Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

why one face has two images? Watch

• View Poll Results: do you think western media reports are biased?
    yes
    75.00%
    no
    0%
    a bit of mix
    16.67%
    dont know
    8.33%

ReputationRep:
    why western media portrays things biased which goes against their perspective? i m concerned with it because west does claim about freedom of speech then why? for example during the london student protests bbc were showing statements by police and describing students as violent and even though they presented students opinion but in a way that weakens their position as being the right ones
    what will you say about it?

ReputationRep:
    There's no such thing as freedom of speech in the sense you describe. It's a fallacy that we live in a democracy.

ReputationRep:
    Of course they're biased. Particularly with international affairs the news channels can portray it in any way they please and we'd never know the difference.

ReputationRep:
    Say again, OP?

Yeah, I'm kinda confused by what the OP is saying. (Are you using a translator?)

If media shows things from both the police's and students' perspectives, that's hardly biased, is it?

ReputationRep:
      Of course it's biased. They edit the news to only deliver what they think will cause the most controversy because it's more interesting than the truth. That's just the pure corruption of the media.

(Original post by aeterno)
        Of course it's biased. They edit the news to only deliver what they think will cause the most controversy because it's more interesting than the truth. That's just the pure corruption of the media.
        So if you had the choice, what truths would you be announcing to the world?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Saichu)
        So if you had the choice, what truths would you be announcing to the world?
        This isn't about exposing any old truth. It's about telling both sides to a story - not just the interesting, controversial side. That's what I'm getting at.

(Original post by aeterno)
          This isn't about exposing any old truth. It's about telling both sides to a story - not just the interesting, controversial side. That's what I'm getting at.
          But you had earlier contrasted this controversial side to "the truth", implying that they are not the same thing, whereas now you seem to have amended your claim to state that the media only portray part of "the truth".

This latter claim is not nearly as grotesque as your earlier one (naturally, we prefer to tell stories that are interesting), and it is also, in some instances, false. As the OP himself has stated, the journalists had covered the protests from both the students' and the police's side.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Lail Aas)
          why western media portrays things biased which goes against their perspective? i m concerned with it because west does claim about freedom of speech then why? for example during the london student protests bbc were showing statements by police and describing students as violent and even though they presented students opinion but in a way that weakens their position as being the right ones
          There is no such thing has non-biased information. Information will always be biased by the one who reports it, intentionally or not.

And tell me how non-western information is unbiased?

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Lail Aas)
          Because the students were violent - it's not an opinion it's a statement of reality.
          The Police gave their side of things and the students had a chance to give theirs, most of the students however didn't actually know what the changes were and that showed, they weakened their own position.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
        Useful resources
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.