The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I don't think any of them really are... but I still don't like hearing about Warwick all the time on these forums, it's far too middle-of-nowhere for me
Original post by yoyo462001
What's up bro

Im good homie, how are you doing?
I think a lot of people here overrate Edinburgh compared to Glasgow. What's the difference between the two except that one has a slightly higher amount of privately educated English students, and maybe some slightly stronger and slightly weaker departments at each?
Reply 43
Original post by Smack
I think a lot of people here overrate Edinburgh compared to Glasgow. What's the difference between the two except that one has a slightly higher amount of privately educated English students, and maybe some slightly stronger and slightly weaker departments at each?

Hmm. I regret not applying to Glasgow. I would have applied there instead of Leeds.

On another note, why is Warwick overrated?
Original post by flowermaster91

Im good homie, how are you doing?

Nothing much just trying to get you some warning points :h:

Just hanging as I do, heard they don't celebrate christmas in your motherland
Original post by emiliee21
It doesnt mean i think its overrated
but the oxford English course is my least favourite out of all the ones I've seen
but thats just preference

and warwick is in a horrible city, i should know, i love there.

hmm... i have loved in a lot of places but never warwick. what is it that makes loving there so horrible? anyway call me and come to london if you want good loving.
Original post by tillytots
aberdeen

This :biggrin:

i tried that today in H and R but that flopped :nopity:

**** you bitch, reported for derailing the thread :hand:

do they even have xmas trees in nigeria :dunce: i dont think so :nopity:
Bah. Everyone on TSR would proudly wear this shirt:

:h:
Durham
but the oxford English course is my least favourite out of all the ones I've seen

Oh dear.

omg nigeria has mtn sim cards as well :rofl:
Reply 52
The American University of Central Asia.
Reply 53
Original post by TheSownRose
Manchester and Warwick.

Oh, and Exeter and Newcastle.

Oh....the "rah" unis.

They're amongst our country's leading universities. Although I do stress amongst.

You say about them being relatively new but, in all honesty, so too are Durham, London and the redbricks. All English universities are relatively new with the exception of our only ancient universities, Oxford and Cambridge. Scotland is a different matter.

Newcastle is actually as old as Durham, London and older than most of the redbricks. Just not as an independent university.

Manchester is also of the redbrick generation and as old as Durham and London and has tremendous research power with an impressive list of Nobel laureates to its name (where as VUM, MIST or the post-2004 UoM).

But the only times I see Newcastle mentioned often on TSR is in the medicine forum (due to its well known strength in medicine), discussions about its party scene and in trivial threads about "rah" unis. Apart from that it doesn't really draw particularly great attention. So I don't really see how it can be said to be overrated. In fact, if anything it is underrated as often people name it as one of the "worst" Russell Group universities. Despite having nothing to back up that claim with. Liverpool is another one with this unfair image - just because it's a traditionally working class city and slightly unfasionable.

Also, for a major Russell Group university, it doesn't seem to have quite as many vocal TSR members who are students there. Not compared to other universities of its ilk such as Bristol, Nottingham, Sheffield, Leeds or Glasgow.

I think they're all too busy partying myself....

Manchester, then Newcastle, were amongst the "in" and fashionable universities of this past 10 years. Newcastle, along with Exeter, have the "Rah" reputation. This is partly due to the party scene of both cities. But there's always this cycle of popularity. I don't think it should take anything away from them. They're good universities, no better than a host of other Russell and 1994 Group universities, but still good universities.

I do agree with Warwick to some extent. It's a great university and I wouldn't say it's overrated as such. More that other universities (especially redbricks like Liverpool, Leeds and Manchester) get diminished unfairly. Newcastle has a higher research income than Warwick. Liverpool and Aberdeen have more Nobel laureates. This never gets recognised over league tables.

So it's more that the excellence of places like UCL, Durham and Warwick get exaggerated, and the achievements and status of the redbricks and Scottish Ancients get diminished, that frustrates me. I've yet found one person who has been able to convince me that Warwick or Durham are "better" than Manchester or Sheffield.

But I do stress that Warwick is still a great university. I just don't like belittiling the achievements of universities of a similar strength, and greater history, just because they aren't "top ten".
(edited 13 years ago)

You can't hide your true feelings.

i tried that today in H and R but that flopped :nopity:

**** you bitch, reported for derailing the thread :hand:

do they even have xmas trees in nigeria :dunce: i dont think so :nopity:

Reported for being ugly and being bush. You're time here is limited :sly:
omg nigeria has mtn sim cards as well :rofl:

Grasshoppers :pierre:
Reply 56
People seem to be saying that Warwick is overrated academically because it is in the middle of nowhere, and overrated generally because it is relatively new. I would like to take this opportunity to point out that neither of these reasons make any sense at all.
Reported for being ugly and being bush. You're time here is limited :sly:

Grasshoppers :pierre:

if we could get banned for being ugly doesnt that mean you shouldve recieved a perm ban already :dunce: butters fool :hand:

do they even have food in your country?
Warwick
Oxbridge
LSE

Some users have a high and mighty attitude of snobbery against "Ex-Poly's" not all but some.

A uni is a uni.
Original post by yellowwdaisy
cambridge- for many subjects
since studying there I feel more and more strongly that oxbridge seriously needs to get with the times
and get over itself

a lot of the courses at other top unis are in all likelihood just as good and their graduates should get just as much credit for their degrees.

i could've posted that myself. just a single term at cambridge and it feels jaded and tired. maybe that's personal shortcomings, but i know that people i know, and myself before here, see and saw the institution through rose-glasses. it's different when you're in.

Latest