Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, could someone please explain to me with the aid of diagrams (if possible) as to how the splitting patterns in aromatic rings are produced? Like double doublets, triplet doublets, double triplets etc. I just done understand how they couple? in an aromatic system can H couple further than it can in a straight chain?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tori1607)
    Hi, could someone please explain to me with the aid of diagrams (if possible) as to how the splitting patterns in aromatic rings are produced? Like double doublets, triplet doublets, double triplets etc. I just done understand how they couple? in an aromatic system can H couple further than it can in a straight chain?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    In benzene all 6 H are equivalent and no splitting

monosubstitution
    ----------------------

ortho positions are equivalent 2H
    meta positions are equivalent 2H
    para position 1H

meta protons split ortho protons into a triplet

meta themselves are split from two directions, the ortho and the para. The ortho protons split the meta protons into a triplet and this triplet is further split by the para proton into a doublet, so you usually end up with a mess, which is actually a doublet of triplets (i.e. two lots of three peaks)

The para proton is split into a triplet by the meta protons

Actually, you often just end up with all of the splitting ovelapping, making it very hard to identify what goes where!

ReputationRep:
    In practice you see ortho-coupling which is your regular 3JHH coupling and you also see W-coupling sometimes (4JHH) which is weak and is only possible because those hydrogens are firmly held in place and so have some influence on each other's magnetic field. It's best to go on a case-by-case basis, there are great differences in chemical shifts due to substituents and overlap can be very significant. For example, in monosubstituted benzenes you often see a big blob of peaks that looks like an unresolved multiplet, grouping all the aromatic H's together.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.