i'm no superman and i'm no pillow - my fitness blog! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Height: 176cm
    Weight: 67.1kg
    Body Fat: 18.8%
    Visceral Fat: 4%
    BMI: 21.7
    Waist: 32"

I've just about maintained my weight over the last few months. Whilst the scales say I weigh the same, I certainly don't feel as strong as I used to.

ReputationRep:
    What are you going to be doing at the gym?

Just running on the treadmill or other stuff as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    What are you going to be doing at the gym?

Just running on the treadmill or other stuff as well?
    I never stick to a routine. Some days I'll run 5km and that will be it. Other days I'll do 10 mins on the treadmill, 10 mins on the cross-trainer, 10 mins on the bike, 10 mins on the stair climber, 10 mins on the rowing machine...etc. I don't do enough weights though! :o:

B: cinnamon tea
    L: tuna pasta salad
    D: oven roasted chicken breast with salad
    S: apple, banana, handful of almonds

I'm hitting the gym tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i'm no superman)
    Height: 176cm
    Weight: 67.1kg
    Body Fat: 18.8%
    BMI: 21.7
    Waist: 32"

I've just about maintained my weight over the last few months. Whilst the scales say I weigh the same, I certainly don't feel as strong as I used to.

Over the summer, I was running four times a week at the very least. I cut out all refined and unhealthy carbs and maintained a healthy diet. I lost **** loads of weight as a result. Now I barely manage to run once a week, which is terrible! The only thing I've maintained is drinking water. My diet is awful. I want to blame medicine. 9-5, fives days a week. 646347363 lectures a day and a 6000 word SSC to write. Who can blame me for craving a nice luxury hot chocolate with melted marshmallows on top from M&S...everyday? :coma::p:

Well the SSC is almost finished and I'm doing my best to get ahead with my lectures. My semester 3 exams are in February so here's to hoping they don't interfere with my mission to fitness. (I'm sure you all know how it gets with exams!) My new year's resolution is to make time to go to the gym at least once a week - regardless of how screwed I am with work, exams and life. I think I can do it - I will do it! I'm making a change from tomorrow onwards and this thread will hopefully capture the transition of change I plan to make.
    Personally, you'll do better on a weightlifting routine with some cardio thrown in. You're very light as it is, you'll look better with some muscle on you rather than stripping away what you do have.

How did you measure that body fat %?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Personally, you'll do better on a weightlifting routine with some cardio thrown in. You're very light as it is, you'll look better with some muscle on you rather than stripping away what you do have.

How did you measure that body fat %?
    Thanks for the advice. I'm not too confident using free weights, which partly explains why I have struggled to keep a weightlifting routine.

I measured that body fat percentage using these. Perhaps not the most accurate of ways but I feel it's good enough for measuring changes in my body composition. Anyway, I just got back from the gym and burned ~500kcals:
    - 1 mile on the treadmill at 7 mph [08:30]
    - 15 mins on the bike
    - 10 mins on the treadclimber
    - 15 mins on the stairmaster
    - a few chest presses, abdominal crunches and lateral pulldowns using the fixed weight machines

29/12/10
    Weight: 66.7kg
    Body Fat: 17.3%
    BMI: 21.5

ReputationRep:
    Gym progress:
    - 1 mile on the treadmill at 7.2 mph [08:32] (slower time despite running at a higher speed...?)
    - 20 mins on the bike
    - 5 mins on the treadclimber (max treadles)
    - some (albeit lame) squats and more chest presses, lateral pulldowns
    About 400kcals burned today.

30/12/10
    Weight: 65.6kg
    Body Fat: 17.5%
    Visceral Fat: 3%
    BMI: 21.2

ReputationRep:
    Not point point in weighing and BMI'ing etc. yourself every day. You won't see any change, and its affected by various things such as water retention, time, if youve had a meal, if you've had a dump..

You're best seeing change if you do it weekly first thing when you wake up. E.g. every monday morning on an empty stomach.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.