Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Horror Films That Aren't Too Scary! - Please Help! watch

ReputationRep:
    So I'm having some friends over for new years eve and we want to watch a couple of "scary" films that aren't really scary - anyone got any ideas?
    So far the only one I have come up with is Jennifer's Body. I know it kind of defeats the object of a horror film if it's not scary but none of us really like blood and gore haha!

Thank you x

ReputationRep:
    Paranormal activity. Seriously, I've been more scared watching Dr Who

ReputationRep:
    Well that's stupid :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Gremlins or Critters :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Haha The descent, part 1 and 2. Fits the description perfectly

ReputationRep:
    Friday 13th movies - terrible.

ReputationRep:
    Ju-on: The Grudge (2003)

ReputationRep:
    You don't like gore - but suspense is OK?

Ghostbusters be too much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    You don't like gore - but suspense is OK?

Ghostbusters be too much?

haha yes we don't mind the suspense as long as there's not too much blood and guts... if i'm anything to go by i couldn't watch sorority row so i guess we want more of a thriller than a horror film x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooster523)
    Paranormal activity. Seriously, I've been more scared watching Dr Who
    I'd recommend Nightmare on Elm Street or the Others.

Paranormal Activity itself isn't a scary movie, it's being alone in your room afterwards jumping at every shadow. I kept the boy who made me watch it on the phone until 4am.

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends on what you find scary, if you don't like blood and guts then get a thriller like The Blair Witch Project or the Paranormal Activity films?

Or something really jumpy like I Am Legend?

Older movies aren't really as scary because the tech wasn't very advanced so it's really as good as you can get with a mask and strateigic camera work... Maybe Nosferatu? Even if they have gore, you can tell it's only ketchup

Or you could go for something that's supposed to be scary, but so bad that's it's not really, like Van Helsing? Or Jeepers Creepers, or Ghostbusters, or Halloween or Gremlins 1 + 2?

ReputationRep:
    paranormal activity? thats not really scary at al...ninja assassin? :P

ReputationRep:
    It's funny how things change wit the progress of movie tech - Terminator was 18 when it came out and I think it's a 15 now for the exact same film with no cuts... just cos people aren't scared of hand animated model robots made out pipecleaners and tinfoil anymore.

What was that film about the guy communicating with his dead wife using a crackly telly - that wasn't too scary. Starred Michael somebody I think.

ReputationRep:
    Drag Me to Hell - Creepy but not scary

ReputationRep:
    Pinocchio. Well, it's sort of the reverse. Like it's not meant to be a horror film, but...

ReputationRep:
    The Skeleton Key? Or what others have suggested

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    It's funny how things change wit the progress of movie tech - Terminator was 18 when it came out and I think it's a 15 now for the exact same film with no cuts... just cos people aren't scared of hand animated model robots made out pipecleaners and tinfoil anymore.

What was that film about the guy communicating with his dead wife using a crackly telly - that wasn't too scary. Starred Michael somebody I think.
    Yeah, Terminator was changed to a 15 when the DVD came out. I still have a VHS copy that was releasaed in 1998 which is an 18. And last month I picked up Platoon DVD which has also been brought down to a 15. Another couple of years and Scarface will probably be a 12 :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    The Others, The Sixth Sense, Halloween (the original), Shelter, Stir of Echoes, Zodiac, From Hell, Panic Room etc etc

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend the Others! it's rate sad though hah.
    Er, White Noise is another one. Blair Witch Project isn't really blood and gorey but it's pretty freaky.

ReputationRep:
    Orphan
    The Good Son
    Joshua

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.