Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was letting my dad sync his ipad on my laptop, and it turns off and doesn't/won't turn back on.

I called my uncle who fixes laptops and stuff and he made me disconnect it from the mains and take the battery out, and followed all his instructions, still didn't work.

So if anyone can suggest anything to fix it, I would be very grateful, thankss..

ReputationRep:
    Anyone? Could it be the battery? I leave it plugged into the charger all the time so it doesn't last more than about 10 minutes off the charger..

ReputationRep:
    Take your laptop to someone who fixes laptop or computers.

ReputationRep:
    I must say I agree with Tempa. It's the most logical way forward.

ReputationRep:
    I am today, I was just wondering if anyone knew anything I could try before..

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it still within the Apple guarantee? Their after sales support is usually good, and if it is within the guarantee they'll fix it for free/give you a refurbished model. Check online to see what your options are if I were you - you'll need the serial etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wookie42)
    Isn't it still within the Apple guarantee? Their after sales support is usually good, and if it is within the guarantee they'll fix it for free/give you a refurbished model. Check online to see what your options are if I were you - you'll need the serial etc etc.
    I don't have an apple laptop, its an advent one..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HEJ92)
    I don't have an apple laptop, its an advent one..
    Genuinely thought we were talking about the iPad here. Anyway, do you have a warranty of some kind with the laptop? Otherwise do you have a tech friend who could have a look at it for you? If neither of those two options are available you're going to have to bite the bullet and take it into a shop to have a look at it. Try and find somewhere small to reduce costs, but it will probably cost you something like £20 for them to have a 30 minute look at it and tell you what's wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Genuinely thought we were talking about the iPad here. Anyway, do you have a warranty of some kind with the laptop? Otherwise do you have a tech friend who could have a look at it for you? If neither of those two options are available you're going to have to bite the bullet and take it into a shop to have a look at it. Try and find somewhere small to reduce costs, but it will probably cost you something like £20 for them to have a 30 minute look at it and tell you what's wrong.
    Thanks, my uncle is a tech person, he's coming over to look at it today, so hopefully he'll be able to turn it on. It's just really strange because it was working perfectly.. no viruses, works relatively fast.. then it just turns off :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HEJ92)
    Thanks, my uncle is a tech person, he's coming over to look at it today, so hopefully he'll be able to turn it on. It's just really strange because it was working perfectly.. no viruses, works relatively fast.. then it just turns off :confused:
    It could be a very simple hardware issue but it is impossible to tell over the internet I'm afraid. Sometimes components just 'go' and that's that - what makes it difficult with a laptop is that all the parts are squished together which makes diagnosing the problem harder, and solving it often more expensive.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't sound like software, so I'd bet that the motherboard's toast, I'm afraid. Probably power management or chipset.

ReputationRep:
    It could be a very simple hardware issue but it is impossible to tell over the internet I'm afraid. Sometimes components just 'go' and that's that - what makes it difficult with a laptop is that all the parts are squished together which makes diagnosing the problem harder, and solving it often more expensive.
    Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    Genuinely thought we were talking about the iPad here.
    Ever tried taking the battery out of an Apple product? :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HEJ92)
    Thanks for your help
    Sorry I couldn't really do much, hope you get it sorted sharpish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VisualKiddy)
    Ever tried taking the battery out of an Apple product? :L
    I know, I was like... how? Then again my iPad knowledge is crap so in my mind it seemed feasible

ReputationRep:
    My uncle has looked at it and it's the processor that is gone, so am selling my laptop for parts and buying a new one

ReputationRep:
    I know, I was like... how? Then again my iPad knowledge is crap so in my mind it seemed feasible
    I have heard myths of people able to perform such a feat; but I never actually considered that they might be real.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.