Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really want to learn french as a qualification, everytime i have the opportunity i don't take it up, so i've decided to teach myself AS french, i have studied GCSE french but never did the exam so i have grasped the basic knowledge.
    What i want to know is is it advisable to do it as an external candidate and what exam board is best? also if anyone could give me some references to really good French study books?
    thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    anyone?...

ReputationRep:
    I don't have much experience in the matter, but I feel sorry for you that no-one else posted, so I'll answer.

I think it would be difficult, but certainly doable.
    Regarding the exam board, it depends which ones you'd be able to take as an external candidate. I do French with WJEC, and people say that it's a good board for MFLs, but it might be difficult finding somewhere to take the exam. You'll most likely need to do an oral exam before the final written ones too, which adds an extra complication.

It would be advisable to get the textbook for whichever exam board you choose. With WJEC we use 'Élan 1: French AS'. It isn't too bad. I also have 'Intermediate French for Dummies' which sounds like it'd be absolute rubbish but it's actually my favourite French-learning book I've used so far. I think it's an ideal level for AS French as well.

Good luck with it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    With the right materials and lots of hard work you can definately do it.

I see from your spoiler that you're going to university next year. You may want to research the Modern Language Departments at the universities you have applied for. You could do 15/30 credits of Beginners/Intermediate French as part of your degree (it would go very nicely with English) and you could even in some cases get it to be part of your degree title if you obtain enough credits over the 3 years. Just a thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Modestmouse)
    With the right materials and lots of hard work you can definately do it.

I see from your spoiler that you're going to university next year. You may want to research the Modern Language Departments at the universities you have applied for. You could do 15/30 credits of Beginners/Intermediate French as part of your degree (it would go very nicely with English) and you could even in some cases get it to be part of your degree title if you obtain enough credits over the 3 years. Just a thought.
    This.

You'll get much better at French when you're in a class with other people to speak to.

However if you want to develop some understanding of French I recommend Les Cles Junior to keep up to date with some current affairs type stuff, and Bescherelle for grammar related things.

ReputationRep:
    If you can manage a few trips to France, then do it.
    If not, it will be hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jen_App)
    I really want to learn french as a qualification, everytime i have the opportunity i don't take it up, so i've decided to teach myself AS french, i have studied GCSE french but never did the exam so i have grasped the basic knowledge.
    What i want to know is is it advisable to do it as an external candidate and what exam board is best? also if anyone could give me some references to really good French study books?
    thank you so much!
    I did it,I don t advise doing it with NEC though,they won t prepare u for the oral.
    I did it with Edexcel,without the textbook,but then my mum s a french teacher.
    Try to look for a tutor around where u live.
    Any more qs,pm me.

ReputationRep:
    You can do it. You can find a good french tutor and ask them to help you along as and when they are required. Use books and tapes etc... to teach yourself and do it that way. You can arrange oral exams and written exams quite easy using a Private College called Campbell Harris who should be able to help you out with this. They are expensive but easy and no hassle.

Find a French Tutor here: www.myngle.com

Arrange exams: Google campbell harris
    Edexcel is a better board to go with imo. Can't say much for A level MFL but they seem the best one so far

I am self teaching myself AS Mathematics. I have only started now really. I wish you good luck. Remember it is possible to do this so don't feel discouraged. Persevere and you will achieve

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jen_App)
    thank you so much!
    I am doing it as well.
    But am fluent (speaking but I dont know much grammar) and im doing it as a private candidate with AQA

ReputationRep:
    If you have some good basics, try to read French books, newspapers and websites.
    You may not understand everything but that will help you a lot to learn quickly — if you don't understand a word, you may usually find out you can guess what it means with the context, or use a dictionary (WordReference is the best for that, as there are a lot of explanations and all the meanings of a single word); that will improve your vocabulary. A language is learned by imitating first: by understanding how the sentences are written, you will be able to reproduce it by yourself.

You'll have to learn grammar & spelling with that of course, but you will learn a lot more and much faster if you do that than just staying with fictional exercises and boring workbooks.
    For the oral part, if you can try to speak in conversational groups at school, with French people if you know some, listen to French radio or watch movies in French with English subtitles, then French subtitles, then no subtitles. Also if you can, travel to France, but well it's not always possible…

I'm French and I did that to learn English; my spelling, grammar and way to turn phrases are not perfect of course, but my English level is far better than what is expected at school, and I'm more autonomous in a real-life context.

If I can suggest you some things, read newspaper websites like Le Monde, Libération, Le Figaro, Rue89; read simple books (Albert Camus, etc.) but contemporary (vocabulary will be harder if you read older books), or, to begin simpler, try to find books in French that you've already read in English (Harry Potter, L'attrape-cœurs by JD Salinger (that's the Catcher in the Rye), Des souris et des Hommes by J. Steinbeck (Of Mice and Men), etc.).

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I cannot begin to thank you guys enough with the advice that's been given. It's iven me a clear head on where to start and what to do about this! It's so hard considering that i studied french but my mind has gone blank with most grammar and feminine/masculine terms etc...
    Time to dust the old textbook out of my bookshelf!
    Thanks Again!

ReputationRep:
    No worries, let us know how you get on and dont hesitate to PM me if you need any help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.