Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if any fellow TSR people have this 'condition'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

I have sound to colour synesthesia, which means that when I hear music I see colours and shapes in my head, according to the pitch and timbre of the sound. It's very psychedelic!

I've never spoke to anyone else with this condition, but I've done quite a bit of research into it. It's very interesting Does anyone else have any forms of it?

ReputationRep:
    Wish I did...

ReputationRep:
    I've researched this before, I can't get my head around the concept, whereas I imagine someone who has it couldn't imagine not having it, if you catch my drift.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was normal until a few years ago and a friend was researching for psychology and found it on wikipedia. She read it out and I just said 'That's me. I see colour in sound.'

I always have, I have drawings I did when I was younger that I made whilst listening to the colours and shapes of music. To be told that it was in any way strange made me raise an eyebrow! It's cool though and it doesn't affect me in any negative way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolawonder)

I have sound to colour synesthesia, which means that when I hear music I see colours and shapes in my head, according to the pitch and timbre of the sound. It's very psychedelic!

I've never spoke to anyone else with this condition, but I've done quite a bit of research into it. It's very interesting Does anyone else have any forms of it?
    That's very strange to imagine, do you actually see the colours and shapes as if they're hallucinations or just hear a certain sound and think, "that's a cube. Burnt umber."

ReputationRep:
    No, but I've noticed that a few intelligent people like to pretend that they do.

ReputationRep:

Jealous muchly.

Question though, are you officially diagnosed with it? I'm just interested from a medical point of view how they would measure such a condition and what areas of the brain its associated with.

I sometimes get tastes coming forward when I day dream, but I don't think I have synesthesia.

ReputationRep:
    must be so cool, if suffers don't have any negative effects i would love this!

ReputationRep:
    !:zomg:!
    wait, so do different genres in music do different shapes/colours? what type of sounds have what kind of shapes?

it's so intriguing... :beard:

......is there a way to induce synesthesia? :teehee:

EDIT:lol permanently :rolleyes: I suppose there is LSD just in case, but i don't know about taking the risk..

ReputationRep:

You're so cool. ; ))))

I always see things, mostly just shapes and colours, whilst listening to music. Lots of people do. It's not ****ing special.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    That's very strange to imagine, do you actually see the colours and shapes as if they're hallucinations or just hear a certain sound and think, "that's a cube. Burnt umber."
    The first time that I listen to songs the colours are very vivid. Most of the time they are in my head and I can see whats going on around me, but very rarely (like the first time I listened to 'Good Vibrations') the colours actually blind my vision somewhat.

I think the shapes come about as a result of the instruments texture. For instance, a saxaphone with no vibrato comes across to me like a smooth line.

One theory concerning synesthesia is the fact that the blues is called the blues. People see blue in the music. Why is someone 'green with envy'? Synesthesia on the whole is about sensory perceptions being crossed over. I remember watching a program on it a year or so ago where a man who owned a pub couldn't bear certain words being mentioned as they caused him to taste different things. Madness, but very cool in some respects.

ReputationRep:
    yeah there was a thread about this before where i realised i wasn't the only person to have this i have it more predominantly with numbers, e.g. every number has its own colour, and numbers that are more than a few digits long sort of end up like a series of blurred together colours.. hard to explain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    You're so cool. ; ))))

I always see things, mostly just shapes and colours, whilst listening to music. Lots of people do. It's not ****ing special.
    1 in 400 do. I was just looking for people to share their experiences of it, don't get so wound up. Put on some music...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie F)
    Jealous muchly.

Question though, are you officially diagnosed with it? I'm just interested from a medical point of view how they would measure such a condition and what areas of the brain its associated with.

I sometimes get tastes coming forward when I day dream, but I don't think I have synesthesia.
    A lot of it is a mystery at the moment. Lots of research is being carried out. I told my doctor in passing once and she hadn't even heard of it!

ReputationRep:
    I'd heard of it - never spoken to anyone that has it though.

So do you like music a lot more strongly than your 'normal' friends?

do you detest some sorts of music more powerfully than normal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    I'd heard of it - never spoken to anyone that has it though.

So do you like music a lot more strongly than your 'normal' friends?

do you detest some sorts of music more powerfully than normal?
    I don't think it affects my music taste all that much, although I do obsess over certain songs because of their strong colours. I don't like a lot of grime music because the backing tracks are usually pale- pale blue and green usually. I just find it bland. It doesn't really affect my music tastes all that much though...

ReputationRep:
    A lot of it is a mystery at the moment. Lots of research is being carried out. I told my doctor in passing once and she hadn't even heard of it!
    Well, I thought the explanation was just wires getting crossed in your head, essentially. Like I have the photic sneeze reflex and every time I look at a light to make myself sneeze people are like ":O wtf are you doing??" And that's because your optic nerve and your "wow my nose is tickly right now" nerve are close together and experience interference.

Obviously these are whole brain regions we're talking about but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon I have it, I have different colours come up ing head for the different notes on a scale e.g. B major is gold (my favourite)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    Well, I thought the explanation was just wires getting crossed in your head, essentially. Like I have the photic sneeze reflex and every time I look at a light to make myself sneeze people are like ":O wtf are you doing??" And that's because your optic nerve and your "wow my nose is tickly right now" nerve are close together and experience interference.

Obviously these are whole brain regions we're talking about but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same thing.
    Not everyone sneezes when they look at a light? :eek:
    That means I have an oddity!
    Excellent!

ReputationRep:
    I have both Asperger's and mild synaesthesia, and I suspect that the two are related. When I hear music, I get the feeling of being touched, and see patterns at the same time. I also think in geometric patterns, not in words (think Kandinksy's 1920s period) and have to translate from how I think whenever I want to say anything.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.