Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Masters Fees Going up for Privately Funded Students? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Does anyone know about whether post-grad fees will go up for studying in the academic year 2011/2012? If so, is likely to be a blanket increase, or will each university change fees according to their discretion?

Thanks,
    M

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m.grump)
    Hi,

Does anyone know about whether post-grad fees will go up for studying in the academic year 2011/2012? If so, is likely to be a blanket increase, or will each university change fees according to their discretion?

Thanks,
    M
    Postgraduate fees are not linked to undergraduate fees. However, there is likely to be a blanket increase, but that has got to do with the rise in inflation not the recent funding issues. Most universities should have already released their tuition fees amounts for next year; the programme I am doing at the moment has gone up by £250 by the looks of it, for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    Postgraduate fees are not linked to undergraduate fees. However, there is likely to be a blanket increase, but that has got to do with the rise in inflation not the recent funding issues. Most universities should have already released their tuition fees amounts for next year; the programme I am doing at the moment has gone up by £250 by the looks of it, for example.
    Thanks for this. After a bit of research, it appears that any course fee inflations will take place on the year 2012/2013 also.. so if any of us did a masters degree in 2011/2012, it would be in the calm before the storm.

ReputationRep:
    Universities can set their own postgrad fees, so the change in undergrad fees does not directly affect postgrad costs. Universities already charge what they want.

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, how much are postgraduate fees at the moment? I'm planning on doing one once I finish my undergrad degree, although as that won't be until 2014, it's not for a long time yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Jules)
    Universities can set their own postgrad fees, so the change in undergrad fees does not directly affect postgrad costs. Universities already charge what they want.
    +1 Thanks for this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d123)
    Out of interest, how much are postgraduate fees at the moment? I'm planning on doing one once I finish my undergrad degree, although as that won't be until 2014, it's not for a long time yet!
    Depends on the university. Edinburgh charge(d) £5100 for their taught masters in the arts and humanities, while other universities might charge just over £3000 so they are similar to undergraduate tuition fees, for example. Expect most to charge between £3500-£4000 though. Most universities also have a graduate discount which means if you stayed at Glasgow for your masters you might get 10-20% knocked off the price too.

ReputationRep:
    finance courses at the top universities range from 20-28k GBP...... if they raise them anymore I'll go crazyyyyyy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.