Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is 40 References too much for a 3000 word essay? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I feel like i've made a big boo boo.

I've been working on an essay for the past couple of weeks and have read around 13-15 journal articles and have somehow used 40 references within these 15 journals (ie. as alternative theories etc).

Anyway, the essay is 3000 words long and i'm just wondering whether I should drop a few refereneces or do you think 40 is allowed? I was thinking around 20 would be the maximum amount?

Anyone have any ideas? It's due in in two weeks and I have three others to do (plus dissertation work) so i'm kinda panicking.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    What subject? Some subjects like more than others.

Also, how much is it supposed to be your own opinion, and how much other people's opinions? Because if the majority of the essay is other people's opinions, that's not normally a good sign

ReputationRep:
    40 is probably a few too many tbh. I'd try and cut it down a bit, or you won't show that you've actually put any of your own original thought into it.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it depends - you need to have your own discussion and argument. As long as you have that, you're fine. I doubt the number of references can be too many, unless it prevents you from writing your own things.

ReputationRep:
    Nah...Nah....do some more!

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your subject/tutors etc.

That said my general rule of thumb is one reference per 100 words

ReputationRep:
    Nope. I have scored first/near first marks on 2,000 world essays, and I used about 40 references there. It is better to be generous with referencing. 20 references for a 3,000 word essay would be pretty low in my book.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how you're using them too. You could be discussing a fairly controversial method/theory/line of thinking, and could therefore require more than one reference to back you up. If you're multi-referencing the same point, it'd look better than if you had 40 single-references in my opinion, as this would require being very brief for only 3000 words.

But essentially, 40 is not too many, it just really depends how you've structured your essay/used your references.

ReputationRep:
    I've got about 10 refs for a 2000 word essay.... 40 does seem a bit much but i guess it depends on your course and tutor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    Great sig, the full version is one of my favourite quotes.
    Good point! Never knew why I didn't have the full thing on here!

*changes sig*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.