Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Travel Help! Birmingham to London Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there fellow tsr's!

I need your help to get me from Birmingham to London to various locations. Now seeing as I've never been to London via train I need your help to get me where I want to go!

The following places I need to go are:

Harrow
    Earls Court
    Neasden Area

I've never travelled through the tubes and how easy is it to navigate through these areas? Also how much would it cost to do this? And i'll be needing a taxi too, and was wondering how expensive it is down London?

I apologise if I sound stupid, but I've never done this before and I know some of you here can help me!

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    where from london are you travelling from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowermaster91)
    where from london are you travelling from?
    Sorry If I didn't make it clear enough, I'm travelling from Birmingham and I need to get to London specifically at those destinations mentioned above.

I know what stations I can catch the train from in Birmingham i.e

-Birmingham Moor Street
    -Birmingham New Street

But I need to know which train to catch to get me quickest to those locations i.e London Marylebone?

And I'm not familiar with the tube etc, this will be my first time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dubstarr)
    Sorry If I didn't make it clear enough, I'm travelling from Birmingham and I need to get to London specifically at those destinations mentioned above.

I know what stations I can catch the train from in Birmingham i.e

-Birmingham Moor Street
    -Birmingham New Street

But I need to know which train to catch to get me quickest to those locations i.e London Marylebone?

And I'm not familiar with the tube etc, this will be my first time!
    its ok, it would just help to know what london station you're travelling to

are you from marylebone? if so that would be on the bakerloo line, to get to Earls Court you would need to get on the tube to Edgware Road station. Then you get off there and take the district line to Earls Court.

Dont worry about getting lost, theyre literally so many signs there directing you what tube line is which and where the underground is located. If you get stuck you can always ask one of the people there who will always be happy to help.

Neasden is on the Jubilee line so if you wanted to get there from marlebone you would take the tube to Baker Street than get off and take the JUBILEE line to Neasden. Yet again there are loads of signs there, and if you get lost and etc. theres always the underground tube people there to help you

im not so sure about harrow though

But when you buy your travel card (make sure you get this before going on the tube or else you wont be able to go through! not sure how much this costs soz since i usually take the bus ) the ticket guy can answer all your questions if you feel lost.

First non troll post of the day :rofl:

soz if it was confusing

Hi there fellow tsr's!

I need your help to get me from Birmingham to London to various locations. Now seeing as I've never been to London via train I need your help to get me where I want to go!

The following places I need to go are:

Harrow
      Earls Court
      Neasden Area

I've never travelled through the tubes and how easy is it to navigate through these areas? Also how much would it cost to do this? And i'll be needing a taxi too, and was wondering how expensive it is down London?

I apologise if I sound stupid, but I've never done this before and I know some of you here can help me!

Cheers
      My advice:

Take a train from New Street-Euston, it is faster and has better tube connections than Marylebone (although it's slightly more expensive).

Buy an Oyster card as soon as you arrive in London. It's only a £5 deposit, and will make all your tube/bus journeys way cheaper forever.

Use the tube map to work out how to get to the places you need. It's not hard.
      - Neadsen is on the Jubilee Line
      - Earls Court is on the District and Piccadilly lines.
      - Harrow is on the Piccadilly/Metropolitan lines.

Don't rely on the Circle/Hammersmith & City/District lines at weekends. Check the TFL website to see what closures there are before you leave.

Taxis are not much more expensive than the rest of the country, but you can end up spending quite a bit if you're driving through heavy traffic. If you're planning to taxi between any of the places you've mentioned, just a warning that Neasen and Harrow are a couple of miles apart, but they are both >10 miles from central London.

ReputationRep:
      If you take the train from Birmingham New Street it'll take you to London Euston and you can get the underground from there. Virgin Trains would be the fastest option but it'll be expensive.

ReputationRep:
      London Marylebone is the cheapest option but it takes around 2 hours to get there. You can get a super off peak ticket for £19 (return within a month, can't return between 3 and 6 or something like that) + £5 for the tube. Or £30 +£5 if you need to travel at peak times. With New Street to Euston you're looking at about £60.

Marylebone is also a tube station so just use this to work out how to get to the destinations you want via tube:
      http://tubejp.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
      How would I get to Liverpool Street Station?

Thanks for you help!

ReputationRep:
      I'm not very experienced at London, but I just thought I'd say that all the people at the ticket barriers on the tube I've come across have been very nice and told me exactly where I want to go, what platform, and where to get off.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Potiron)
      I'm not very experienced at London, but I just thought I'd say that all the people at the ticket barriers on the tube I've come across have been very nice and told me exactly where I want to go, what platform, and where to get off.
      Yeah thats what I would of thought. So should I just get myself to Euston or Marylebone, then into underground?

ReputationRep:
      Yeah thats what I would of thought. So should I just get myself to Euston or Marylebone, then into underground?
      That's what I'd do. I'd get a copy of the underground map, and try and make sense of it, and regardless of whether I had a clue what I was doing would still ask the tube staff to check.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.