The Student Room Group

What are lectures like?

Scroll to see replies

Sometimes boring, Occasionally very boring
Some are exciting, depends on the module and topic. I always nearly fall asleep in most of them. Mostly due to not getting enough sleep the previous night.
Reply 22
like being in a dull cinema where you take notes :h:
Reply 23
Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo
:lolwut:

For us, usually about 30 people are meant to come, in which case the average number there is 15.

Oh wow, how do you ever get away with having a cheeky snooze in a lecture that size?!

There's about 400 who are supposed to come to ours, and it really depends on the topic as to what percentage of that turns up. Generally there's about 250 students, but if it's a major lecturer then you can have all 400 turn up in which case an overflow room is needed. If there's been a big night out before, or it's a particularly fluffy topic or something to do with sociology, there can be far fewer.

Lots of people take notes, I don't because I can't write fast enough. I tend to view lectures as more of a preview of what I've got to learn later on. Our lectures are mainly 9-5 every day, so by the end of it most people are head-on-desk asleep.
Reply 24
Depends on the tutor I think. Ive had really bad lectures but then Ive had really good ones too. I had lectures lasting 4 hours this term, they were terrible.

There are people who fall asleep in my lectures too, which I find really rude. We're doing a postgraduate course and most of us are mature students or re-training for a new career, so I find it pretty alarming that people cant even stay awake for a couple of hours. Theres one girl on my course who is notorious for it, every lecture you can guarantee shes asleep, I suspect she doesnt care because its an NHS funded course and she's not paying for it. Why the lecturers havent said something is beyond me.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by tbm
Depends on the tutor I think. Ive had really bad lectures but then Ive had really good ones too. I had lectures lasting 4 hours this term, they were terrible.

There are people who fall asleep in my lectures too, which I find really rude. We're doing a postgraduate course and most of us are mature students or re-training for a new career, so I find it pretty alarming that people cant even stay awake for a couple of hours. Theres one girl on my course who is notorious for it, every lecture you can guarantee shes asleep, I suspect she doesnt care because its an NHS funded course and she's not paying for it. Why the lecturers havent said something is beyond me.

Whilst I understand people sleeping in lectures once in a while, I don't understand people who do it persistently, or talk loudly through the entire thing.

You're /paying/ for this lecture, pay attention! You don't have to go!
Reply 26
Original post by chidona
Yeah, depends on the number of module choices and number of core modules for your subject. In first year more or less all my modules were about 150, in third year they average out to around 50 each.

Then again, my friend who has English has about 20 people per lecture, so eh.

Oh my god! There are FOUR HUNDRED law students in each year at King's. Crazy! The only time there are less than that is EU law where it's about 50 lol.
Reply 27
here's my first-year lecture experience!

i've no idea what i was expecting (like you), but i absolutely love them. i have around 200 students in my lectures currently, and i love the whole raised theatre setup - it feels so different from the typical school classroom and really sets you up for feeling more in the adult mindset with your studies.

the general etiquette is pretty much that of a respectable a-level class - we listen to the lecturer, take notes (in my lectures, powerpoints are projected at the front, which are very easy to take notes from) and are generally pretty quiet. my lecturers are all fairly informal in their way of teaching - one (my favourite) comes wandering up the aisles, taking to individuals and getting us all more involved in the lecture - another is very sarcastic and always gets us laughing. they insist we call them by their first names - they hate being called "professor", so you can tell how informal my department is! it does vary between departments, though; i know that some have much stricter lecturers. mine are plain hilarious!

i have a bunch of friends that i sit with each time along the back row like naughty kiddies, and during the few super boring lectures (most are interesting, but one module is so awful and droning that we just take notes from the online "portal" afterwards) we do have a bit of a quiet giggle and doodle each other ridiculous pictures - but most of the time we know we've got to pay attention. we all want to do well, after all!

i hope that helps. c:
Reply 28
Original post by greeneyedgirl

Original post by greeneyedgirl
200-350 people in my lectures (or more when we are video linked), 50 minute lectures, uncomfortable seats.

Some lectures = really good, meaning I take lots of notes, know that it'll be useful for the exam!

Some lectures = properly crap, meaning my head will start bobbing and I will eventually fall asleep/start texting people instead.

Oh and some lectures = SO BAD THERE IS NO POINT YOU TURNING UP! STAY IN BED INSTEAD!

so true
Reply 29
Lecture; 1. turn up in pijamas + 2. drinking games ensue = good times
Reply 30
It depends, some lectures are awesome but others can be so boring. Usually, lectures are either 1 or 2 hours long and you can be asked questions [usually working in pairs].
Reply 31
A room, a number of students usually sitting on tiered seating arrangement, in front of which a lecturer/teacher person will be assissted by an overhead projector or a powerpoint projection facility and will take you through the basic points relevant to that lecture. These points are supposed to form the basis of your knowledge so you have a generalised idea of the main issues. It isn't designed to teach you all you need to know but to be only one compotent of your learning. The majority of your learning is expected to be conducted privately/independently, not to mention tutorial work etc.

Quick Reply

Latest