Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Women do you often end up more attracted to less attractive men than you expect? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just as a male observer, I have a theory. You sometimes notice how men who are not initially or superficially considered attractive by women, often end up doing much better with them than men who look quyite good. Not 'cos they are nicer people, but they have gotten more skilled at projecting what is perceived as distant, manly, not too nice etc. also they can come across as having a darker side or being more controlling or harder bitten than their good looking counterparts, they have more of an element of treat the women like crap to succeed, and often it seems to work.

So, any validity to this theory?

ReputationRep:
    In an ideal world for many of the male TSR population - perhaps.

But in reality, you'll have to earn money before you can get some.

ReputationRep:
    Some less attractive guys do well with women because they're funny and charismatic.

However, I don't think that's the norm.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm not interested at all in the type of guys you just described.

ReputationRep:
    My theory is, some girls don't give guys a chance, and are quick to brush them aside. This has certainly happened with me before. From observation i have seen many guys turn into great partners with their girls, totally different people! . Sometimes i would like girls to make more of an effort rather than having all the work come from a guy. As many girls are quick to judge.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, the guy I'm now in a relationship with I wasn't instantly attracted to, but after getting to know him I can't take my hands off him.
    It's all about personality/how you carry yourself EDIT: yes there is an element of control, which I like, but not at all treat women like crap!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemons)
    Some less attractive guys do well with women because they're funny and charismatic.
    I agree, personality is the key, as well as the way you hold/express yourself etc. I think there's a difference between being attractive and being handsome. Smiling for example can make a big difference.

ReputationRep:
    The whole "dark side" of your theory to less-than-attractive-guys seems a bit far-fetched, but speaking from experience, I have become more attracted to a guy I wasn't initially really attracted to, after getting to know him quite a bit.

For example, I dated a guy who had remarkably thick eyebrows, which traditionally aren't too attractive to girls. But after having spent more than a year with him, I found every little physical "flaw" on him to be quite endearing.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but not because they're 'manly' ***** like you describe, because they're nice & we get on well.

ReputationRep:
    I'm ugly. I'm awesome. Suck my ****, I'm a shark.

ReputationRep:
    Actually yes, it's more about their personality I think (although when a guy smells nice, that is ALWAYS a plus and an attraction )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yawn11)
    But in reality, you'll have to earn money before you can get some.
    So true, you have to earn at least 70k before any woman will even consider sleeping with you. Any man that claims to of had sex yet earns under the designated amount is lying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue monday)
    The whole "dark side" of your theory to less-than-attractive-guys seems a bit far-fetched, but speaking from experience, I have become more attracted to a guy I wasn't initially really attracted to, after getting to know him quite a bit.

For example, I dated a guy who had remarkably thick eyebrows, which traditionally aren't too attractive to girls. But after having spent more than a year with him, I found every little physical "flaw" on him to be quite endearing.
    Think I exaggerated that a bit. It's just that a lot of better looking men have gotten complacent somehow and pull less women than you'd think. Because they don't appeal to women by being in control enough, or seeming distant and not too keen. It's almost like some less attractive guys have developed a savvy that came through not expecting anything by looks.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I have become more attracted to someone after initially thinking they were just average. Being attractive isn't just about your appearence but we all know that, right?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, this happens to me all the time. That whole thing about personality completely changing how you see a person completely applies to me. I've liked quite a few guys, I know people wouldn't think are attractive, only because they have such huge personalities...the type I like.

I don't think it's because less attractive guys grow to become more distant or anything though. (Even though the type I like do all happen to be the arrogant/manly type..) On the contrary, less than average guys I know fall into the 'nice guy' category.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sort of going with a less attractive guy at the minute, I got to know him and he's one of the nicest fellas I've ever met and he's great craic. I really like him now! Oh and he's studying architecture and is at the top of his class

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I've ever gone for someone purely based on looks, apart from when I've been extraordinarily drunk, which don't really count as they're not relationships.

The people I find myself actually attracted to (in a sober state of mind) are people I always have really good, funny conversations with. People that are just nice, kind, funny. I always find myself liking hilarious guys.
    Not saying that I'd go for a funny munter, though, or a ridiculously ugly person I can have conversations with. I don't know how my mind makes these decisions haha.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 26, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.