Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I would like to apply to some MSc programmes next year and I´ve been searching different websites of Oxford, UCL, Imperial, Cambridge and King´s College.

What I find a little strange is that while Oxford, Imperial and UCL offer MSc 1-year taught programmes with thesis, Cambridge does not, and instead they offer MPhil programmes.

Do you know If those MPhil Cambridge programmes would be equivalent to MSc from Oxford, or at least similar? (My field is Biology, and I am going to specialize in Immunology).

ReputationRep:
    An MPhil is generally a 2-year taught degree with perhaps more research training and a longer research project/dissertation than a one year MA/Mst etc. This is often carried on into PhD research.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you Daniel!

And I would also like to ask everyone here:

Is there any degree from University of Cambridge comparable to MSc in Integrated Immunology from Oxford, because Immunology is the field I love the most and where I would like to be in the future. I found some MPhil in Medical Sciences or MPhil in Pathology from Cambridge, but can I have any contact with Immunology during those courses or what? Any help will be very much appreciated.

(Original post by danielj315)
    An MPhil is generally a 2-year taught degree with perhaps more research training and a longer research project/dissertation than a one year MA/Mst etc.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very often a name is just a name. Oxford and Cambridge have different degree naming conventions that many/most other universities and conventions that differ between them as well. Yes, broadly speaking a Cambridge MPhil = an Oxford MSc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.