Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

New Year's Fitness Resolutions 2011 Watch

ReputationRep:
    This isn't intended to be the same as the training goals thread, where people are setting concrete end of year weights they want to lift/hit, but rather a more general (and fun, I guess) small goals thread, for minor changes that you may be going to make in the new year.

What are you going to do differently this year? How are you maybe going to change the way you train? Are you going to eat/drink more or less of something? Are you going to try a new exercise? Are you going to join a gym for the first time?

Post here and let us know what you want to do differently next year.

ReputationRep:
    I plan to take weights a lot more seriously this year. Too many times I had breaks of a few weeks or a month and never got into a proper flow, so I never built proper muscle.

Plus I want to work on my cardio a lot more. I might try swimming for the first time in ages.

Weights 3-4 times a week, cardio 3-4 times a week. I'll see how things go.

My diet's fine. Just need to eat more if I'm exercising more.

Now I just need to pick a time when the gym is relatively quiet. I hate it when I have to wait all the time for equipment.

EDIT: why was I negged for this?

ReputationRep:
    Learn to squat properly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    1. What are you going to do differently this year?
    2. How are you maybe going to change the way you train?
    3. Are you going to eat/drink more or less of something?
    4. Are you going to try a new exercise?
    5. Are you going to join a gym for the first time?

Post here and let us know what you want to do differently next year.
    I felt like posting in this one as well.

1. Going to be building muscle instead of cutting fat
    2. Lift heavy instead of constant cardio
    3. MORE EVERYTHING
    4. Deadlifts/Squats (Tried them once before but was only pissing about, not done "proper" working sets with them yet
    5. Nope but will be a regular in the free weights room for the first time

ReputationRep:
    1: Find a better gym.

2: Take up 3 barbells at the same time and give dirty looks if anybody approaches

3: Ask out this hot GILF with this fiiine body. man I want to stuff her good n proper

4: lift more than the gym ape instructor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    EDIT: why was I negged for this?
    Yeah I hate when that happens, have some +ve.

As for me... I had just started SS before I injured myself, not really sure how though :confused: I'll be back to lifting in the new year once back at uni. I'm a skinny ******* so I'm not looking at big numbers but my immediate goals are 100/70/110, though this is massively subject to change as I'm a newbie.

Edit: To answer the thread question, my resolution is to stick to the routine and make every session if I'm a) able to walk and b) able to get out of bed

ReputationRep:
    Be able to run 1.5 miles in less than 9 minutes.
    Not much I know and can probably be achieved in two or three months, but will progress from there.
    Bench 100kg.
    Squat 150kg.
    Get a bike. And a gym, actually.

ReputationRep:
    Run a mile every morning, to try and get my time down to under 7 mins

ReputationRep:
    Do a 5K in under 18 minutes, preferably under 17:30 (current time is 18:21 best)
    Do the Reading Half Marathon in under 1 hour 30 mins.

DO one 5K a week, one interval training session a week and one 10K cycle each week.

Go swimming every now and again to aid recovery.

All in all, take a more professional, planned approach to my working out as opposed to the scattergun approach that has been symptomatic of my training thus far.

ReputationRep:
    Need to stop *****ing and whining and focus more on the weight training.

Need to give up the munchies. I've been dunking so many biscuits in my tea as of late. I need to eradicate this hobby.

Need to clean up my diet, I want this muffin top gone!

ReputationRep:
    Go on a 3 month cut until my membership at my current gym runs out and get a membership at a different gym with a better free weights section (one with barbells this time) and begin Starting Strength.

ReputationRep:
    Start using free weights instead of machines.

I always wimp out of free weights because I'm so hopelessly clumsy, I'm scared I'll destroy something or injure someone. It's difficult to balls up on the machines.

But the time has come, the walrus said, to stop being such a pussy and get your greasy mitts round some dumbbells.

ReputationRep:
    Short term: Get to 92kg for Feb 14th (a contest with the mrs), currently around 98-100 i think.

After that... Maintain the same weight-ish, whilst getting stronger. Probably go back to Starrs 5x5, which gave me my best strength games in the past.

ReputationRep:
    I have 5 or so goals I want to achieve by next year:
    - Run a 10k in under 40 mins
    - Very lean muscle
    - A six pack
    - Get down to 12 stone
    - No fat diet by end of the year.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not aiming for anything in particular, that way, I don't get disappointed.
    But I only want to actually start a good regular form of exercise, and to tone up my body.
    Then I'll be happy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u4m1r)
    Learn to squat properly
    In a similar vein: I will bother squatting (in some way, shape or form) and attempt not to injure myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caarl)
    I have 5 or so goals I want to achieve by next year:
    - Run a 10k in under 40 mins
    - Very lean muscle
    - A six pack
    - Get down to 12 stone
    - No fat diet by end of the year.
    ... a no fat diet?
    :hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    Well, from 9 months of partying and drinking I've lost 10lbs. Same again next year I think.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    Post Christmas/New Year blowout i've got a few things on my mind. In no particular order...

• Get back on the pre-Christmas diet a little more seriously. I know I can do it, so do it.
    • Break my through my 13 stone plateau.
    • Improve grip without any aids. Seriously stopping any decent deadlift numbers going and putting my off going too heavy. Sort it out!
    • Be in good enough shape for weighted chins / generally start owning bodyweight exercises.
    • Make sure my conditioning improves inline with everything else (private trainer fortnightly has done a good job keeping me honest here)
    • Squat 150kg for reps.
    • Run to work more often come Spring/Summer. It's the least Brighton seafront deserves.
    • Create a TSR fitness blog (ha!). Probably quite soon. Will help keep my focused.
    • Generally keep up the intensity I finished with in the past few months.

Am also leaving my current gym for a new one in the new year. Looking forward to 2011!

ReputationRep:
    My 2011 goals

400Lb deadlift 1RM (182kg)
    80kg BW - Currently 75kg @10%
    160kg squat 5x5 - 180kg 1RM
    100kg Bench 1RM
    90kg Barbell row 5x5

Also introducing power cleans into my routine, i've been messing round the whole day learning the technique and watching videos on youtube, hopefully put up some good numbers. It's alot of fun compared to the rest of the exercises in my routine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.