Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Well we had our big family annual boxing day dinner today. My parents, grandparents, brother, sister bro in law and various other family members were around. Every single year I get teased mercilessly at this dinner, by pretty much everyone. I hate it and it really upsets me and this year I just couldn't stop the tears. Usually I keep it together and just feel sad, but I don't know, this year it all got too much. I felt really embarassed but my mum and my sister were lovely and said they had no idea it bothered me so much or they would never do it, my brother even gave me a hug which is pretty much unheard of to be honest. But the best bit of it all, which makes me well up even now, was what my sister said to me.
    She gave me a big hug and said "You know we all love you, and I don't want you to ever forget how proud of you we are. You've had the year from hell this year, we all know it. You picked yourself up, you dusted yourself down and you are amazing, you really are. If it had happened to me I don't think I could cope, I would be curled up in a hole somewhere still crying but you are so so strong and don't you let yourself forget that. We're more proud of you than you can know"
    It probably doesn't sound like much and I guess I'll get some lame replies for it, but my family doesn't do things like that. We tease and taunt each other and poke fun at each other. We say well done for achievements and we mean it, but we don't go on about it. Me and my sister have always had a bit of sibling rivalry too and it was just fantastic to hear her say that, really made my day. Pointless really but just wanted to share it. I really have had a tough year and to know that people think I'm coping well means a lot cos sometimes I feel I'm a centimetre from breaking down completely. I'm welling up again now but it's in a good way. I had a crap day yesterday too so I'm feeling awesome now

ReputationRep:
    awww

ReputationRep:
    yay merry christmas anon

ReputationRep:
    That makes me feel warm.

ReputationRep:
    Aww, lovely to hear!

ReputationRep:
    Seems like crying was probably the best thing you could've done. Hopefully your family will have a bit more respect for you now. Nice, happy christmas.

ReputationRep:
    My kiddie cousins are around and they are making such a racket!

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh merry Christmas =) And well done for being so strong this year *hugs* Thanks for sharing, its put a smile on my face as well. Next year is your year.

ReputationRep:
    tl;dr

jk, happy holidays!

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad it's always nice to hear lovely comments from loved ones! I hope next year goes better for you

ReputationRep:
    I'll have to try crying next Christmas.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.