Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey guys im new to this forum, i've been looking at stuff on here for about a year and thought it was time to join!

but anyway im just after abit of advice really
    i managed to land a christmas temp job at next and got really excited as its the first time i'd be working properly the woman was nice and said id definetley be working at least 5 days.

well a couple of weeks ago i got a letter saying i only have one 4 hour shift and thats it! as you can imagine i was quite annoyed and i rang the woman said "oh because your a temp we've put you in an empty slot as we value permanant staff more" which im ok with as i can understand whats she saying!

so what im asking is should i go and do my shift or just not go?
    if i decide to not go what are the possible consequences that could come along with it?

thanks zak

ReputationRep:
    i'm working there for the sale too and i'd say do it. if you haven't got other plans, it's a few hours pay, plus if jobs are available at any next store in the future, you'll be looked upon more favourably having worked there before, even if it's just one shift.

i've only got 2 shifts, but i've got an interview for a new store opening next month and figured it would work in my favour.

ReputationRep:
    You may well get more than 4 hours.

If you're only a temp, they might not dish out lots of contracted hours as it might be something to do with pro-rata holiday pay in the future.

Just go they might call you in another time if they like you =) And at the end of the day, you're still getting paid - even though 4 hours isn't much.

ReputationRep:
      Your contracted hours are only the minimum amount of hours they have to give you each week. You may well get more if they need a couple of hours here and there, so go in and prove that you're useful.

ReputationRep:
      the woman who was speaking to us at induction said theres no chance of getting offered permanant work after this because there already over-staffed

the 4 hours is all im getting im afraid i got a sheet that has dates until the 5th january and im only in for the 28th 6am-10am all the other dates are blank, i doubt i'll get anymore dates because she said theres something like 100 "friends and family helping out" (temps) so whatever we get given is more than likely to be it!

im not in dire need of the money seeing as its christmas so i dont have to bus to college everyday it was just for extra money!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by zigzak789)
      the woman who was speaking to us at induction said theres no chance of getting offered permanant work after this because there already over-staffed

the 4 hours is all im getting im afraid i got a sheet that has dates until the 5th january and im only in for the 28th 6am-10am all the other dates are blank, i doubt i'll get anymore dates because she said theres something like 100 "friends and family helping out" (temps) so whatever we get given is more than likely to be it!

im not in dire need of the money seeing as its christmas so i dont have to bus to college everyday it was just for extra money!
      Well that's about £30 or so every week, that's a few drinks, a new top. Might as well do it. :dontknow: It'll help when applying to anyother retail job in the future too.

ReputationRep:
      not half as bad as subway

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by aliluvschoc)
      Well that's about £30 or so every week, that's a few drinks, a new top. Might as well do it. :dontknow: It'll help when applying to anyother retail job in the future too.
      its about £20.16 altogether and thats it im 17 so get £5.04 an hour but still 4 hours with no chance of getting permanant work or extra hours is slightly annoying and pointless, i know its experience and abit of money but it just doesnt seem worth it right now!

ReputationRep:
      Not like you've got anything to lose is it? You get paid and given the opportunity for more work in the future. Also, you can then tell a future employer you've worked for Next

ReputationRep:

You've worked it out yourself. The reason you haven't had more hours is because they didn't need you/had lots of staff to take hours. You were told you'd get 5 days, but that wasn't official - I got told I'd have 8 hours over 2 weeks and ended up with more. It's just the way it works out. You've said yourself you don't need the money, you just want it, so even though understandably you expected more, refusing to do your only shift would be a tad childish. Just be grateful you've got any work at all

ReputationRep:
      I would definitely do it.

That's how I started off, and soon they were begging me to do lots and lots of hours!

ReputationRep:
      hey guys im new to this forum, i've been looking at stuff on here for about a year and thought it was time to join!

but anyway im just after abit of advice really
      i managed to land a christmas temp job at next and got really excited as its the first time i'd be working properly the woman was nice and said id definetley be working at least 5 days.

well a couple of weeks ago i got a letter saying i only have one 4 hour shift and thats it! as you can imagine i was quite annoyed and i rang the woman said "oh because your a temp we've put you in an empty slot as we value permanant staff more" which im ok with as i can understand whats she saying!

so what im asking is should i go and do my shift or just not go?
      if i decide to not go what are the possible consequences that could come along with it?

thanks zak
      Hi zigzak789, I was a summer temp in Next and 4 hours is basically the minimum amount of hours you would certainly get a week. For example i was saturday 9-1, however i was always approached to do more hours/stay longer and i actually used to do about 20 hours a week!...But if it is actually just 4 hours still do it as its is EXPERIENCE and something to put on your CV!...My friend worked on the next sale (6-8 hrs) and with that experience managed to get 3 job offers! (New look, M&s, h&m!)

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.