Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to teach myself to write left handed? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I'm naturally right handed and want to teach myself how to write left handed for some unknown reason. It was just an idea that came into my head and I want to try it.

So has anyone ever done this, or had any experience with this and could give me tips and ideas on how to do this?

Any help is appreciated

Same way you learned to write with your right hand. Pick up a pen and just try copying things with your left hand and eventually you will get faster and it will be easy.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by davidmarsh01)
      Ok, so I'm naturally right handed and want to teach myself how to write left handed for some unknown reason. It was just an idea that came into my head and I want to try it.

So has anyone ever done this, or had any experience with this and could give me tips and ideas on how to do this?

Any help is appreciated
      Its called something-Dexterity. 1 in 100 people do it naturally. I've attempted it before for a month, its REALLY hard. But i learnt that the smaller you write, the neater your writing. And also when i was learning, i used to practise on only ONE sentence until i got better at each word.

EDIT // Just remembered, its called AMBIDEXTERTOUS

ReputationRep:
      I was forced to after I shattered my right arm.

So, bandage the crap out of your right to make it unusable, then be forced to do schoolwork.

ReputationRep:
      Ambi-dextrous.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
      just practise loads.
      I'm left handed and when I get bored I start writing with right hand cos I am just that cool.
      And, now it's not actually that bad even when I write with my right hand (well still primary school but not like nursery level).

ReputationRep:
      Why would anyone do this exactly :curious:

Any help is appreciated
        Tried to do it and failed.

Tbf, you're better off actually learning something. I'd be more impressed with that.

But go for it! It's all about practice.

ReputationRep:
        Practise makes perfect

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Diaz89)
        Why would anyone do this exactly :curious:
        It gives you better hand control, its a huge advantage in sports like boxing. 'Apprantly' it helps your brain more too

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by im so academic)
        Tried to do it and failed.

Tbf, you're better off actually learning something. I'd be more impressed with that.

But go for it! It's all about practice.
        I know I'd be better learning something But I just want to try this.
        • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
        I might now actually try this

ReputationRep:
        I'm actually quite fortunate to be able to write with both hands. My advice: practice.

ReputationRep:
        Get good at drawing smooth curves and decent straight lines with your left hand. Since the hardest part of writing with your left is keeping it steady these will train your hand to be more sable. From there trace block letters and just practice loads.

I know I'd be better learning something But I just want to try this.
          Then go for it then!

ReputationRep:
          LOTS of practice! And check out how a natural left hander holds their pen/positions their arm. Oh and try copying out the alphabet loads....

ReputationRep:
          Just practice really. I'm left handed and have had to learn how to use plenty of things right handed (can openers :rolleyes:) I can sort of write with my right hand... But like how a 6 year old would write

ReputationRep:
          One word: practice

ReputationRep:
          I used to learn to write left-handed everytime I had to do homework when I was younger

ReputationRep:
          It's easy to get the hang of. Pick a book you enjoy and then copy it out word for word using using only your left hand, with time you'll get faster and neater at doing it and eventually it'll just feel natural.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
        Useful resources
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.