Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Alcohol and Paracetomol Watch

I have a throat infection/flu-like symptoms, and have had 1400mg of paracetomol today via calpol (not over the limit), and also two non-drowsy sudafed containing pseudo-ehpedrine.

I had my last calpol dose around two hours ago, but an hour ago drunk around 6 units of port.

May seem silly, but I did not consider the fact that medication and alcohol are not to be mixed. Will I be okay? It's not like I've drunk a LOT, but I am worried now.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It wont kill you if that's what you're asking.

ReputationRep:
    Isnt calpol for kids??

You should be fine though.

ReputationRep:
    If you overdose on paracetemol alcohol will make it worse, but I don't think it's going to make a difference to you because you haven't had too much.

ReputationRep:
    I had most of a bottle of JD and about 10 paracetemol one after the other one new years cas I had a headache... I survived.

Thank you for your replies.

I shall be more careful in future, but I am glad to know that I shan't be popping my clogs this evening.

+ Calpol *is* for children primarily, but I like how it tastes, so why not?

ReputationRep:
    I would be more concerned of the fact that you're of drinking age and still taking calpol.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    I would be more concerned of the fact that you're of drinking age and still taking calpol.
    It tastes nice brah!

ReputationRep:
    even if it doesn't harm you, i've heard that mixing alcohol and meds (even just stuff like paracetamol and aspirin) can leave you wasted
    is that true?

ReputationRep:
    Probably won't die but you shouldn't make a habit of it.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It's probably best not to have both in large quantities, but in small quantities you *should* be alright.
    I've heard other painkillers like ibuprofen are safer around alcohol, but personally I try not to drink within a few hours of taking painkillers of any sort.

When I'm ill though, a tot of whisky is just what you need sometimes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you for your replies.

I shall be more careful in future, but I am glad to know that I shan't be popping my clogs this evening.

+ Calpol *is* for children primarily, but I like how it tastes, so why not?
    If you need to take painkillers when you've been drinking, aspirin is a much safer and usually a more effective bet--paracetamol is processed in your liver, and it's primarily useful as a fever reducer. Aspirin is a better painkiller. (If you need to reduce inflammation, ibuprofen is your best option for storebought drugs.)

(Original post by PointeShoes-x)
      If you overdose on paracetemol alcohol will make it worse, but I don't think it's going to make a difference to you because you haven't had too much.
      actually thats a common mistake if you take an overdose of paracetamol whilst drunk on alcohol it actually is protective.

Its if you take an overdose and have a history of long term over use of alcohol that the problems occur

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Jamie)
      actually thats a common mistake if you take an overdose of paracetamol whilst drunk on alcohol it actually is protective.

Its if you take an overdose and have a history of long term over use of alcohol that the problems occur
      Oh OK that's interesting, I never knew that.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by mituozo)
      I had most of a bottle of JD and about 10 paracetemol one after the other one new years cas I had a headache... I survived.
      Probably coming from a guy whos currently in hospital I imagine

(Original post by jjarvis)
        If you need to take painkillers when you've been drinking, aspirin is a much safer and usually a more effective bet--paracetamol is processed in your liver, and it's primarily useful as a fever reducer. Aspirin is a better painkiller. (If you need to reduce inflammation, ibuprofen is your best option for storebought drugs.)
        Aspirin isn't safer.

Aspirin/ibuprofen plus alcohol = vomiting blood from stomach ulcers.

ReputationRep:
        I used to pretend to be ill when I was little just to get some Calpol :coma:.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Jamie)

are you serious?

(Original post by MrGuillotine)
          are you serious?
          absolutely.
          Take alcohol with a paracetamol overdose and it reduces the effect of the overdose.
          Take it with a normal dose of paracetamol and it has no harmful effect.

Take excess alcohol for a few months and then take a paracetamol overdose and it is harmful.
          But the same effect is had if the person taking the overdose is chronically unwell, takes certain medication or is starved/anorexic.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Jamie)
          absolutely.
          Take alcohol with a paracetamol overdose and it reduces the effect of the overdose.
          Take it with a normal dose of paracetamol and it has no harmful effect.

Take excess alcohol for a few months and then take a paracetamol overdose and it is harmful.
          But the same effect is had if the person taking the overdose is chronically unwell, takes certain medication or is starved/anorexic.
          I find that hard to believe and going to need to see some proof.

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 1, 2011
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.