't compare. The second my last exam is over i'm getting the first train back to Manchester. I'm still very upset that Manchester uni isn't any good for History otherwise i'd be firming it in a split second. Fantastic city in a fantastic area.

North > South!

Ah, the rare Southerner with some sense.
Original post by Laertes
Ah, the rare Southerner with some sense.

Technically i'm not a Southerner. :frown:

Although i'm still gutted i lost my lovely Northern accent.
im from chorley. which is very grim
Reply 110
Cumbria is the best of the west! Lake District + some alright(ish) cities and towns...plus near enough to Liverpool and Manchester that it doesn't matter!
I've lived in the north west my whole life and wouldn't change it for the world. :love:

I'm half Scouse and part Mancunian with a bit of Yorkshire in me, and I live in Cumbria. The north west is gorgeous and cities won't ever come better than Manchester and Liverpool for making me feel proud of being northern. I was in Manc today, actually, sales shopping - dreadful drizzly weather but I just love the place so so much.

The north east has absolutely nothing on us. :proud:
Original post by rainbow drops
I've lived in the north west my whole life and wouldn't change it for the world. :love:

I'm half Scouse and part Mancunian with a bit of Yorkshire in me, and I live in Cumbria. The north west is gorgeous and cities won't ever come better than Manchester and Liverpool for making me feel proud of being northern. I was in Manc today, actually, sales shopping - dreadful drizzly weather but I just love the place so so much.

The north east has absolutely nothing on us. :proud:

I was planning to go to Manchester for the sales.

I ended up having a haircut- which turned out to be a disaster :frown: :frown:
Reply 113
Never go to Leeds if your an Asian, racist white boys and girls will abuse you. Just stay within the Asian community, much safer. Had some very bad experiences in Leeds, most racist place I've ever been to.
Reply 114
I love living in Liverpool, born and bred Scouser :smile:
Original post by lfcjamie
I love living in Liverpool, born and bred Scouser :smile:

this. :smile:
Reply 116
Anyone else?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending