Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to travel as soon as i get my degree. The excuse to do that is a gap year!
    My idea of gap year also involves a little job to raise money to survive abroad!
    I've restricted my choices to 3 countries:
    Mexico, China or Australia!
    So where would you go? Why?

I'm thinking more and more about China! Life there seems pretty cheap and the culture very interesting but the language barrier would be immense. That would probably be the main trouble to communicate and find any kind of job! However an intensive chinese course and a full immersion could help a lot!
    I don't know a lot about Mexico but Spanish could be pretty easy to learn for me and the food there is so YUMMM :eating::eating::excited:

What do you reckon? Anyone has been either in China, Mexico or Australia? Otherwise how did u spend your gap-year?
    thanks in advance for your reply!

ReputationRep:
    Gap yah in Peru.

Edit: Possibly Burma.

ReputationRep:
    Mexico is underestimated I think, it has such a virbrant culture and it's beautiful, like with Dia de los Muertos and everything, they see everything in such a different way that it really makes you question things. In terms of money, it's probabily fairly cheap, and similar to China. Australia really depends on where you go, in the cities you may as well be in Britian, and in the town you may as well be on holiday. But it depends what you want out of your gap year- it's likely that you'll have the best chances of making some money there. I've never been to China so I can't comment Wherever you go though it will be amazing from the sound of it

I want to go to France I want to live in France when I'm older so I really want to get good at the language And the food and the wine And the attitude And sailing in summer and skiing in winter

ReputationRep:
    Mexico would be good - I'm looking at doing it for my gap yah after uni. Australia is popular for a reason, too.

ReputationRep:
    If I did go to East Asia, I'd try one of the smaller countries like Taiwan, Phillipines or Vietnam, they are very interesting places to me and they're a bit less developed which is all the more interesting to me. As for South America, Mexico seems like a good place to go. Australia is interesting but a little too Western-like to me in the major cities (I'm just too used to such life-styles). All in all, I'd go for the smaller, less-common places, not the middle of nowhere, but places where you can meet fellow western travellers. There are a lot of meet-up sites where you can organise these things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LauriC)
    Mexico is underestimated I think, it has such a virbrant culture and it's beautiful, like with Dia de los Muertos and everything, they see everything in such a different way that it really makes you question things. In terms of money, it's probabily fairly cheap, and similar to China. Australia really depends on where you go, in the cities you may as well be in Britian, and in the town you may as well be on holiday. But it depends what you want out of your gap year- it's likely that you'll have the best chances of making some money there. I've never been to China so I can't comment Wherever you go though it will be amazing from the sound of it

I want to go to France I want to live in France when I'm older so I really want to get good at the language And the food and the wine And the attitude And sailing in summer and skiing in winter
    Mexico is gaining points!!! Australia is my last choice because it seems so common and not really attractive to me!
    Anyway you're officially addicted to France!!!! So what's your plan to move your life there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Australia is popular for a reason, too.
    Which reason?

ReputationRep:
    Perah.

ReputationRep:
    All three.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhooooo)
    Mexico is gaining points!!! Australia is my last choice because it seems so common and not really attractive to me!
    Anyway you're officially addicted to France!!!! So what's your plan to move your life there?
    Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Australia would be an incredible place to spend a year, but it's very similar to Britian, only sunnier and little more laid back

Okay I didn't mean to come across so manic, but I do love France, we've gone there a few times a year since I waqqs little and I just love it And I think the lifestyles quite a nice change. I read somewhere that people who live in France are the happiest. I'm not sure if it's exactly accurate but in terms of quality of life there seem to be a few benefits

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on what I would want to do on my Gap Year and what I wanted out of it. Like for example...if I wanted to party and meet tons of travelers and have a great social experience, I'd pick Australia. For tons of culture, food, and awesome weather I'd pick Mexico. But if I wanted to do something good for my career I'd pick China. I personally went abroad for a gap year (it's ending this week ! ) in India because I wanted to do an internship in a good economy. It helped me since i feel confident working in another country and have good international experience. Plus it was easy since everyone speaks English. So depending on those three things, you should make your choice.

ReputationRep:
    Hi i want to take a Gap Year, but i need some help (:, if somebody knows something about it or wanted to do it, tell me something ((:

ReputationRep:
    I have just back from East Africa where I spent three months travelling with two mates. Came including everything to around £2000. Was easily the best experience of my life ranging from meeting the local chairman of a school at a bar and living with him for a month and teaching at his school to Kampala to Safari to working at a farm for a night. The food was unbelievable, in fact I still eat millet now I am back in London and get goat occasionally. But equally If i had the finances to go away for a big trip again Mexico seems a great places with culture food a good mix of places and not many tourists. Filipa you are going to have to be slightly more specific about what you want to know but I can give you some information about places since most of my mates took gap years.

ReputationRep:
    All three sound fantastic places to go to.Australia is a little..everyday,I mean like everyone goes there for gap years(people I know at least) but it is still a great place nonetheless,with no language barrier Mexico sounds really rich in culture and history and spanish,I've heard in easy to pick up,never tried myself though! And the food is goooood XD China is also really interesting,for both reasons I mentioned for Mexico but the language could be a problem.

Overall,I would pick Mexico.

ReputationRep:
    Australia, yes a lot of people go there on Gap Years but its such a big place that you can do lots of amazing things. Yes there's the typical attractions such as the Great Barrier Reef, Sydney, Uluru etc but you can go out into the Outback and spend a week or so in a rural town. Its so varied out there. And I'm not biased at all :P

ReputationRep:
    Hey huys, u should check out Au Pairing in China. It's very new, but up and coming. I was there last year with the HHS Center in Beijing. Language classes included and you don't have to pay a ****load of money (none besides part of the flight actually) like you do for so many other programs!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TWF)
    If I did go to East Asia, I'd try one of the smaller countries like Taiwan, Phillipines or Vietnam, they are very interesting places to me and they're a bit less developed which is all the more interesting to me.
    Less developed? Taiwan is more developed than most of China, and Vietnam is at a similar level. Regardless China, Vietnam & the Philippines all have areas that are very rural. Life in parts of western China haven't changed in hundreds of years.

To answer the OP, the language barrier in China is huge. People speak very very very little English, they barely even know greetings for instance. You will find it easier in Shanghai or Hong Kong than elsewhere. Despite that it's a very easy country to travel around and organise things. The only difficulty would be finding a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Less developed? Taiwan is more developed than most of China, and Vietnam is at a similar level. Regardless China, Vietnam & the Philippines all have areas that are very rural. Life in parts of western China haven't changed in hundreds of years.

To answer the OP, the language barrier in China is huge. People speak very very very little English, they barely even know greetings for instance. You will find it easier in Shanghai or Hong Kong than elsewhere. Despite that it's a very easy country to travel around and organise things. The only difficulty would be finding a job.
    Taiwan is a VERY MUCH LESS DEVELOPED ISLAND, VERY DISAPPOINTED TO GO THERE, SUCH A WASTE OF MY TIME...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)

It seems that you only know how to attack china like a baby and funny thing is you have never actually traveled to the majority of Chinese cities but gave loads of **** about the entire country to mislead people. I seriously reckon you are more than just overly menopausal

ReputationRep:
    Australia is okay (I'm here currently for three months on a long holiday). My personal experience is that I'm getting quite bored after a week or so in the cities, afterall, they're just cities once you've had your picture taken at the landmarks. The job scene is pretty cut throat just because there are SO MANY backpackers all fighting for the same little part time jobs and the same goes with private accommodation (hostels will drive you mad after a while). Also, the cost of living is humongous. $16-$17 for a pack of smokes. Jeez.
    I think it's more a place to visit and travel around rather than base yourself and actually live for a long period of time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.