Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should airport security (as we know it) be scrapped? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been reading about airport security in the UK and USA recently, and found that it effectively doesn't work.

All the screenings that we have now have never stopped a terrorist and in some cases terrorists have completely evaded them.

- 2001. Richard Reid, the shoe bomber- got though all security, only failed because the bomb didnt work

- 2005. underwear bomber - got through security, only failed because the bomb didnt go off and other passengers stopped him

- 2006. liquid bomb plot. Only failed because Police arrested them before they could carry it out. Nobody at the airport security would have thought to check for liquids at that point.

The USA uses basically the same security measures as us and this happened:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11863165..._investigates/

Seeing as these measures cause huge stress and inconvenience, cost a lot, and its basically just luck that we haven't had another 9/11 style attack, should we get rid of them and replace it with something different.

The system the Israelis use (profiling passengers- looking for the terrorist rather than looking for the weapon or the bomb.) is much more effective, and doesnt cause the hassle that our system does.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I do agree with you there. It does seem to take forever at teh airport: x-ray scanners, being frisked if you 'go off' etc. Wouldn't it be simpler to have profilers: would be simpler, possibly cheaper as well.

If we continue like this, the Olympics will be a disaster! Analysts are already saying that the Tube won't be able to cope - nor will the airports.

ReputationRep:
    I think the reason they don't profile in the UK is because it could be deemed 'racist'. While not trying to be racist, the majority of searches would be carried out upon asians.

I'm in favour of profiling because it works, but in this 'nanny state' where everything is PC the country would go nuts.

ReputationRep:
    You don't often catch me saying this, but I think the Israeli model is the way forward:

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/edi...ould_teach_us/
    The safest airline in the world, it is widely agreed, is El Al, Israel's national carrier. The safest airport is Ben Gurion International, in Tel Aviv. No El Al plane has been attacked by terrorists in more than three decades, and no flight leaving Ben Gurion has ever been hijacked.

The Israelis check for bombs and weapons too, but always with the understanding that things don't hijack planes, terrorists do -- and that the best way to detect terrorists is to focus on intercepting not bad things, but bad people. To a much greater degree than in the United States, security at El Al and Ben Gurion depends on intelligence and intuition -- what Rafi Ron, the former director of security at Ben Gurion, calls the human factor.

Israeli airport security, much of it invisible to the untrained eye, begins before passengers even enter the terminal. Officials constantly monitor behavior, alert to clues that may hint at danger: bulky clothing, say, or a nervous manner. Profilers -- that's what they're called -- make a point of interviewing travelers, sometimes at length. They probe, as one profiling supervisor told CBS, for ``anything out of the ordinary, anything that does not fit." Their questions can seem odd or intrusive, especially if your only previous experience with an airport interrogation was being asked whether you packed your bags yourself.

Unlike in US airports, where passengers go through security after checking in for their flights and submitting their luggage, security at Ben Gurion comes first. Only when the profiler is satisfied that a passenger poses no risk is he or she allowed to proceed to the check-in counter. By that point, there is no need to make him remove his shoes, or to confiscate his bottle of water
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Gur...rport#Security
    * All cars, taxis, buses and trucks go through a preliminary security checkpoint before entering the airport compound. Armed guards spot-check the vehicles by looking into cars, taxis and boarding buses, exchanging a few words with the driver and passengers.

* Armed security personnel stationed at the terminal entrances keep a close watch on those who enter the buildings. If someone arouses their suspicion or looks nervous, they may strike up a conversation to further assess the person's intent. Plainclothes armed personnel patrol the area outside the building, and hidden surveillance cameras operate at all times.

* Inside the building, both uniformed and plainclothes security officers are on constant patrol.

* Departing passengers are personally questioned by security agents even before arriving at the check-in desk. This interview can last as little as five minutes, or as long as an hour if a passenger is selected for additional screening. Luggage and body searches may be conducted. After the search, bags are placed through an X-ray machine before passengers proceed to the check-in counters. All that said, El Al and Ben Gurion airport has for a long time realised that the person is more important than their bags. Therefore, occasionally, if security have assessed a person as a low risk, they will pass them straight through to the check-in desks, bypassing the main x-ray machines. Note that hand baggage is always x-rayed later on.

* After check-in, checked baggage is put in a pressure chamber to trigger any possible explosive devices. Passengers continue through to personal security and passport control, as in other airports. Before passing through the metal detectors and placing hand baggage through the X-ray machine, passports are re-checked and additional questions may be asked. Before boarding the aircraft, passports and boarding passes are checked once again.

* Security procedures for incoming flights are not as stringent, but passengers may be questioned by passport control depending on country of origin, or countries visited prior to arrival in Israel. Passengers who have recently visited countries at war with Israel (all Arab countries except Bahrain, Egypt, Jordan, Mauritania and Qatar) may be subject to further questioning

ReputationRep:
    Most definitely not, the majority of people only know what the media tells them, they don't know what goes on behind the scenes. We have some of the most sophisticated kit.

Given the threat level as set currently by the government, I think we've done well to not have more attacks if anything. What we've had so far is a pinch of salt compared to how it could be.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    You don't often catch me saying this, but I think the Israeli model is the way forward:

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/edi...ould_teach_us/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Gur...rport#Security
    I was just going to post this. :five:

:israel:

Man, I hate airport security, I gotta fly soon and will probably get groped a load again or have my junk on display to god knows who. :dry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elandar)
    I've been reading about airport security in the UK and USA recently, and found that it effectively doesn't work.

All the screenings that we have now have never stopped a terrorist and in some cases terrorists have completely evaded them.

- 2001. Richard Reid, the shoe bomber- got though all security, only failed because the bomb didnt work

- 2005. underwear bomber - got through security, only failed because the bomb didnt go off and other passengers stopped him

- 2006. liquid bomb plot. Only failed because Police arrested them before they could carry it out. Nobody at the airport security would have thought to check for liquids at that point.

The USA uses basically the same security measures as us and this happened:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11863165..._investigates/

Seeing as these measures cause huge stress and inconvenience, cost a lot, and its basically just luck that we haven't had another 9/11 style attack, should we get rid of them and replace it with something different.

The system the Israelis use (profiling passengers- looking for the terrorist rather than looking for the weapon or the bomb.) is much more effective, and doesnt cause the hassle that our system does.
    you've got to take into account they were stopped those times but what if they tried again? If we didnt implement new methods to counter them after each attempt then they can use that method again and again rather than just once. Imagine we had not addapted to check water bottles then they sent attacks using that method several times a year. One would be bound to get through.

Terrorists dont hide who they are. They hide their intent!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.