Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

WTF is with the desire to make everyone smell nice? Watch

I received numerous soap sets and perfumes for Christmas. Slightly concerned, I asked a couple of my friends whether this was because I have BO. Their reply?

"Oh no, you never smell dirty, you just smell plain - we thought we'd give you some things to make you smell ... nice."

Well, excuse me, I have a lot of allergies and can only use plain soap, and perfumes are completely out.

What is with the compulsion to make everyone smell nice?

ReputationRep:
    Everyone gets smellies for gifts, it's just the fail safe present for pretty much everyone. Looks to me like your friends were covering up the fact they havn't though much about your present by telling you they want you to smell 'nice'.

ReputationRep:
    i love the smell of good smell. love, like perfume, it just makes you feel better, and if someone id wear perfume you'de feel more comfortbale around them, rather than someone who needs to brush their teeth and have a look at their personal hygiene.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's such an easy present to buy someone?

I always by smellies for people if I have no idea what to get them (or chocolates!)

Don't take it so personally :p: It's good to smell yummy!

(Original post by ranbow99)
    Because it's such an easy present to buy someone?

I always by smellies for people if I have no idea what to get them (or chocolates!)

Don't take it so personally :p: It's good to smell yummy!
    At least they did remember I don't like chocolate.

And it's not 'good to smell yummy' when that comes at the price of hives.

ReputationRep:
    Well, people buy you clothes/ make-up/ other beauty products to make you look better.
    Most people would like to smell attractive too, given the choice :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I got so much smelly stuff this year, when I unwrapped the third bottle of the stuff I gave myself a little sniff check, just in case.

My mam said I didn't get so much smellies because I smell, it's because I'm getting old.

(Original post by alharrison4)
    Well, people buy you clothes/ make-up/ other beauty products to make you look better.
    Most people would like to smell attractive too, given the choice :dontknow:
    But they know I have a lot of allergies - why on earth would they think it was an appropriate gift?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but were you the guy talked about in the smelly friend thread?

(Original post by de_monies)
    Sorry, but were you the guy talked about in the smelly friend thread?
    I'm female, for a start. What guy gets perfume for Christmas?

ReputationRep:
    i actually asked for shower gels and body lotions, I love things that make my skin soft and nice smelling The small joys of life..
    Getting perfume would be a big plus, as they are more expensive. If you can't use it though, maybe ask for a reciept and return for something else?

ReputationRep:
    Stop moaning because you smell like poo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm female, for a start. What guy gets perfume for Christmas?
    A guy who wears men's perfume, perhaps?

Try dropping hints about what you want to your friends next year. I didn't know what to get my friend, he showed me a book he liked, so I bought it. He loved it. It was a success. :borat:

(Original post by CharlieBee_90)
    A guy who wears men's perfume, perhaps?

Try dropping hints about what you want to your friends next year. I didn't know what to get my friend, he showed me a book he liked, so I bought it. He loved it. It was a success. :borat:
    They know what I like - they know what music I like, what authors I'm a fan of, they even know what foods I like ... so why did they choose to give me things I can't use?

ReputationRep:
    But they know I have a lot of allergies - why on earth would they think it was an appropriate gift?
    The only answer to that I can think of is that they maybe just forget, or don't really understand/ underestimate the extent to which your allergies affect you. It is a little unusual. Perfumes, shower gels or whatever seem to be really popular gifts to buy at Christmas. It's a shame you can't use them but I highly doubt anyone was being malicious or anything like that.

ReputationRep:
    Well, you could say that the soap and perfume will last far longer than any other present, and you will use them. What's wrong with perfume as a present provided it smells nice? I wouldn't mind receiving aftershave if it smells nice. In fact, the last three of mine have been given to me(with one in the packaging) They last quite a fair while really

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean. I have eczema and using heavily perfumed products makes it worse. Yet people, including my Mother, still insist on buying me soaps and body butters etc. that I can't use! I've received perfume in the past and that's fine, but I don't use it that much because I find it overpowering, even if it's just one spray. If you don't know the person you're buying a gift for enough to think, 'oh I'll just get them smellies!' maybe you shouldn't bother.

(Original post by de_monies)
    Well, you could say that the soap and perfume will last far longer than any other present, and you will use them. What's wrong with perfume as a present provided it smells nice? I wouldn't mind receiving aftershave if it smells nice. In fact, the last three of mine have been given to me(with one in the packaging) They last quite a fair while really
    Did you read the fourth line of my post? No, I won't use them because I can't use them because they will bring me out in rashes and hives.

ReputationRep:
    They know what I like - they know what music I like, what authors I'm a fan of, they even know what foods I like ... so why did they choose to give me things I can't use?
    Well the obvious answer is although they may know you have allergies, maybe they didn't consider perfume would set them off.

The answer you seem to be desperate to get on the other hand, is that they hate you, banded together to come up with ideas for presents that you would despise and wasted a load of money on buying them for you.

ReputationRep:
    You sound like an absolute ingrate.

It's christmas, be thankful you're receiving gifts at all. I haven't received so much as a christmas card from my 'so called' friends!

:|

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.